Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,751,539 times

Advertisements

For some reason I thought I read about this years ago, but maybe it was something else because this seems to be a new discovery.

Is this the site of Jesus' trial? - CNN.com

Just inside the western walls of the Old City of Jerusalem, beneath the tall Ottoman-era fortification known misleadingly as the Tower of David, archaeologists this week proclaimed the discovery of the site of Jesus' trial by Pontius Pilate, at which he was condemned to die by crucifixion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,535,327 times
I have to say that I originally favoured Herod's palace as the site of the Praetorium, but I rather switched to the Antonia fortress because it was festival time and Pilate would need to be in Jerusalem (usually he was at Caesarea) only to keep order in the temple. Herod's palace was not needed as a comfortable residence for the Governor, The fortress would be needed as a place where Pilate and his troops would be on the scene at all times.

That said, it is possible that Pilate might have been a bit lax about his duties and Herod's palace would be a very comfy place to stay, and it might explain how Jesus was shuffled over for Antipas to have a look as (as per Luke) without anyone but Luke knowing about it. Except that Antipas was also there for the festival and presumably would be using the family residence himself.

So I think I must favour the Antonia fortress, on balance.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,751,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

So I think I must favour the Antonia fortress, on balance.
I agree with you.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,594,969 times
Re: 'comfy place to stay'...

Sometimes I wonder how Pilate would let Jesus , the order breaker par excellence, into his 'comfy' place. Just have questions on that one. I don't know. Usually when you're a threat to Rome you go quick especially if you're causing trouble in Judea a hotbed of insurrection against the Roman state.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,535,327 times
Good question. I know the rough shape and position of the herodian palace, and the towers at the north end (one still standing I recall) and I don't have an excavation report, but I would expect a courtyard, a handy portico and a coffee room upstairs where Pilate could lead Jesus and get no response but a dignified silence (1) There is no reason why the old Hasmonean palace half way along the First(Hasmonean) wall (2) shouldn't have been commandeered by the Governors. Except that point that Caesarea was the administrative centre and Pilate was only in Jerusalem in the event of disturbance or the threat of disturbance - at festival time (3) and so the Antonia fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'comfy place to stay'...

Sometimes I wonder how Pilate would let Jesus , the order breaker par excellence, into his 'comfy' place. Just have questions on that one. I don't know. Usually when you're a threat to Rome you go quick especially if you're causing trouble in Judea a hotbed of insurrection against the Roman state.
And I didn't answer the question. well, Jesus is on his own. Pilate is in his praetoroum with a cohort of soldiers (4) no to mention servants, so he hardly has anything to worry about.

That's even aside from the picture of Jesus as a mild suffering martyr who would never raise a hand against anyone...as Pilate (who is half way to being converted anyway) plainly sees.

(1) other than "If you say so." (The synoptics) and a proper little sermon in John.
(2) with a walkway from Herod's palace to the temple.. can I attach me own map (all my own work ..Ha! but wouldn't that answer a few questions?
(3)you see the implication? Whether passover or Sukkhot, Pilate must have been on hand with 500 -1000 auxiliaries in the Antonia tower as soon as Jesus started kicking over tables.

(4) as the gospels agree - except Peter, who ascribes the flogging to the Jews, as indeed does Luke - to one Jew, Antipas, which I suppose is the only reason for the Antipas episode anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the site of Jesus' trial?-jerus.jpg  

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-09-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity