Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

I used to pray and i never got what i wanted but some other people claim all their prayers get answered.

I had faith it would happen,but it never came to be.
It was also not anything that might be considered materialistic.
I was also living like i was supposed to,trying to not sin as often.

So what happened?

Why do some peopl get EVERYTHING They want and others do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
God gave you what you needed, not what you wanted.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Plus, you have to remember that God is not Santa Claus or like the Genie in the Bottle. He is the Almighty everlasting God. Just asking for stuff and believing your going to get it, isn't sufficient. First it is necessary to repent of your sins, not just outwardly in words, but in your actions. It is necessary to ask God for forgiveness for your sins and your sinful life. And lastly it is necessary to have faith in God above all things. Then, by faith you are a child of God. As the Bible says; Without faith, it is impossible to please God.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I used to pray and i never got what i wanted but some other people claim all their prayers get answered.

So what happened?

look at the choices they made. Many times there were things telling them "don't that that!!!!" and they did anyway. Then they blame god because they were short sighted and stupid.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Plus, you have to remember that God is not Santa Claus or like the Genie in the Bottle. He is the Almighty everlasting God. Just asking for stuff and believing your going to get it, isn't sufficient. First it is necessary to repent of your sins, not just outwardly in words, but in your actions. It is necessary to ask God for forgiveness for your sins and your sinful life. And lastly it is necessary to have faith in God above all things. Then, by faith you are a child of God. As the Bible says; Without faith, it is impossible to please God.
Or as I often said, prayer isn't like having your own prescription in hand and God being the dutiful pharmacist obligated to fill it.

Plus, I don't know if it is completely accurate to say the some people get "everything" ... even if one does all the "necessary's".
It still comes down to "not my will but thine be done".

Last edited by twin.spin; 11-24-2014 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Or as I often said, prayer isn't like having your own prescription in hand and God being the dutiful pharmacist obligated to fill it.

"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. Mark 11:24

I cannot read this verse of scripture in any other way than........ When you pray, believe you have what you pray for and it will be yours.

Jesus taught us to pray our desires to God, we are also told to pray in faith, how can you pray in faith beleving you are receiving(or to be scriptual "received" your request)for anything if you do not know whether it is the will of God or not.

You can dispute all day long what desires are but Jesus taught the secret to answered prayer in this verse by saying believe you have received what you ask for, not believe you will, or believe if God says yes, but believe when you pray you HAVE received it, in other words go in faith knowing it is done.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Unfortunately unanswered prayer is answered prayer to most of us. In other words if we don't get what we have desired it was not the will of God.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Over the years, I have discovered and learned to trust that God knows what is best for me. I've also learned that what 'I imagined' would satisfy my eyes and stomach ... was often not what I needed or the best thing for me. Therefore, I've learned not to worry about what 'I want' or whether my preconceived answers are satisfied, but, instead to trust the provision of my faithful, loving God.

John 8:32 - "You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

...snip...
The solution is not to pray for what you want - pray to give thanks for what you have.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:

So what happened?

This is a very general question. I would try to answer but need more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity