Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,120,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When Paul preached in the synagogues, how many gentiles were in his audience?
Paul himself never mentions preaching in synagogues that I am aware of. That is in Acts. (We may note that Acts disagrees with Paul's epistles on a number of points, but no matter.) Paul, being Jewish, of course went to Shul. It is not surprising that when he was there he talked about Jesus and managed a few converts among the Jews. It appears (Acts 17) that non-Jews were coming into the synagogues to hear Paul speak and many of them were converting. Either the synagogues were in fact some kind of public place giving Paul an opportunity to talk to Gentiles as well. Or Luke is wrong and Paul did not preach in synagogues but in real public places to a mostly Gentile audience.

And Let's face it, Paul never shut up when he had an audience. Remember that guy who nodded off and fell out the window while Paul went on and on. It is also clear from both Paul's epistles and Acts that he wanted Judaizers to stay the heck away from his Gentiles.

In any case, Romans is clearly and explicitly addressed to Gentiles, but with a warning for Judaizers to shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It doesn't say "if"....
G2396

Original: ἴδε

Transliteration: ide

Phonetic: id'-eh

Thayer Definition:

behold, see
Origin: second person singular imperative active of G1492

TDNT entry: None

Part(s) of speech:

Strong's Definition: Second person singular imperative active of G1492; used as interjection to denote surprise ; lo! : - behold, lo, see.

<<PrevGo to topNext>>
I pointed to the Interlinear. It says If. Otherwise why all the obviously Gentile oriented material just before that? Paul is shifting gears and debunking Judaizers who would argue that the Gentiles need to be circumcised.

And re: your other post, I previously posted a clear analysis of the sentences early in Romans 1 showing that it is addressed explicitly to Gentiles. Answer my points in that post and not just say you don't see it.

Take your time. Going out today.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
I pointed to the Interlinear. It says If. Otherwise why all the obviously Gentile oriented material just before that? Paul is shifting gears and debunking Judaizers who would argue that the Gentiles need to be circumcised.

And re: your other post, I previously posted a clear analysis of the sentences early in Romans 1 showing that it is addressed explicitly to Gentiles. Answer my points in that post and not just say you don't see it.

Nah, you're wrong....

Old 12-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post

Luther 1545
17 Siehe aber zu, du heißest ein Jude und verlässest dich aufs Gesetz und rühmest dich Gottes

LOGOS
17 Behold, you are called a Jew, and rely on the law, and boast in God,

ABP
17 ίδε G2396 Behold! συ G1473 you Ιουδαίος επονομάζη G* G2028 are named a Jew, και G2532 and επαναπαύη G1879 rest upon τω G3588 the νόμω G3551 law, και G2532 and καυχάσαι G2744 boast εν G1722 in θεώ G2316 God,

AKJV

17 Behold, you are called a Jew, and rest in the law, and make your boast of God,

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,307,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I agree that the us are faithful christians, but I disagree that Jesus is coming to set up an earthly kingdom and will reign for 1000 years. The kingdom is here now, and Christ is reigning.
Katie - I agree with your first statement, but I believe that after the return of Christ when believers (the ones who are translated to meet Him in their spiritual bodies will rise to meet Him in the air after after those who previously died and were ressurected - I believe that is the major time when Christ will reign over all those who are part of His true followers, during the 1000 year Millennium. No unrighteous ones will be in the first resurrection, in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,307,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I agree that the us are faithful christians, but I disagree that Jesus is coming to set up an earthly kingdom and will reign for 1000 years. The kingdom is here now, and Christ is reigning.
Katie,
I agree with your first statement, but in my opinion, when Christ returns to earth in His 2nd coming, the dead will be ressrrected first to meet Him in the air after which those who are alive at His coming will be translated into their Spiritual bodies and will join them to begin the 1000 year Millennium. I don't believe any of the unrighteous will be in the first resurrection.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 PM

9,661 posts, read 1,181,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Yes in heaven--the kingdom has not taken full control of earth--yet.
Actually in the last line of the Lords prayer--Jesus teaches-- the Kingdom, power and glory all belong to--- the Father=Jehovah.
The kingdom is here now. It is the church. It was established on the day of Pentecost, AFTER Jesus gave us the model prayer.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 PM

9,661 posts, read 1,181,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Katie,
I agree with your first statement, but in my opinion, when Christ returns to earth in His 2nd coming, the dead will be ressrrected first to meet Him in the air after which those who are alive at His coming will be translated into their Spiritual bodies and will join them to begin the 1000 year Millennium. I don't believe any of the unrighteous will be in the first resurrection.
We need a new thread to discuss this topic. I will start one tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Luther 1545
17 Siehe aber zu, du heißest ein Jude und verlässest dich aufs Gesetz und rühmest dich Gottes

LOGOS
17 Behold, you are called a Jew, and rely on the law, and boast in God,

ABP
17 ίδε G2396 Behold! συ G1473 you Ιουδαίος επονομάζη G* G2028 are named a Jew, και G2532 and επαναπαύη G1879 rest upon τω G3588 the νόμω G3551 law, και G2532 and καυχάσαι G2744 boast εν G1722 in θεώ G2316 God,

AKJV

17 Behold, you are called a Jew, and rest in the law, and make your boast of God,
Suddenly all those verses into the letter Paul says 'Behold you are a Jew'? Like if the audience were in fact Jewish, they did not know this already? A suddenly switch of gears like 'Behold'? This follows an explicit reference in the opening to the audience being Gentile followed by a good size passage relevant if addressed to Gentiles but meaningless if addressed to Jews. Considering that, how is 'Behold you are a Jew' any different from 'Now if you were Jewish'? Especially since 'Jew' is singular and not plural as would be expected if addressed literally to the audience.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Katie - I agree with your first statement, but I believe that after the return of Christ when believers (the ones who are translated to meet Him in their spiritual bodies will rise to meet Him in the air after after those who previously died and were ressurected - I believe that is the major time when Christ will reign over all those who are part of His true followers, during the 1000 year Millennium. No unrighteous ones will be in the first resurrection, in my opinion.
And when is this Resurrection supposed to happen?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity