Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 AM

33 posts, read 46,268 times

Advertisements

Hi
What food must be avoided during Holiday season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
It depends on which Religion you are asking about, some there are no food restrictions during the Christmas Season others there are restrictions so you must be more detailed with your question.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:46 AM

33 posts, read 46,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It depends on which Religion you are asking about, some there are no food restrictions during the Christmas Season others there are restrictions so you must be more detailed with your question.

I am Christian. Me and my family is on vacation.It not possible to order healthy dishes all the time. so suggest me what food should be avoided? Hope you understand the question!!

Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Usually food and drinks with alcohol should be avoided , as this will bring irreverence to Holy Spirit ....... Then food and candy and sodas with high is sugar should be resisted as this can trigger diabetes illness ........Then some bottom eating fish and shell fish and some wild sea food can have mercury which can lead to bad health .....Then to much red meat like pork and beef can lead to digestive problem, and bad cholesterol counts in the blood ......Should drink water from bottled water if you are traveling in different locations ... See the body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit so we should protect our bodies for God

Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I tend to avoid really spicy foods. I also try to stay away from processed pumpkin pie and other foods that have high fructose corn syrup, GMOs and more than 60% fat content.

As for alcohol, Christ made wine (the best they ever had) for a wedding, so are we really honoring anyone if we denounce alcohol (was Jesus just a bootlegger?) Or should we do all things in moderation? Is it the alcohol that is creating irreverency or the drunkeness?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Pennington View Post
Hi
What food must be avoided during Holiday season?
No food must be avoided during the Christmas season or at any other time of the year unless you place yourself under the bondage of some religious system that forbids certain foods.
Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--17] things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

1 Tim. 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2] by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3] men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4] For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
There was an issue during the first century whether or not it was okay to eat meat which had been sacrificed to idols. This had been a prohibition to the Jews under the Mosaic Law, but the Church is not under the Mosaic Law. However, many Jews who had believed on Christ Jesus did not know of their freedom in Christ and still clung to the food restrictions that existed under Judaism. For that reason, at the council at Jerusalem (see Acts chapter 15), in order to keep peace in the Church, it was James' judgment that Gentile believers should abstain from eating meat which had been sacrificed to idols (Acts 15:20,29).

Paul addressed this same issue in 1 Corinthians chapter 8 in which he speaks of the Christian's liberty in Christ by which we may eat what we wish, but that we should refrain from doing so in the presence of someone who does not know of his freedom and therefore his conscience be seared should he be encouraged to eat food which he himself does not believe is okay to eat.

Read the following.
What does the Bible say about eating food/meat that has been sacrificed to idols?

There are I suppose, some denominations which practice abstaining from eating certain things during the holiday season, but it is not Biblical.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Pennington View Post
I am Christian. Me and my family is on vacation.It not possible to order healthy dishes all the time. so suggest me what food should be avoided? Hope you understand the question!!
Anne, from the standpoint of being a Christian you may eat whatever you wish. See my previous post. From the standpoint of health, that is a different issue. If you or someone in your family has health concerns that make eating certain foods an issue, I would suggest asking in the Health and Wellness forum, or better yet, asking your doctor. But you seem to be asking from the standpoint of being a Christian.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-29-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No food must be avoided during the Christmas season or at any other time of the year unless you place yourself under the bondage of some religious system that forbids certain foods.
Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--17] things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

1 Tim. 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2] by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3] men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4] For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
There was an issue during the first century whether or not it was okay to eat meat which had been sacrificed to idols. This had been a prohibition to the Jews under the Mosaic Law, but the Church is not under the Mosaic Law. However, many Jews who had believed on Christ Jesus did not know of their freedom in Christ and still clung to the food restrictions that existed under Judaism. For that reason, at the council at Jerusalem (see Acts chapter 15), in order to keep peace in the Church, it was James' judgment that Gentile believers should abstain from eating meat which had been sacrificed to idols (Acts 15:20,29).

Paul addressed this same issue in 1 Corinthians chapter 8 in which he speaks of the Christian's liberty in Christ by which we may eat what we wish, but that we should refrain from doing so in the presence of someone who does not know of his freedom and therefore his conscience be seared should he be encouraged to eat food which he himself does not believe is okay to eat.

Read the following.
What does the Bible say about eating food/meat that has been sacrificed to idols?

There are I suppose, some denominations which practice abstaining from eating certain things during the holiday season, but it is not Biblical.

Oh, poo, poo, Mike...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity