Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:11 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
They wouldn't have any problem with a priest shortage if they allowed priests to be married, as is clearly they should, as the Bible says.
Sure, Saint Paul was a big proponent of marriage.:dubi ous:: dubious:
Have you read your bible?:dubious :

Whether priests are married or not is moot with regards to the Bible. Single people can be as Christian as married folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree that feminization played a part, but I think there are bigger factors:
  1. The role of priests has changed. Once, priests had responsibility over thousands of parishioners, said several masses each weekend, not to mention numerous funerals, baptisms, and weddings, had a elementary school and perhaps a high school, possibly a nursing home, hospital, cemetery, etc. Now, a priest may have a parish of a few hundred and say a couple masses a weekend, a few funerals a month, a few weddings a year, the school closed log ago, etc. In other words, it is much less of a job.
  2. With more time on their hands, priests live more leisurely, materialistic lives that don't appeal to someone who wants to devote their life to priestly/pastoral matters.
  3. There are many more secular opportunities for people who want to do the jobs that priests formerly administered. For example: public school teacher/principal, hospital administrator, family counselor, etc.
  4. Priests are often moved from parish to parish and never really get to know their parishioners. They never serve at the parish they grew up in. It would be more attractive to many if they could serve in their home parish and/or serve in a parish for life (if they so chose). This would provide the life-long relationships that you would expect a priest to be attractive to.
  5. The way priesthood is set up makes it impractical for priests to be married. Since priests don't earn a lot, raising a family is impractical. Before marriage would be allowed, priest would be allowed/encouraged to have a job outside of the priesthood. As it is now, a priest with a large family could pose a severe financial burden on a small parish.
  6. The current set-up makes the ordination of women difficult. Imagine a co-ed seminary or rectory where the seminarians or priests are expected to live a celibate life. Not likely (wink, wink). Marriage would have to be allowed before female ordination, I would think.
Points 1 and 2: I disagree. With the current shortage of priests, they are busier than ever. I don't think "leisurely and materialistic" would describe the lifestyle of most priests I know.

Points 3, 4 and 5: I agree

Point 6: Ordination of women is not just difficult, it is impossible, because it is a matter of doctrine. The Church has painted itself into a corner on that one.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:11 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree that feminization played a part, but I think there are bigger factors:
  1. The role of priests has changed. Once, priests had responsibility over thousands of parishioners, said several masses each weekend, not to mention numerous funerals, baptisms, and weddings, had a elementary school and perhaps a high school, possibly a nursing home, hospital, cemetery, etc. Now, a priest may have a parish of a few hundred and say a couple masses a weekend, a few funerals a month, a few weddings a year, the school closed log ago, etc. In other words, it is much less of a job.
  2. With more time on their hands, priests live more leisurely, materialistic lives that don't appeal to someone who wants to devote their life to priestly/pastoral matters.
  3. There are many more secular opportunities for people who want to do the jobs that priests formerly administered. For example: public school teacher/principal, hospital administrator, family counselor, etc.
  4. Priests are often moved from parish to parish and never really get to know their parishioners. They never serve at the parish they grew up in. It would be more attractive to many if they could serve in their home parish and/or serve in a parish for life (if they so chose). This would provide the life-long relationships that you would expect a priest to be attractive to.
  5. The way priesthood is set up makes it impractical for priests to be married. Since priests don't earn a lot, raising a family is impractical. Before marriage would be allowed, priest would be allowed/encouraged to have a job outside of the priesthood. As it is now, a priest with a large family could pose a severe financial burden on a small parish.
  6. The current set-up makes the ordination of women difficult. Imagine a co-ed seminary or rectory where the seminarians or priests are expected to live a celibate life. Not likely (wink, wink). Marriage would have to be allowed before female ordination, I would think.
You are WAY off on points 1 and 2. You couldn't be further from the truth. Priests are busier than ever. I live in a small southern town. Catholics are an extreme minority. However, we have 2 Catholic Churches, a Catholic cemetery, and pre-K through 12 Catholic education at 2 different schools. Plus we have a military base nearby that also has Catholic services. We now have only 2 priests that say a daily mass at EACH location, plus they say Mass 6 times on Sunday at 3 churches. Not to mention funerals' weddings, baptisms, hospital visits, nursing home visits as well as active on a multi denominational charity board that help feed and shelter the less fortunate.

Edit......
I completely forgot about the Spanish mission. We have a huge population of migrant workers that have become more permanent than migrant. The priest holds a Spanish mass every Sunday and has an outreach service that helps them with just about any assistance they need.

Wow! And all of this for room, board, a car and a little pocket money.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

225 posts, read 162,040 times
Quote:
=Leo58;37933887]Saw this story in the paper this morning, and felt this would be a hot topic for this forum:
Cardinal Raymond Burke: 'Feminized' church and altar girls caused priest shortage - Religion News Service

I must say my first reaction to this story was, "this guy is a complete moron"!

However, in fairness, I encourage you to read the actual interview, New Evangelization for Catholic men | The New Emangelization

which gives a different flavor. I think the news story takes many of his comments out of context.

Nevertheless I disagree with many of Burke's sentiments. I feel that the increased participation of the laity, not just women, in parish life has greatly enriched the Church. I love seeing altar girls take their rightful place next to altar boys during Mass, and I highly doubt whether that has anything to do with the current shortage of priests.

Comments?
Thanks,

Once again, Cardinal Burke does not lay the ENTIRE priest shortage on this one issue; BUT does make note if its significant negative effect on the priesthood.

God Bless you,

Patrick Miron

Old 01-09-2015, 04:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Feminization of religion has hurt since it has been happening from the 60s on. We need strong men now more than ever to lead the church and their families.

I like Cardinal Burke.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:32 PM

Who Wants Good Men? Satan Does—And the World Doesn't - Aleteia

“Where have all the good men gone?” Author A.J. Kiesling gave that title to her book published in 2008. For all of the talk, especially in feminist circles, of “male privilege”, a sober and honest look at publicly available evidence suggests that our culture has been crushing men (and boys) simply because they are male. Compelling evidence to support that claim is found in both secular and Christian sources.''

Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It may sound easy, but tradition is hard to break. It would be like asking the New York Yankees to give up the pinstripe uniforms.
But WE did it, back in 1977. Why can't you?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM

Did what? Only men being priests? The Church believes Jesus directed it to be that way so humans can't change it.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
My understanding is that priestly celibacy is not a doctrine of the Church. There have been married priests in the past, and at any time the Vatican could decide to allow priests to marry. However, women priests is different; I don't think even the Pope has the authority to change that.
The main issue with vows of celibacy came into play because of “ownership “ and heirs. In the hierarchy of the Church, there are priests, bishops, cardinals and the Pope. All church property is under the management and ownership of the proper leader. For example, I live in the diocese of Charleston. The bishop actually owns everything under his authority. All property, investments, everything is his. Obviously there is oversight and transparency. But anything done with money or property in the diocese needs his involvement and approval. So in the early Church, when a priest married, then move up in the hierarchy and acquired Church property, there were often children and spouses that would claim that property as the rightful heir upon the death of the bishop. So priests became targets for gold diggers. At the time, the best solution was to enact rules that clergy need to see their flock as their children and family and don’t need the additional drama and problems that a family presents. If a man wanted to be a priest, he needed to devote his entire self to the work of Christ.

That solved the property problem.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Saw this story in the paper this morning, and felt this would be a hot topic for this forum:
Cardinal Raymond Burke: 'Feminized' church and altar girls caused priest shortage - Religion News Service

I must say my first reaction to this story was, "this guy is a complete moron"!

However, in fairness, I encourage you to read the actual interview, New Evangelization for Catholic men | The New Emangelization

which gives a different flavor. I think the news story takes many of his comments out of context.

Nevertheless I disagree with many of Burke's sentiments. I feel that the increased participation of the laity, not just women, in parish life has greatly enriched the Church. I love seeing altar girls take their rightful place next to altar boys during Mass, and I highly doubt whether that has anything to do with the current shortage of priests.

Comments?
The Roman Catholic church has always asserted that the Pope/Bishop of Rome is infallible.

I submit that this is not true.

The Pope would discover this truth in a short time if he'd get married.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity