Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
From the Encyclopedia Brittanica

Logos

"Logos, ( Greek: “word,” “reason,” or “plan”) plural logoi, in Greek philosophy and theology, the divine reason implicit in the cosmos, ordering it and giving it form and meaning. Though the concept defined by the term logos is found in Greek, Indian, Egyptian, and Persian philosophical and theological systems, it became particularly significant in Christian writings and doctrines to describe or define the role of Jesus Christ as the principle of God active in the creation and the continuous structuring of the cosmos and in revealing the divine plan of salvation to man. It thus underlies the basic Christian doctrine of the preexistence of Jesus."

Jesus was the builder god.

The master worker==Proverbs 8--1Corinthians 1:30)

Let us make man in -our-image -- God(Yhwh)and his master worker( Jesus)

Prov 8:22--- Gods master worker speaking truth--Produced(created) me as the beginning of your( YHWH) way. means--created direct from YHWH--first and last--all other things created--through Jesus(acts 2:22)
Prov goes on to say--grew especially fond of me( Jesus) also ( psalm 45:7)oiled me more than my (partners) = angels.
Coll 1:15-- The firstborn of --ALL-- creation( beginning)

The word(Logos) lives 24/7 to do his Fathers will, he is the Fathers exact image( never the real article)--The Father does all of it, through Jesus(Acts 2:22)--Jesus taught--The Father is greater than I. Jesus was given everything from the Father--taught everything from the Father. Was appointed king from the Father(ancient of days-Daniel 7:13-15)---- Jesus taught-100% truth( word) = Gods living word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Word = Logos

Why is Jesus called the Word?

What is meant by Word/Logos?

Blessings,

Katie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Christ_the_Logos

Christ (logos) is the embodiment of Pure Reason
logos means word.
when you are wording you are reasoning
only humans are worders because only humans possess the capacity for objective reasoning.
objectivity is what makes us human.

the phrase "of God" means infinite therefore the "Word(er) of God" has infinite reason and infinite objectivity

Old 12-23-2014, 07:46 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Word = Logos

Why is Jesus called the Word?

What is meant by Word/Logos?

Blessings,

Katie
Representative.

Jesus constantly told us he came in his Father's name, spoke what His father wanted said and if we see him we have seen the father. He represented God perfectly to us as his Father's agent.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

Jesus name in Heaven was NEVER the word, the “WORD” isn't a name. In fact, we can see from scriptures while Jesus was in Heaven , he was called “Michael”. Some say this isn't Jesus ,but scriptures shows otherwise ,(Dan. 10:21But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince). And (Dan. 12:1And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book). Jehovah had NO earthly Prince called Michael, and ONLY Jesus is called the“Great Prince". No other Angel is given that title or right. Also it is Jesus who made a way for Jehovah's people to gain life.

What MANY ministers failed to teach, was the fact that Jesus NOT only was sent to die so that we may live. But he was also sent to teach uswhat his Father wanted us to know, so that we MAY live. This is why Jesus told us to follow him ,(Luke9:23). Jesus told us NOT his words, but his Fathers ,(John 12:49For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak). And he told us that if we loved him, we would obey HIS Father'swords ,(John 14:24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which yehear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me). So Jesus is called “THE WORD”, because he taught ALL his Father wanted him to teach us. peace

Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 AM

802 posts, read 453,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post

Jesus name in Heaven was NEVER the word, the “WORD†isn't a name. In fact, we can see from scriptures while Jesus was in Heaven , he was called “Michaelâ€. Some say this isn't Jesus ,but scriptures shows otherwise ,(Dan. 10:21But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince). And (Dan. 12:1And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book). Jehovah had NO earthly Prince called Michael, and ONLY Jesus is called the“Great Prince". No other Angel is given that title or right. Also it is Jesus who made a way for Jehovah's people to gain life.

What MANY ministers failed to teach, was the fact that Jesus NOT only was sent to die so that we may live. But he was also sent to teach uswhat his Father wanted us to know, so that we MAY live. This is why Jesus told us to follow him ,(Luke9:23). Jesus told us NOT his words, but his Fathers ,(John 12:49For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak). And he told us that if we loved him, we would obey HIS Father'swords ,(John 14:24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which yehear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me). So Jesus is called “THE WORDâ€, because he taught ALL his Father wanted him to teach us. peace
This post attributed by jo-jo50 to me (Galileo 2) isn't mine.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Notice that the book of Genesis starts out with "In the beginning..."? So does John 1. It's John's way of pointing to Jesus as God.

"The use of logos implies that John was endeavoring to bring out the full significance of the Incarnation to the Gentile world as well as to the Jewish people. He does not adopt the Greek concept in its entirety, but he uses this term to indicate that Jesus had universal rather than local significance and that he spoke with ultimate authority. He was preexistent, involved in the act of creation, and therefore superior to all created beings. This presentation lifts Christ above the materialistic, pagan concept of deities just as the Incarnation brings the Hebrew concept of God into everyday life."

Tenney, M. C. (1981). John. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: John and Acts (Vol. 9, p. 28). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Notice that the book of Genesis starts out with "In the beginning..."? So does John 1. It's John's way of pointing to Jesus as God.

"The use of logos implies that John was endeavoring to bring out the full significance of the Incarnation to the Gentile world as well as to the Jewish people. He does not adopt the Greek concept in its entirety, but he uses this term to indicate that Jesus had universal rather than local significance and that he spoke with ultimate authority. He was preexistent, involved in the act of creation, and therefore superior to all created beings. This presentation lifts Christ above the materialistic, pagan concept of deities just as the Incarnation brings the Hebrew concept of God into everyday life."

Tenney, M. C. (1981). John. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: John and Acts (Vol. 9, p. 28). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

there are two roads--light--darkness

Jesus--John 20:17, Rev 3:12--Paul-2Cor 1:3, 1Cor 8:6, 1Cor 15:24-28--Peter-1Peter 1:3--John at rev 1;6---- the most taught truth in the nt( there are many spots) = Jesus has a God-his Father.-- All in agreement.

anyone teaching anything besides this truth that Jesus and his--REAL teachers teach---reside in the darkness---Not one of those teachers would ever contradict that truth and teach Jesus is God.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
there are two roads--light--darkness

Jesus--John 20:17, Rev 3:12--Paul-2Cor 1:3, 1Cor 8:6, 1Cor 15:24-28--Peter-1Peter 1:3--John at rev 1;6---- the most taught truth in the nt( there are many spots) = Jesus has a God-his Father.-- All in agreement.

anyone teaching anything besides this truth that Jesus and his--REAL teachers teach---reside in the darkness---Not one of those teachers would ever contradict that truth and teach Jesus is God.
And the beginning may not be the very beginning as angels were created before the beginning mentioned in Genesis 1:1. John 1:1 could refer to the very beginning or the beginning of physical creation.

Many prefer the clouded as to meaning "the word was God" to support an unscriptural teaching. In fact that translation is more supportive of Oneness than the Trinity if the word "God" there is translated to mean a Definite noun as even Trinitarian language scholars admit. They of course do not hear this in the churches.

Last edited by expatCA; 12-23-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And the beginning may not be the very beginning as angels were created before the beginning mentioned in Genesis 1:1. John 1:1 could refer to the very beginning or the beginning of physical creation.

Many prefer the clouded as to meaning "the word was God" to support an unscriptural teaching. In fact that translation is more supportive of Oneness than the Trinity if the word "God" there is translated to mean a Definite noun as even Trinitarian language scholars admit. They of course do not hear this in the churches.

The whole trinity backing --John 1:1 and worship to Jesus--two very misleading subtle errors in translating.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The whole trinity backing --John 1:1 and worship to Jesus--two very misleading subtle errors in translating.
Subtle only to those who don't bother to check the facts. Glad you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity