Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

The bible says it's the holy spirit's job to convict people of their sin, so if you believe that, why try to usurp that job?

Seems to me that the one situation in which confronting someone about their "sin" is valid, is when it is something they've done to you that causes you to be unable to be in community with them AND your desire is to be back in fellowship with them, not just have an opportunity to express your anger, or get revenge, or get them to apologize to you. And, if the motive really is to restore the relationship, then we're going to be wide open to hearing from the other person about how WE may have contributed to the problem as well, so that we can address our own issues.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I was being snarky . I was poking fun at the tendency for Christians to see the "sin" in others but not in themselves.
Gotcha.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Okay, I've come across this admonition a couple of time recently (sorry, can't remember the verse), but the gist is that God tells someone in the Old Testament that He will hold them responsible for not admonishing a sinner. If the sinner continues to sin, it will be on the sinner to suffer, etc...but if the person receiving the message to God fails to warn the sinner, he too will be held accountable.

In reality, the sinners (I have some in mind) would laugh off any such warning. Maybe there's a better way of getting the message across.

Anyone with experience in this predicament?
Yes, we all are.

Some of us relieve that angst by taking the bible as literally true or literally false. The rest of us are left trying to clean up their mess.

use common sense. We feed the poor and protect the weak. In doing so we have to tell some people not to do certain things. If you stand around and let a rapist do it again you are responsible for that second victim. If we allow a parent to raise a dangerous child that grows up to hurt people we are responsible.

Jesus is telling you that "doing nothing" is a choice. and there are consequences to that choice. Period. But keep in mind, common sense. Sometimes "doing nothing" is a valid choice. The cross teaches to that notion. It also shows us that ... It doesn't have to feel good to be a valid choice.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

The bible says it's the holy spirit's job to convict people of their sin, so if you believe that, why try to usurp that job?

Seems to me that the one situation in which confronting someone about their "sin" is valid, is when it is something they've done to you that causes you to be unable to be in community with them AND your desire is to be back in fellowship with them, not just have an opportunity to express your anger, or get revenge, or get them to apologize to you. And, if the motive really is to restore the relationship, then we're going to be wide open to hearing from the other person about how WE may have contributed to the problem as well, so that we can address our own issues.
The problem is evangelicals do not know the difference between the bible and the holy spirit.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it is done for the benefit of the fellow believer. Of course if the advice is not welcome, then that is the end of it. As you can see some people are offended by such advice. They feel they are being unfairly judged.
Offended for pointing out the hypocrisy that knowing all to well my own failures and shortcomings(yes that is what was said and believed by many too who are sin conscious), God gave me the right to point it out the failures and shortcoming in others?.Do you not see why Jesus said get that plank out of your own eye first, then we will talk ?. I would suggest it is you who is offended for being told you do not have that right . I suppose when you are never wrong it means there is no plank in your eye.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-06-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yes, we all are.

Some of us relieve that angst by taking the bible as literally true or literally false. The rest of us are left trying to clean up their mess.

use common sense. We feed the poor and protect the weak. In doing so we have to tell some people not to do certain things. If you stand around and let a rapist do it again you are responsible for that second victim. If we allow a parent to raise a dangerous child that grows up to hurt people we are responsible.

Jesus is telling you that "doing nothing" is a choice. and there are consequences to that choice. Period. But keep in mind, common sense. Sometimes "doing nothing" is a valid choice. The cross teaches to that notion. It also shows us that ... It doesn't have to feel good to be a valid choice.
There's a difference between stepping in to protect people who aren't able to protect themselves from another person's harmful behavior, and "warning someone of their sin" because you think you are the morality police and other people can't figure out on their own what is right and wrong.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Offended for pointing out the hypocrisy that knowing all to well my own failures and shortcomings(yes that is what was said and believed by many too who are sin conscious), God gave me the right to point it out the failures and shortcoming in others?
Offended in the way you are offended right now at the mere thought of a Christian brother or sister offering you instruction.

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently."

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first"

Don't be too proud to receive instruction. Everyone is wrong sometimes, even you.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:01 AM

You who have just a speck of dust in your eye when you have removed it and feel the need to go to those who have a plank in their eye to gently remove it without condemnation, do not be surprised when they say to you "what plank?" .
1 pcamps chapter 1 verse 2

We don't have planks in our eyes, we have believed in Jesus and believe the bible is inerrant and infallible( a 21st century way of saying we are Abraham's descendants and don't have planks in our eyes).

Last edited by pcamps; 01-06-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Offended in the way you are offended right now at the mere thought of a Christian brother or sister offering you instruction.

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently."

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first"

Don't be too proud to receive instruction. Everyone is wrong sometimes, even you.
Why would you correct another when you have failings and shortcomings yourself. Are you that blind that you do not see the hypocrisy of that ?.

Do you not see why Jesus said get that plank out of your own eye first, then we will talk ?. I would again suggest it is you who is offended for being told you do not have that right to take the speck of dust out of your brothers eye . I suppose when you are never wrong it means there is no plank in your eye.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Finn Jarber.......righteous judgement is seeing another how God sees yourself. How do you see yourself ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity