Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM

125 posts, read 103,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I think your question goes into what the Pope said in his sermon yesterday. How do we know what to believe about Jesus? We learn from our elders and the Church. That is the reason Jesus started a Church, so we can know Him from His teachings handed down through the ages. The Church kept them safe in their treasury. Same thing with our country. How do we know about our founding fathers if our elders, etc did not write down what they said and did?

Without the Church, Jesus 'is at the mercy of our imagination,' Pope says :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)
Quote:
How do we know what to believe about Jesus?
Read the KJV Bible. Its Gods word.

Quote:
We learn from our elders and the Church. That is the reason Jesus started a Church, so we can know Him from His teachings handed down through the ages.
The Church is never referred to as a building in scripture but the body of believers in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 06:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What actions are these ?. I know far to many people who are not christians that have all the actions that christians claim follow faith, actions that are not done to earn salvation or in fear of losing salvation.

Desire is very nice, but if the desire is not being accomplished is it really effective ?.
The thief on the cross may have had the desire to serve Christ too, but was simply not able to. He was saved through his faith anyway.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Scripture teaches that there is joy and peace in believing. You would have to say if both of these are evident in our lives we are believing. Peace that the world cannot give, peace that the world cannot understand and peace that passes all understanding.

Great peace have they that love your law.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The thief on the cross may have had the desire to serve Christ too, but was simply not able to. He was saved through his faith anyway.
But you and I are not hanging on crosses about to pass away so we are able to, and the thief was not desiring anything other than to be remembered by Christ before he departed this dimension.

Desire is worthless unless it is being accomplished. Being well intentioned is not proof of anything.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
But you and I are not hanging on crosses about to pass away so we are able to, and the thief was not desiring anything other than to be remembered by Christ before he departed this dimension.

Desire is worthless unless it is being accomplished. Being well intentioned is not proof of anything.
You do not know what he desired, or did not desire. His obedience was his belief, and it was enough for his salvation.

If you feel you have to prove something to someone, then you better get busy with it.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:08 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Scripture teaches that there is joy and peace in believing.
Very succinct statement. If you truly believe in Jesus and Christianity, then you will have joy and peace.

As we learned in math class, p implies q.

An equivalent statement is: If q is false, then p is false. That is called the contrapositive.

That means that if you do not have joy and peace, then you do not truly believe in Jesus and Christianity.

That is one way to answer the question posed by the OP.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You do not know what he desired, or did not desire. His obedience was his belief, and it was enough for his salvation.

If you feel you have to prove something to someone, then you better get busy with it.
To try and justify that because you have a desire to serve christ means something, you are actually deceiving yourself.
Let me give an example of desire and desire accomplished. I have a tune running around my head i have a desire to pick up my lovely new shiny hofner violin bass i had for christmas(because i was a very good boy) to play the tune, but unless i pick up the shiny new hofner violin bass and play that tune running around my head the tune remains a desire and nothing else. No one sees or hears the desire.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:

You are reading what you want to see into that scripture. Belief is not obedience. Obedience is proof that you believe. Desire to be obey is not proof.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
To try and justify that because you have a desire to serve christ means something, you are actually deceiving yourself.
Let me give an example of desire and desire accomplished. I have a tune running around my head i have a desire to pick up my lovely new shiny hofner violin bass i had for christmas(because i was a very good boy) to play the tune, but unless i pick up the shiny new hofner violin bass and play that tune running around my head the tune remains a desire and nothing else. No one sees or hears the desire.
Do you realize you are arguing against your own straw man argument?

Like I said earlier: Actions are the natural result of faith.

Natural result means they are done out of genuine desire to do it, as opposed to doing it out of fear, or like in your case, doing it in order to prove something to someone.

You twisted 'natural result' into "desire without action". Why?

Old 01-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Do you realize you are arguing against your own straw man argument?

Like I said earlier: Actions are the natural result of faith.

Natural result means they are done out of genuine desire to do it, as opposed to doing it out of fear, or like in your case, doing it in order to prove something to someone.

You twisted 'natural result' into "desire without action". Why?
There is no strawman, i am exposing your belief that desire is proof of anything is false . I know you are a big believer in OSAS a doctrine that was created to justify self that if you have a desire to serve christ but the desire is not evident you still go to the heaven you believe in instead of the hell you also believe in.

Joy and peace is the proof of believing, for those who are believing have found Christ in them to be their all in all. Peace that cannot be found in the world and peace that the world cannot understand. Meet a person with joy and peace then you have met some one believing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity