U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

5,616 posts, read 13,649,464 times

Advertisements

I was recently re-reading something in the first chapters of Genesis when something hit me like a brick. In Genesis 6:30, on the age limit of humanity, the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

Well, if it's true, then lets look it up in the Guiness Book of Records. Lo and behold, no one has ever lived past 122. Only one person lived at 122, the rest never got past 120, exactly as stated in Genesis from documents over 3,500 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I was recently re-reading something in the first chapters of Genesis when something hit me like a brick. In Genesis 6:30, on the age limit of humanity, the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

Well, if it's true, then lets look it up in the Guiness Book of Records. Lo and behold, no one has ever lived past 122. Only one person lived at 122, the rest never got past 120, exactly as stated in Genesis from documents over 3,500 years old.

Genesis 6:30? you sure?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,039,798 times
Quote:

Sorry to be a stickler for details, but why allow the one exception???

Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Genesis 6:30? you sure?
Sorry, Genesis 6:3

Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 PM

255 posts, read 541,815 times
But it says in Gen 9:29 it says Noah lived 950 years (350 of those after the Flood, according to verse 28).

Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Sorry to be a stickler for details, but why allow the one exception???
As a general rule, people won't live past 120. Pretty amazing that it got it right. Even more interesting is that 120 years after this pronouncement, the Flood happened. It seems God may have given the people 120 years of "patience" before he decided to wipe them out and start over, so to speak.

So many ways to interprete various aspects of Genesis, but it gets it right at the heart of the story.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times
There is also the school of thought that maintains the geneology from Adam to Noah bridges the gap between creation and the flood, just as Shem's geneology bridges the interval between the flood and Abraham.Neither history or chronolgy is to be looked for here.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,039,798 times
Quote:
As a general rule, people won't live past 120. Pretty amazing that it got it right. Even more interesting is that 120 years after this pronouncement, the Flood happened. It seems God may have given the people 120 years of "patience" before he decided to wipe them out and start over, so to speak.

So many ways to interprete various aspects of Genesis, but it gets it right at the heart of the story.
''My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

This seems pretty finite. Definite. Not just a 'general rule of thumb'. From what I understand, people believe God is pretty exact when he says something, right? We have discussions all the time as to 'literal' word for word interpretation, so why the obvious contradiction??

Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
But it says in Gen 9:29 it says Noah lived 950 years (350 of those after the Flood, according to verse 28).
I don't see this as a contradiction because of a few reasons:
  • The ones that lived long lives produced the Messiah
  • Genesis 1:6 mentions a "canopy of water" or something in the sky. This would have blocked the majority of radiation, a major pillar to long life
  • after the flood, this canopy of water, the ideal living condition, was ended
  • so early in the human era, there would not be much of any defects in the human genetic code - lack of illnesses, etc

Modern times is post-flood, and like the people who were born from then and up to modern times, don't live past 120.

Last edited by doss1; 01-04-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
''My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

This seems pretty finite. Definite. Not just a 'general rule of thumb'. From what I understand, people believe God is pretty exact when he says something, right? We have discussions all the time as to 'literal' word for word interpretation, so why the obvious contradiction??
Troop, I don't see how someone being 122 years old...2 years older than Genesis' statement of 120 years, puts the reliability of Genesis in danger. I understand what you are saying, but then we'd have to hold 99.9% of the text in Genesis accountable, as well. We don't have the minute-to-minute historical details, it's not a police report. In other words, when we look at the reliability of the New Testament and question the validity of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, we know that there are details that are different between each Gospel in regards to eyewitness testimony. Mark says something different than John, etc, but the heart of the story is correct. For example, when you have 4 different witnesses recounting their story of a car crash, each will have different details, but the main point is there: there was a car crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity