Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 AM

8 posts, read 7,320 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I converted from liberal Judaism to Christianity about 9 months ago, but I still haven't found a denomination. Help give me ideas of denominations to check out? I live in NY so I have access to any kind of church really. I basically agree with the Catholic Church on all matters of faith EXCEPT for papal infallibility. That idea rubs me very badly, additionally they make becoming catholic very hard. I have attended mass and felt very connected to the service but the whole pope thing isn't something I can get behind.

The natural next thing for me was to check out "high church" Anglican/Episcopal services, which I liked except for the fact that the denomination is very liberal an ordains women and condones homosexuality, this doesn't seem right.

I have been to Lutheran and Bapitist churches but the low church, evangelical preaching isn't something that I connect to spiritually and I much prefer the ritualistic liturgy and incense and the Eucharist "high church" style.

Is there any other high church denominations that use liturgy and aren't all about revival/new agent preaching and are more traditional. That do not ordain women or accept homosexuality??

If there isn't, I have to really think.. But if there is, please let me know!

Not looking to debate religion here, objective answers appreciated!!

Thanks

Btw I'm an almost. 21 year old guy,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjay1794 View Post
Hey there. I converted from liberal Judaism to Christianity about 9 months ago, but I still haven't found a denomination. Help give me ideas of denominations to check out? I live in NY so I have access to any kind of church really. I basically agree with the Catholic Church on all matters of faith EXCEPT for papal infallibility. That idea rubs me very badly, additionally they make becoming catholic very hard. I have attended mass and felt very connected to the service but the whole pope thing isn't something I can get behind.

The natural next thing for me was to check out "high church" Anglican/Episcopal services, which I liked except for the fact that the denomination is very liberal an ordains women and condones homosexuality, this doesn't seem right.

I have been to Lutheran and Bapitist churches but the low church, evangelical preaching isn't something that I connect to spiritually and I much prefer the ritualistic liturgy and incense and the Eucharist "high church" style.

Is there any other high church denominations that use liturgy and aren't all about revival/new agent preaching and are more traditional. That do not ordain women or accept homosexuality??

Thanks

Dude, the Pope infallibility is something that only Protestants talk about. For us Catholics that is never an issue worth speaking about. Pope infallibility is never discussed or mentioned during mass. Your position is similar to not liking a beautiful woman because she has one gray hair. Really, dude, who cares.

You are correct, it takes a lot of commitment and time to become a Catholic. I guess you do not have enough drive.

Giving your requirements you will not find anything better than Catholicism. It is like trying to find a more famous rock band than The Beatles.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Check out an Anglican church. They will look like Episcopal, but they're more conservative.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjay1794 View Post

Thanks

Rather than look for what "you" like, why not consider looking for a church approved by God? Do a study of the church in the NT. Use that church as your guide.

By the way, God does not approve of denominationalism. He hates division. So you may want to think about that.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Rather than look for what "you" like, why not consider looking for a church approved by God? Do a study of the church in the NT. Use that church as your guide.

By the way, God does not approve of denominationalism. He hates division. So you may want to think about that.

Blessings,

Katie
Correct. In fact if we are not careful we can find a comfortable place that has no real value in our relationship with God and is detrimental.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Dude, the Pope infallibility is something that only Protestants talk about. For us Catholics that is never an issue worth speaking about. Pope infallibility is never discussed or mentioned during mass. Your position is similar to not liking a beautiful woman because she has one gray hair. Really, dude, who cares.

You are correct, it takes a lot of commitment and time to become a Catholic. I guess you do not have enough drive.

Giving your requirements you will not find anything better than Catholicism. It is like trying to find a more famous rock band than The Beatles.
Pope infallibility is the biggest lie ever perpetrated by man. I wouldn't talk about it either It would be too embarrassing!

You shouldn't be questioning this young man's drive, Julian. I admire him for the fact that he is seeking truth. He's not just accepting what he's been told by others.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Blessings,

Katie
Good way to overwhelm a new believer. How about letting someone get "planted" and grow from there.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct. In fact if we are not careful we can find a comfortable place that has no real value in our relationship with God and is detrimental.
How right you are! This is why study is so important. Acts 17:11 tells us of the Bereans who searched the Scriptures daily to be sure that what they were being told was true.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 12-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Good way to overwhelm a new believer. How about letting someone get "planted" and grow from there.
Because there are too many "someone's" who teach falsely. It is better to go straight to the source of truth. Jesus promised that if we seek, we will find.

A simple search will lead a person to the church of the NT.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Because there are too many "someone's" who teach falsely. It is better to go straight to the source of truth. Jesus promised that if we seek, we will find.

A simple search will lead a person to the church of the NT.

Blessings,

Katie
If there is a NT church nearby, that's great. But chances are that's not the case. In the meantime, while he is studying the Word, it would probably be good for him to be in a fellowship of solid believers. The Anglican church could very well provide that, in a form that he's comfortable with right now. God has an uncanny way of using what's available, since not much is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity