Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:34 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times

Advertisements

I see this time and time again. Practically every church I go to is always doing mission trips to Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Rarely do I hear of a church doing mission work in Europe. Why is this?

Europeans need Jesus just as much as anyone. Europe is highly secular, with VERY low church attendance, and Europeans for the most part think of church buildings as historic and not as relevant to today's society.

Does the American church think that because European countries are well off that they don't need the Gospel? That a spiritually dead Western Europe is not worth wasting our time on because they aren't poor, like other countries are?

Why do you think this is? And also, where can one find a church that actually does missions to Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,758,984 times
I'm not sure what European countries you are thinking of because Europeans are very religious. The people that choose not to be I doubt could be persuaded by American missionaries.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

And also, where can one find a church that actually does missions to Europe?
Salt Lake City, Utah.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
I live in Australia which is even less religious than America yet my church really does send missions right throughout Europe.

Last edited by other99; 12-14-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I'm not sure what European countries you are thinking of because Europeans are very religious. The people that choose not to be I doubt could be persuaded by American missionaries.
Do you have any stats about this? Europe's church attendance is in the single digits, percentage-wise.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:15 PM

908 posts, read 724,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Salt Lake City, Utah.
Indeed!

Our local church (not Mormon) sends missionaries to Spain and England, as well as other parts of the world.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,758,984 times
Quote:
Do you have any stats about this? Europe's church attendance is in the single digits, percentage-wise.
No, just personal observations.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:40 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
Quote:
I see this time and time again. Practically every church I go to is always doing mission trips to Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Rarely do I hear of a church doing mission work in Europe. Why is this?

Europeans need Jesus just as much as anyone. Europe is highly secular, with VERY low church attendance, and Europeans for the most part think of church buildings as historic and not as relevant to today's society.

Does the American church think that because European countries are well off that they don't need the Gospel? That a spiritually dead Western Europe is not worth wasting our time on because they aren't poor, like other countries are?

Why do you think this is? And also, where can one find a church that actually does missions to Europe?
Well if you think it is so, why don't you put your hand up in your local church to volunteer to doing a mission to Europe then? One person can change society as after all without Ghandi India would likely to be under British rule longer or if Martin Luther King Jr did not take a stand against racial discrimination then maybe America would still suffer more racial discrimination and the Southern states still be racially divided.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
missionaires do lot more than convert in fact that is secondary. members of my church that are engineers; drillers for water( oil here) and even dentist volunteer each summer vacation time to do work to bring clean water and other improvements in life. Most mission work is volunteers and mostly actually work.Europe doesn't need that.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM

518 posts, read 469,386 times
Quote:

I just did a quick search and found this article that say's 12 of these sign language missionaries are going to Europe.

IMB appoints 60 new missionaries

You also have to take into account that many larger religious organizations have such large operations in European countries that they are sending missionaries from within those countries to serve elsewhere in those countries. Much like is going on in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity