Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. Bacon is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. Bacon is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
That deserves a rep, but I'm fresh out.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you suggesting that God is angry with anyone for eating swine?
I see this passage used all the time stating that God will punish those who eat the swine still when he returns. Im trying to see what am I missing in these passages or is it being used out of context and if so what is the correct context of them.

Isaiah 65 (NKJV)

The Righteousness of God’s Judgment

65 “I was sought by those who did not ask for Me;
I was found by those who did not seek Me.
I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’
To a nation that was not called by My name.
2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,
Who walk in a way that is not good,
According to their own thoughts;
3 A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face;
Who sacrifice in gardens,
And burn incense on altars of brick;
4 Who sit among the graves,
And spend the night in the tombs;
Who eat swine’s flesh,
And the broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
5 Who say, ‘Keep to yourself,
Do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.

Isaiah 66:15-17New (NKJV)
15 For behold, the Lord will come with fire
And with His chariots, like a whirlwind,
To render His anger with fury,
And His rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For by fire and by His sword
The Lord will judge all flesh;
And the slain of the Lord shall be many.

17 “Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves,
To go to the gardens
After an idol in the midst,
Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse,
Shall be consumed together,” says the Lord.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see this passage used all the time stating that God will punish those who eat the swine still when he returns. Im trying to see what am I missing in these passages or is it being used out of context and if so what is the correct context of them.

Isaiah 65 (NKJV)

The Righteousness of God’s Judgment

65 “I was sought by those who did not ask for Me;
I was found by those who did not seek Me.
I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’
To a nation that was not called by My name.
2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,
Who walk in a way that is not good,
According to their own thoughts;
3 A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face;
Who sacrifice in gardens,
And burn incense on altars of brick;
4 Who sit among the graves,
And spend the night in the tombs;
Who eat swine’s flesh,
And the broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
5 Who say, ‘Keep to yourself,
Do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.

Isaiah 66:15-17New (NKJV)
15 For behold, the Lord will come with fire
And with His chariots, like a whirlwind,
To render His anger with fury,
And His rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For by fire and by His sword
The Lord will judge all flesh;
And the slain of the Lord shall be many.

17 “Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves,
To go to the gardens
After an idol in the midst,
Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse,
Shall be consumed together,†says the Lord.
Look at some of the other things listed. Such as those that "sit among the graves". Does the act itself mean God hates them? Is a mortician going to get punished by God because he might spend the evening around dead people? Or is the behavior typical of a group of people that God is going to punish?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
No, i think the gluttons will be the first to fall to the sword.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
fall on or swallow?

to op

think of humans as new born babies and god as an adult. Yeah, he get very mad when we eat pork, like a parent does when the kid tries to put his foot in his/her mouth.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
No BACON? Spending eternity in HELL is better than NO BACON.

Seriously, does it make a difference if it is Carolina BBQ? Cause I gotta believe God love Carolina BBQ.

OLD law, irrelevant today. Jesus is the fulfillment of the law and a completely new covenant.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:18 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,125,611 times
According to Paul Gentile Christians are not bound by Jewish Law. But according to the Council of Jerusalem they are still bound by a few of them.

Acts 15
29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.

So bacon is OK as long as the pig was not strangled and not sacrificed to idols.

You can even have bacon cheeseburgers as long as the beef is well done. So Five Guys is allowed.

But if Jesus comes to New York City this place is probably his best bet.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM

1,100 posts, read 795,914 times
Quote:
Isaiah 66:15-17(KJV)

15 For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many.
17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.
Is verse 17 speaking to a religious belief that by eating swine flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse behind one tree in the gardens will sanctify and purify themselves by doing this? Then you can't single out the eating of pork as being the same thing as all of that. I doubt any one just eating pork at a meal time is thinking they are sanctifying and purifying themselves by doing this.

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
I guess the question was more of, if the dietary laws were canceled, why is God angry at people for eating swine then, since Issiah is speaking of a future event.
I have seen people say this a lot about laws being canceled. Where does it say in the Bible that the OT laws have been canceled? If there is something in the Bible about the laws being canceled, does it state which laws?

My grandmother and others in my family never ate meat on Fridays and it was for religious reasons, but I'm not sure if it was because of Bible laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity