Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh, I agree the name came to mean one division of the Church, the Rome based one. It is not the name of the original church at all, nor all of it's branches.

Thus using the name has nothing to do with being the original or same church as established at Pentecost.
yes, there were many other factions, but the church that prevailed was the Catholic Church. And you are correct, the original Church was Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
At Nicea it covered 300 churches that Bishops attended from. It did not cover the 1500 that did not attend. A minority vote and the Creed still needed work, so not led by God's spirit.

In fact the Bishop of Rome did not attend, thus at best it shows he is not needed to make decisions of such magnitude at all. Just another Bishop.
I agree, this was an ecumenical council. However, the last paragraph in 325 AD states:

But those who say: 'There was a time when he was not;' and 'He was not before he was made;' and 'He was made out of nothing,' or 'He is of another substance' or 'essence,' or 'The Son of God is created,' or 'changeable,' or 'alterable'—they are condemned by the holy catholic and apostolic Church.

Clearly there is a Catholic and Apostolic Church well before the council.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re: 'Clearly there is a Catholic and Apostolic Church well before the council'

Looks like Tertullian notes its 'catholicity' which occurred at an earlier time:

'We are but of yesterday and we have filled everything , cities, islands, camps, palace, forum- all you have left is temples'. He goes on to say Britain was conquered by Christ in areas that Rome didn't reach. And there was the social aspect where Christianity invited men, women, children , the needy, the oppressed and others from all social classes. (According to Celsus , who gives it a wry jab, it also brought in 'crooks' and 'simpletons'!).

Really it's almost as if in those very early years that tbe future of the 'Church' was ordained to be described as 'catholic'.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, this was an ecumenical council. However, the last paragraph in 325 AD states:

But those who say: 'There was a time when he was not;' and 'He was not before he was made;' and 'He was made out of nothing,' or 'He is of another substance' or 'essence,' or 'The Son of God is created,' or 'changeable,' or 'alterable'—they are condemned by the holy catholic and apostolic Church.

the holy catholic and apostolic Church.

a Catholic and Apostolic Church

See the difference? This simply goes along with what has been said the early church had divisions and the Nicene creed did not represent all of them as the vast majority of Bishops did not attend, including the Bishop of Rome. The bishop of Rome, the head of the Catholic Church had nothing to say or do with it, thus NOT Catholic church related. He just said OK to the minority and the emperor.

Plus Christs church would never allow a polemical entity, like an emperor, to dictate ANYTHING to do with doctrine.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,125,611 times
Quote:

Quote:

See the difference? This simply goes along with what has been said the early church had divisions and the Nicene creed did not represent all of them as the vast majority of Bishops did not attend, including the Bishop of Rome. The bishop of Rome, the head of the Catholic Church had nothing to say or do with it, thus NOT Catholic church related. He just said OK to the minority and the emperor.

Plus Christs church would never allow a polemical entity, like an emperor, to dictate ANYTHING to do with doctrine.
You are missing the point. The language used at Nicaea clearly shows a sense of an already existing Catholic and Apostolic Church. What was decided at Nicaea or who attended is irrelevant. There were people who took the existence of such a entity as already established fact.

The question was when the word Catholic was first used to refer to an organized Church. This was it.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Oh please, capitalization was very rare in ancient writings and mostly used at the onset of a paragraph. It is really moot to discussed little c and capital C.

It is a moot point to discuss little c and capital C. I am reminded of the useless little stone and big stone debate regarding Matt 16: 18,.

What really matters is that the Church is apostolic. The Catholic aspect is just a name that means universal.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Oh please, capitalization was very rare in ancient writings and mostly used at the onset of a paragraph. It is really moot to discussed little c and capital C.

It is a moot point to discuss little c and capital C. I am reminded of the useless little stone and big stone debate regarding Matt 16: 18,.

What really matters is that the Church is apostolic. The Catholic aspect is just a name that means universal.
That group claimed to be Universal and Apostolic. History tells us otherwise. It was one of many.

You do know Apostles were not Bishops and vice verse?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
That group claimed to be Universal and Apostolic. History tells us otherwise. It was one of many.

You do know Apostles were not Bishops and vice verse?
Sure, but the original Christian Church continues to be Catholic and Apostolic. And those other Churches that remain Catholic and Apostolic are OK too.

There were no Protestants in that era. Sola Scriptura did not exist either because the WORD FO GOD was spread Orally and by Tradition (checked with Apostolic Succession). The final canon of the NT was not formal yet in 325 AD.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:47 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
The Catholic aspect is just a name that means universal.
And packs a punch I'd say with the Greek 'koinonia' and its subtle conceptions of community and catholicity.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You can go here to ask. Catholic Answers and to the forum section.

I never hear the priest call us Roman Catholic, all I hear is we are Catholic. In any survey or list of religions all I see is Catholic or Protestant listed, etc. I never see Roman Catholic as opposed to Catholic.
Dear Janelle,
I went to Catholic school in the early 50s. The church was referred to as the Holy Roman Catholic Church. And of course one of the teachings at the time was that all my Protestant friends were destined for hell. The same would go for me if I happened to go to their church or miss Easter service. Eating meat on Friday was a major sin. You seem to have missed the good times. Our teachers were nuns in black and white habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity