Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
We are made of the electrons that were created 13.7 billion years ago. I agree with you!

But, these folks try to use science to justify the first verses of Genesis.
I see what you mean. But I don't equate what I feel to be God with the Bible. I just don't connect all of those dots. But that's just me.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I see what you mean. But I don't equate what I feel to be God with the Bible. I just don't connect all of those dots. But that's just me.
You can believe in Science and in some sort of creation. All you have to do is live in two compartments. It is a bit like having relationships with two different women at the same time. You enjoy each and do not mix them.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,502 times
God created all ~ http://youtu.be/v67V3KtaSno

Old 01-10-2015, 09:19 PM

God created Us in HIS IMAGE~ just like He said http://youtu.be/T9CkNbTGI5A

Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 PM

God sent a Angel to Guard Eden ~ Eden~ http://youtu.be/2K2XfdCjXfk
Angel~ http://youtu.be/fov4BR1gmbM

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
God created Us in HIS IMAGE~ just like He said http://youtu.be/T9CkNbTGI5A
More like the reverse.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:30 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You can believe in Science and in some sort of creation. All you have to do is live in two compartments. It is a bit like having relationships with two different women at the same time. You enjoy each and do not mix them.
A good (and disturbing) analogy. Much like being with two different women at the same time, simultaneously believing in two contradictory things requires an awful lot of dishonesty. Am I right?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
God sent a Angel to Guard Eden ~ Eden~ http://youtu.be/2K2XfdCjXfk
Angel~ http://youtu.be/fov4BR1gmbM
There was no Garden of Eden. The Genesis creation story is no less of a myth than the epic of Gilgamesh.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
Yes, I believe in "after its own kind". That is the problem I have with the Adam and Eve theory and the evolution theory. "Man evolved from one African pair" is as bad for me as the Adam and Eve theory. The races are too different. Two Africans did not produce two Swedish people even if they had one billion years to do it. Biology tells us that is not possible. The Africans had 2 brown eyed genes, they could not have produced a blue-eyed child. Again, if everyone on this planet came from apes, where did the races come from? Where did the apes come from? Why would two ape-people have travelled to different parts of the world? Why would 50 ape-people pairs have travelled all over the world? Several on here said that if you live in trees and that's a good environment for you, your not going to change. Well, it seems to be a good enough environment today. Where did so many apes come from that they had to move away?

If evolution as it has been portrayed was going on a billion years ago, then it would have continued. Now, a billion years later, we are not seeing anything in various stages of evolution. We should be able to see the products of what started through out the last billion years. Someone on here said that evolutions stops when a species has evolved enough. Who made that rule? Evolution is a process that started because of need, but it just stops when the creature is happy with itself? That's not logical.

Intra species evolution I get. It's the leap from fish to man that I can't accept or any of the leaps from species to species that I just can't wrap my head around. Science may have a lot of answers, but there are still many holes and questions. Many here have drawn conclusions or suppositions that I can't draw. And, there are just so many questions without answers for me. Just like the questions I had about the Bible. Maybe my problem is my belief in God and a need for things to be logical and orderly. Evolution seems too helter-skelter. It just doesn't seem to be the whole answer to me. I really liked Carl Sagan. He said we didn't know where or how it all started. He said we have to start from what we do know. What he knew was "after its own kind" and he started from there.
The thread appears to be teetering on debating creation vs evolution. You have posters that believe God created life, those that attempt to reconcile belief in God with evolution, those who deny the existence of any deity and accept evolution as the only explanation.

It does take a certain amount of faith no matter what you believe. Let's be honest people who believe in God obviously have faith that God created life. But, it's not a blind faith as we can observe the natural world to guide our understanding of creation. We can reason from science and medicine about whether mutations are beneficial, harmful or neutral. Many people who believe in evolution do so because they accept that more intelligent and knowledgeable people have concluded evolution is an established fact. Why? because evolution is not an easy concept to understand. Why is that? while evolution is a "fact" the underpinnings of it are changing and subject to debate within the scientific community. What drives evolution is under debate. Some noteworthy evolutionary biologists and paleontologists such as Henry Gee have made candid comments with regard to the fossil record's support of evolution and evolutionary biologists are realizing that life had multiple beginnings (chopping down the evolutionary tree). One expects to see increasing diversity as species continually diversify to create higher levels of taxonomic order. The fossil record actually shows otherwise with many animal groups showing the most diversity early in their history. It's not to incite a debate of creation vs evolution but simply to highlight that faith (as defined in a dictionary) is not just limited to those who believe in a deity but also those who accept evolution.

I understand those who are skeptical about creation. However, there is reason to take what is posted on this threads about evolution with skepticism as well since some very important concepts are subject to debate even among those thoroughly familiar with evolution.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A good (and disturbing) analogy. Much like being with two different women at the same time, simultaneously believing in two contradictory things requires an awful lot of dishonesty. Am I right?
Having an affair is dishonest. However, many folks involved in adultery often love the spouse and the concubine. Happens all the time----they enjoy time with both women in very different circumstances and compartments.

This photo may help you grasp this concept:

You think it is dishonest to be a Catholic and an agnostic because you are a newbie Atheist. Some of you guys are "ALL OR NOTHING" types. Either an evangelical fundamentalist or an extreme atheist. I think both positions are incorrect, but some people need to be that way. Fundamentalists Atheists can be as intolerant as fundamentalist evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity