Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,236 times

Advertisements

The several hundred thousand would be the globally large number of people every year who KNOW in their hearts they experienced 'something significantly more'. If one can not give credit to personal testimony that these occur based on the fewer better reported occurences, only believing as true what happens in ones own solitary head, then that is unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
The several hundred thousand would be the globally large number of people every year who KNOW in their hearts they experienced 'something significantly more'. If one can not give credit to personal testimony that these occur based on the fewer better reported occurences, only believing as true what happens in ones own solitary head, then that is unfortunate.
So.... this was basically an unfounded assertion on your part? I see.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So.... this was basically an unfounded assertion on your part? I see.
I'm glad you framed that as a question.

I read the other day that there are either up to 200,000 occurences per year in the US or world-wide, I cannot remember where I read it. The point is:

(1) I'm a believer, and you are not, so we are on a hiding to nothing
(2) It's not a credible position to discredit others' experiences, just because you don't believe it. ...he says. If you want some evidence, look where it's got Dawkins - absolutely nowhere, except still convinced he's right, dissing on right to life! ...but wait, that's a totally unfounded assertion as well - I totally don't follow him. ...hey, as long as he's happy, right?

There is a road that seems right unto man, but the end there-of is death.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The brain does strange things when it is deprived of oxygen.
This happened in a hospital, so she would have been in a medical ventilator, so oxygen would not have been a problem.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
She was in a medical ventilator, so oxygen would not have been a problem.
Providing oxygen to a patient is no guarantee that it is getting tot he brain. A stopped heart would prevent the oxygen circulating.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Providing oxygen to a patient is no guarantee that it is getting tot he brain. A stopped heart would prevent the oxygen circulating.
According to the story they kept pumping her heart for 45 minutes while she was in this state.

Quote:
Fresh from the operating room, Graupera-Cassimiro "went from talking to being unconscious," while in a recovery room at the hospital's Toppel Family Place, anesthesiologist Dr. Jordan Knurr said.

Doctors and nurses sprung to action, starting CPR, intubating Graupera-Cassimiro and calling in help from other parts of the hospital. Fleischer, on his way to other duties after the successful operation, hurried back. Anesthesiologists, intensivists and more nurses flowed into the room and spent over two hours trying to revive her.

"Suddenly," Fleischer said, "the heart just stopped."

They kept pumping Graupera-Cassimiro's chest for 45 minutes, taking turns to avoid exhaustion. They repeatedly tried shocking her. Nothing worked.

A distraught Fleischer told Graupera-Cassimiro's family she faced slim chances of pulling through, and brought them into the operating room. There, her mother cried out for God to "please take me instead." Her sister grabbed and hugged her.

The family left the room with nurse Julie Ewing after saying their goodbyes. They held hands and prayed, Ewing on her knees.

Then another nurse, Claire Hansen, came out of the operating room.

"Keep praying," she said, "because her heart just started."
Woman who had no pulse for 45 minutes makes recovery doctors call miraculous - Sun Sentinel

Old 11-26-2014, 06:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Her body was being kept alive artificially and her heart resumed beating.
During coronary bypass surgery, this takes place and is not considered a miracle.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Her body was being kept alive artificially and her heart resumed beating.
During coronary bypass surgery, this takes place and is not considered a miracle.
I thought that during CABG surgery the heart was intentionally re started. Does it randomly restart on its own? Sudden cardiac arrest however is not intentional and pretty random, but the best way to go if you had a choice - no pain or struggling for that last breath - just rapid onset of blissful unconsciousness as blood pressure drops off. Notwithstanding my question about intentional or random heart starts during heart surgery, I'd say a sudden cardiac arrest and a random restart, with all the the intervention, including probably defibrillation she was having, is not your everyday situation in ICU. Random is a great word to get out of having to deal with little understood phenomena.

Last edited by Age-enduring; 11-26-2014 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 09:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I do know it happens within a short period of time. Not a medical expert so don't about longer but in reports like this, very few actual facts about the situation are ever supplied.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No, unlike you I don't claim that I "just know" as an explanation for my assertions. See the link I posted.
Does that say anything about this specific incident? or are you just assuming that the link explains all incidences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity