Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus Christ will always be against those who are called to shepherd the flock but ensnare them with their doctrines and traditions instead of leading them by still waters(the peace of God)and into green pastures.

Are you reading what you type?

"Jesus Christ will always be against those who are called to shepherd the flock" "but"

"ensnare them with their doctrines and traditions"

"instead of leading them by the still waters and into green pastures".

God is not the Author of confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Jesus prayed in synagogues and in public, as well as private. This verse has to do with the reason for praying. Jesus felt that some church leaders were only praying in the synagogue to show how righteous they were, but they actually were not.

As for the "received their reward in full," I am not sure what this means; however, it may simply mean that people or the leaders themselves thought the leaders were being righteous.
If they succeeded in convincing other people they were righteous, then that recognition was their reward.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Are you reading what you type?

"Jesus Christ will always be against those who are called to shepherd the flock" "but"

"ensnare them with their doctrines and traditions"

"instead of leading them by the still waters and into green pastures".

God is not the Author of confusion.
What is confusing about what i said ? he's against the shepherds who are called to shepherd the flock but ensnare them with the doctrines and traditions of men instead.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is confusing about what i said ? he's against the shepherds who are called to shepherd the flock but ensnare them with the doctrines and traditions of men instead.
I deeply apologize. I see what you mean now, I didn't before and you are correct.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
The people who ostentatiously pray in public do so to impress other people and aggrandize themselves. Stoking their egos is all the reward they are ever going to receive for their prayers. This is another example of Jesus berating the Shammai Pharisees and the Sadducees of the day who were obsessed with hypocritically following the outward form of religion at the cost of the spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
"reward in full"...

Those who prayed for the crowds, received the crowd's adulation. That's their reward.

Probably also meant whatever was said to God would be ignored - since they already received what they desired - which was not God's answer, but the crowd's approval and awe at their perceived piety and religiousity.
I wasn't too sure about what the reward part was about, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

If someone goes to church though and goes not to show off but to really pray, then I am assuming that person is fine in God's eyes. It's just the fake people that Bible verse is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity