Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, when a Christian such as yourself isn't exhibiting the light, does that mean you've lost it, and then it comes back, and then you lose it, and then it comes back, etc.?
A Christian is not to practice unrighteousness. If we do that which is unrighteous then the righteous thing to do is to confess that sin with a heavy heart and be remorsed for it that you you do not do it again and God will forgive you of that sin. However, if someone turns back to serve the selfishness of the flesh without remorse they no longer have the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
A Christian is not to practice unrighteousness. If we do that which is unrighteous then the righteous thing to do is to confess that sin with a heavy heart and be remorsed for it that you you do not do it again and God will forgive you of that sin. However, if someone turns back to serve the selfishness of the flesh without remorse they no longer have the light.

So, even if a person isn't exhibiting the light at any given time, that doesn't mean they don't have the light. Do you see that completely contradicts what you said before? You're saying God doesn't put the light under a bushel, but yet any time a Christian isn't exhibiting the light, they're a bushel.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,297 times
Quote:
So, even if a person isn't exhibiting the light at any given time, that doesn't mean they don't have the light. Do you see that completely contradicts what you said before? You're saying God doesn't put the light under a bushel, but yet any time a Christian isn't exhibiting the light, they're a bushel.

No, it means they don't have the light. As Paul said, you are to whom you yield yourselves to obey. This is why the confession and repentance is so important.

Jesus said we would know them by their fruits. If the don't exhibit good works they are none of His - they don't have the light.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
No, it means they don't have the light. As Paul said, you are to whom you yield yourselves to obey. This is why the confession and repentance is so important.

Jesus said we would know them by their fruits. If the don't exhibit good works they are none of His - they don't have the light.
So, you (a Christian) don't have the light at the times when you don't exhibit the light?

And then I guess that means you believe that when non-Christians are acting "righteously" they have been given the light, too?

So, God is giving light, taking it away, giving, taking, giving, taking?

Last edited by Pleroo; 12-08-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
By their fruits we will recognize them, in this case Jesus is not talking about the fruit of the spirit but what they are falsely calling what is God.

We have had 2000 years of this and Paul warned the Ephesian church that this would happen

This is what Paul said.....savage wolves will come among even from your own number and distort the truth(fruit).

We need to listen more to what is being said rather than judging sin in others as if we are perfect. For what we accept to be true whether it is true or not can cause you years of misery and destruction. What is being presented in the OP i was involved in deeply for 8 years back in the late 80's and believe me i have seen what it does, and the whole time being involved with it, i was blind to it. God took me out of it to see it and then took it out of me.
We met as a group 3 times a week each meeting would last for hours and it was the same stuff week in week out that we are poor miserable sinners and God is in all that he might be all in all. This stuff is as dangerous as the belief in eternal torment.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-08-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
By their fruits we will recognize them, in this case Jesus is not talking about the fruit of the spirit but what they are falsely calling what is God.
Please provide proof for the above statement that it is what they are falsely calling what is God and not their acts.

Quote:
We have had 2000 years of this and Paul warned the Ephesian church that this would happen

This is what Paul said.....savage wolves will come among even from your own number and distort the truth(fruit).
Please provide proof that Paul meant by "truth" that he meant "fruit."

Quote:
We need to listen more to what is being said rather than judging sin in others as if we are perfect. For what we accept to be true whether it is true or not can cause you years of misery and destruction. What is being presented in the OP i was involved in deeply for 8 years back in the late 80's and believe me i have seen what it does, and the whole time being involved with it, i was blind to it. God took me out of it to see it and then took it out of me.
We met as a group 3 times a week each meeting would last for hours and it was the same stuff week in week out that we are poor miserable sinners and God is in all that he might be all in all. This stuff is as dangerous as the belief in eternal torment.
So you are saying belief in God's sovereignty leads people to destruction but belief in free will does not?

I don't know who teaches that God presently is in all that He might be All in all. Who teaches that?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't know who teaches that God presently is in all that He might be All in all. Who teaches that?

Those who teach that God is in (responsible for) everything, including evil, because God needs people to do evil in order for his overall plan to work.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Those who teach that God is in (responsible for) everything, including evil, because God needs people to do evil in order for his overall plan to work.
I teach God is responsible for everything but I don't believe God is presently in all that He may be All in all.
God will be All in all based upon vivification and Christ's obedience.

Do you believe Judas could do otherwise than what he did in giving up the Lord and fulfilling Scripture in doing so?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I teach God is responsible for everything but I don't believe God is presently in all that He may be All in all.

It's just a different way of saying the same thing. You are saying that God is responsible for everything, including evil .. therefore God is IN it.

Edit: I believe God is in all PEOPLE. God is love, God is light, God is good ... that is what is in all people. That's what shines through when the bushel gets lifted up (or burned off?) . God is not evil, therefore, God is not causing people to do evil.

Last edited by Pleroo; 12-08-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Do you believe Judas could do otherwise than what he did in giving up the Lord and fulfilling Scripture in doing so?
The point is that I don't believe GOD causes Judas or anyone else to do things that are unloving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity