Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM

124 posts, read 118,574 times

Advertisements

I'm very lost and don't know what to believe. I can pray, read my bible and try my hardest to love others and reach out to God, but nothing was like it used to be. This depression is very real. I never understood how bad it is until it happened. Just numbness, to everything. I miss the days when I could smile.

Now all of these prophets of God are calling for horrible things in 2015. US dollar crash, famine and horrible diseases. What is there to hope for? Heaven you say. Well, the poor man and the rich man who believe in God all get heaven... I feel there is nothing worth it. This is life, this is the Christian life everyone talks about? (I know this sounds depressing, it's really how I see things.) why can't God help me to have some love again and appreciation... No one would want to know Christ by how I look, and I would not blame them either.

Has anyone ever recovered through a wilderness stage ? That is the question Id like to have answered. I can quote all your bible verses, and advice. But I want a personal story. A victory. Experience, please. It will be different for everyone, but solid hope so I will not go back to alcohol and clubs to feel happy and at home again. Thanks.

And, if any of you could say if God ever came back to you, and it didn't feel like you were floating through life with no purpose. Thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
I'm very lost and don't know what to believe. I can pray, read my bible and try my hardest to love others and reach out to God, but nothing was like it used to be. This depression is very real. I never understood how bad it is until it happened. Just numbness, to everything. I miss the days when I could smile.

Now all of these prophets of God are calling for horrible things in 2015. US dollar crash, famine and horrible diseases. What is there to hope for? Heaven you say. Well, the poor man and the rich man who believe in God all get heaven... I feel there is nothing worth it. This is life, this is the Christian life everyone talks about? (I know this sounds depressing, it's really how I see things.) why can't God help me to have some love again and appreciation... No one would want to know Christ by how I look, and I would not blame them either.

Has anyone ever recovered through a wilderness stage ? That is the question Id like to have answered. I can quote all your bible verses, and advice. But I want a personal story. A victory. Experience, please. It will be different for everyone, but solid hope so I will not go back to alcohol and clubs to feel happy and at home again. Thanks.

And, if any of you could say if God ever came back to you, and it didn't feel like you were floating through life with no purpose. Thank you again
Have you seen a doctor about your depression? If not, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible. Chemical imbalances in the brain can cause severe depression. That may very well be your problem. You won't know if you don't have it checked out by a physician.

And there are no prophets from God today. There are people who can make educated guesses about where the economy is going, and there are fear mongers proclaiming gloom and doom, and no doubt about it, there is a lot wrong in the world, but God is not revealing any new prophecies to anyone today.

Go see a doctor.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
I did survive terrible clinical depression. But I agree with Mike - you should probably see a doctor and get some meds. I had to because I was just too dysfunctional to carry on without intervention. There is no shame in seeing a psychiatrist. Your brain chemicals are probably severely depleted of seratonin.

I also recommend that you be careful about what you read and which types of Christians you hang with. I recommend Christian Universalism, not UUA, universalist apolegetics, victorious gospel if the eternal torment dogma has anything to do with your depression.

That said, even the strongest of Christians can see that the world scene is winding down and it is hard to endure some of the horrible things mankind is doing to the rest of mankind. It makes me cry even though I do not really fear death. I cry about all the suffering I have to know about and knowing that there is nothing I can do to change it or change people, nor do I have the power to make others see spiritual things. There are days when I look forward to having passed through the valley of the shadow of death because my body is aching and I'm tired and I know I have to pass through death eventually. But not by my own hand. If I still believed in the fundamentalist God, I probably would have already died from a broken heart.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Have you seen a doctor about your depression? If not, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible. Chemical imbalances in the brain can cause severe depression. That may very well be your problem. You won't know if you don't have it checked out by a physician.

Go see a doctor.
This. Absolutely. Get a full check-up and tell the doctor how you are feeling. If you have depression there are ways to treat it and you can feel MUCH better. There is help available. YOU have to take the first step toward having a happier life. I urge you to take it.

p.s. Going to clubs and drinking is self-medicating. Please...see a doctor for treatment that will HELP....not add to the problem.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Several people (including me) have suggested that you go see a doctor, have you? Alcohol will only make the issue worse.

Also what else are you doing besides praying? Staying home and reading the Bible all the time would depress the hell out of me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity