Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've come across this admonition a couple of time recently (sorry, can't remember the verse), but the gist is that God tells someone in the Old Testament that He will hold them responsible for not admonishing a sinner. If the sinner continues to sin, it will be on the sinner to suffer, etc...but if the person receiving the message to God fails to warn the sinner, he too will be held accountable.

In reality, the sinners (I have some in mind) would laugh off any such warning. Maybe there's a better way of getting the message across.

Anyone with experience in this predicament?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Of course there is a better way to get "The message across". Christians should NEVER admonish any unbeliever about their sins. It's futile and unbiblical. Our Lord whom we should try to emulate as closely as possible said, "I did not come to judge the world but to save the world". Jesus gave His followers a commission and it's the only remedy for sin. Preach the gospel to the world. That is the only remedy for sin. It's by hearing the good news that people get saved and at that point they voluntarily put themselves under the authority of the Church. The church definitely has a responsibility to admonish our brothers and sisters, {in love} regarding their battle over the flesh. The holy spirit begins to work in the lives of those who come to faith and between Him and the Church people advance along the road to sanctification.

Christians who are always trying to bring the secular into conformity with the Law of God are very misguided. Do they suppose that in terms of eternity it helps the unbeliever a single iota to give up whatever their own particular sins might be? That my friends if purely secular work and you might as well be Oprah or Dr. Phil as that pursuit is exactly what they are always attempting to do. Finally, as you are tempted to point our the sins in others, consider your own sins and pray that God would empower you to defeat your own weaknesses.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
No, trust me, I have no desire of even speaking with these people. I just have run into this Bible verse a couple of times recently and was wondering if God was trying to tell me something.
I don't think it would do any good to tell them what they've done is wrong. It's actually horrendous, and I don't think they're going anywhere good after their lives are over on this planet. That's the sad part.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:32 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
We should just be sharing our testimony and the gospel and giving the glory to God.

Pointing out someone's sin to unbelievers won't do much good unless God has prepped their hearts.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:09 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
The scripture is Ezekiel. I would not use the word admonish to teach. It depends on the person. If it is a relative or friend that takes advantage of you and you find out let them know that what they did was wrong and part ways. But this takes knowledge of sin. This is the meat of the word. A Watchman for Israel
18"When I say to the wicked, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to warn the wicked from his wicked way that he may live, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. 19"Yet if you have warned the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered yourself. 20"Again, when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and I place an obstacle before him, he will die; since you have not warned him, he shall die in his sin, and his righteous deeds which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood I will require at your hand.…

Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
No, trust me, I have no desire of even speaking with these people. I just have run into this Bible verse a couple of times recently and was wondering if God was trying to tell me something.
I don't think it would do any good to tell them what they've done is wrong. It's actually horrendous, and I don't think they're going anywhere good after their lives are over on this planet. That's the sad part.

Can you expand on the part that I bolded?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Yes he is warning you to quit condemning others that they are sinners and to tell them he sent his son in peace with a message of Reconcilation that God is not holding their sin against them. Now can you do likewise.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-06-2015 at 04:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We should just be sharing our testimony and the gospel and giving the glory to God.

Pointing out someone's sin to unbelievers won't do much good unless God has prepped their hearts.
Correct. We can, however, help fellow believers overcome their sins.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. We can, however, help fellow believers overcome their sins.
By taking the plank out of our own eyes so we can take the minute speck of dust out of the eye of fellow believers

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Okay, I've come across this admonition a couple of time recently (sorry, can't remember the verse), but the gist is that God tells someone in the Old Testament that He will hold them responsible for not admonishing a sinner. If the sinner continues to sin, it will be on the sinner to suffer, etc...but if the person receiving the message to God fails to warn the sinner, he too will be held accountable.

In reality, the sinners (I have some in mind) would laugh off any such warning. Maybe there's a better way of getting the message across.

Anyone with experience in this predicament?
I laughed recently at a you tube on the Islam forum about self -appointed sin -censors of just the kind you are postulating.

They call them the 'Haram police'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity