Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Heartsong didn't say anything about how atheists raise their children.
What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
What's your point?

You asked Heartsong why she's posting on your thread. When Mystic reminded you that everyone is entitled to post here so, obviously, Heartsong has every right to be on this thread, you brought up your issue with how atheists raise their children having nothing to do with this topic. But Heartsong didn't say anything about how atheists raise there children. So why bring that up as a defense for insisting that Heartsong shouldn't be on your thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I appreciate your breakdown of the film. I don't even mind having a spoiler sometimes, particularly in the case where the interpretation of the film is so wide open to interpretation depending on the critic's world view. I would never trust a fundamentalist to interpret anything for me - not the bible, nor a movie or any other medium. Case closed for me. There is plenty of real world evil going on without finding it where it is not. Flip on the news (not FOX) and you will see that the whole world is up to its eyeballs in hatred and murder and death. Yet we have fundamentalist Christians talking about the hidden danger in the LEGO film ? Good grief.

Quote:
So why are you even on this thread? You knew you weren't going to agree with me, you haven't seen the movie, so it seems to me, that your only purpose is to attack others who don't share you views. You are as closed-minded as anyone you claim is. Your whole idea of what's right is rejecting anything someone else says just because they have different views than you. Do you know what that makes you? It makes you bigoted and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Everyone is entitled to post here and everyone is entitled to their opinions. There is no requirement to agree with you. Trying to restrict who posts here is blatant prejudice and bigotry.

Quote:
I am not trying to restrict who post on here, I am trying to restrict what is posted on here, since this is a topic that I started. Unless you can explain to me how atheists raise their children have to do with this topic, I am afraid you don't have a point here.

Quote:
Heartsong didn't say anything about how atheists raise their children.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
I want to be clear that I don't meet your criteria, I am a non-believer, have no kids, and have not seen the movie you are discussing.

However, I did want to respond to the title, specifically. I do not believe Christians' children are under increasing "attack". This same rallying cry was used back in the mid '80's when I was a believing child in a Christian home. Back then it wasn't Lego movies which were the purveyors of evil, it was He-Man, Care Bears, My Little Pony, and the Smurfs. The same complaints, that the glorifies rebellion, that they portrayed witchcraft,and that they were anti-God and anti-Christian specifically were made. There was quite a cottage industry in sensationalizing and vilifying pop culture, some well meaning, some downright fraudulent like much of the D&D furor and the faux-Satanism ( looking at you, Mike Warnke!)

I think part of the issue is that many people (not just Christians) don't really get that much of what is communicated, be it through books, tv, games, movies, art, or whatever, depends on the recipient. As a child my faith was not damaged by He-Man, video games, or even D&D. Why? Because I was not able to read into it all the evil that adults could. I was a kid, I didn't have the ability to take simplistic morality tales and draw convoluted conclusions from them. For me they were all just good, clean fun no matter what the authors of "Turmoil in the Toybox" wrote.

I would submit that probably you are being hypersensitive to the movie, as there are very few works like the "His Dark Material'" trilogy that are intentionally examining and undermining the Christian mythos. If you are finding that in most of pop culture, it is probably coming from within you, not the mind or intention of the creators.

-NoCapo

Old 01-16-2015, 02:12 PM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I want to be clear that I don't meet your criteria, I am a non-believer, have no kids, and have not seen the movie you are discussing.

However, I did want to respond to the title, specifically. I do not believe Christians' children are under increasing "attack". This same rallying cry was used back in the mid '80's when I was a believing child in a Christian home. Back then it wasn't Lego movies which were the purveyors of evil, it was He-Man, Care Bears, My Little Pony, and the Smurfs. The same complaints, that the glorifies rebellion, that they portrayed witchcraft,and that they were anti-God and anti-Christian specifically were made. There was quite a cottage industry in sensationalizing and vilifying pop culture, some well meaning, some downright fraudulent like much of the D&D furor and the faux-Satanism ( looking at you, Mike Warnke!)

I think part of the issue is that many people (not just Christians) don't really get that much of what is communicated, be it through books, tv, games, movies, art, or whatever, depends on the recipient. As a child my faith was not damaged by He-Man, video games, or even D&D. Why? Because I was not able to read into it all the evil that adults could. I was a kid, I didn't have the ability to take simplistic morality tales and draw convoluted conclusions from them. For me they were all just good, clean fun no matter what the authors of "Turmoil in the Toybox" wrote.

I would submit that probably you are being hypersensitive to the movie, as there are very few works like the "His Dark Material'" trilogy that are intentionally examining and undermining the Christian mythos. If you are finding that in most of pop culture, it is probably coming from within you, not the mind or intention of the creators.

-NoCapo

What gets me is these Christians keeping Wiccan and Pagan Holy days, traditions and rituals and they look funny at a Wiccan or a self professed Pagan, How can a person keep Wiccan and Pagan worship systems and then say anything about witchcraft of other Gods?

Then we see Christians fighting over whether or not the ten commandments can be displayed in public places like courts and such, and all the while they stand against the Ten commandments especially in the keeping of the Sabbath.

Before a Christian can say there is an attack on Christmas, it should be noted that Christmas is Babylonian, and to attack Christmas or Easter is to attack the worship system of the resurrected Messiah of Babylon by attacking the worship system that shows Nimrod to be resurrected and now called,'' Tammuz.''

Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post

-NoCapo
But your post was relevant. Even though I don't agree with you, you discussed the actual topic, so I respect your opinion and I wish others would have a well-thought out post like yours.

To address your point, I hear what you are saying but you can take your point and say that everything that is being made isn't innocent. There is a middle ground from what you are describing and what you perceive of Christians. I don't honestly think every single cartoon is made to attack Christians, but if you are a believer of the prophecy written in the Bible, then these things are actually described so it's not just an assumption, it's the word of God describing the times we are in. I don't believe I am hypersensitive. I spent the time to watch the entire movie and tried to be open minded about it. Honestly, the first scene was enough for me to kind of see what road it was going in, but I wanted to make sure I didn't assume anything.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You asked Heartsong why she's posting on your thread. When Mystic reminded you that everyone is entitled to post here so, obviously, Heartsong has every right to be on this thread, you brought up your issue with how atheists raise their children having nothing to do with this topic. But Heartsong didn't say anything about how atheists raise there children. So why bring that up as a defense for insisting that Heartsong shouldn't be on your thread?
But now you are purposefully being misleading because you are a combining two different conversations and trying to build an argument that was never being made. I questioned Heartsong posting on here, because he/she stated that they believed because of my beliefs that my view of the movie was going to be jaded. I didn't stated that Heartsong couldn't post on here, I just questioned the purpose of his/her post given that he/she already had your mind made up on the opinion of the movie based on who I am, but he/she admitted that they never saw the movie? So what is the purpose to post? To give your opinion about the movie or to attack the poster? Hmmm...

Secondly, my comment about atheists children was a reference to other posts who state how they raise their own children and how they feel that my views on the movie are ridiculous. I am not stopping people from posting on here, I am just asking, given that this is a topic that I started, that we please stick to the topic and not the typical nonsense that goes on in this section. Is that too much to ask? If you can't stay on topic, then what does that say about your intentions?....moving on.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM
ITD

31 posts, read 46,071 times
Quote:
It depends on the situation. In the movie, one would argue that the child's behavior is a cry out for attention he was not getting but with that said, I think there are clear cultural differences that we will never agree on. I simply do not think if your parents request you not to do something that you should disrespect that. It is important to express yourself but it should be in a respectful manner. There are people on here using the father's behavior to justify his son's behavior and that is an example of people who are just looking to argue on here. Don't have time for it.
There is nothing wrong with you deciding a movie isn't right for your family. I don't agree with it, but I've made those decisions for my kids that you would probably not agree with.

However, you frame this as an "attack" on Christian kids. A movie being made that doesn't jive with your religious beliefs is no more an attack on Christian children than a movie about Christ is an attack on Judaism. Your "call for battle" rhetoric is highly problematic in a country in which we all deserve to live in peace, regardless of faith or no faith.

You don't like movie? Fine. But it's awfully presumptive to consider it an attack on your kids. Honestly, it's more damaging to society than any message the Lego movie is putting out there.

And finally, what makes Christianity above criticism? If someone wanted to make a movie criticizing or undermining Christian mores, why should that be not allowed? Isn't your religion strong enough to stand up to criticism?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
There is nothing wrong with you deciding a movie isn't right for your family. I don't agree with it, but I've made those decisions for my kids that you would probably not agree with.

However, you frame this as an "attack" on Christian kids. A movie being made that doesn't jive with your religious beliefs is no more an attack on Christian children than a movie about Christ is an attack on Judaism. Your "call for battle" rhetoric is highly problematic in a country in which we all deserve to live in peace, regardless of faith or no faith.

You don't like movie? Fine. But it's awfully presumptive to consider it an attack on your kids. Honestly, it's more damaging to society than any message the Lego movie is putting out there.
There are specific things that I have already pointed out that are unique to Christianity that the movie addresses. If you believe that Christians are not under attack for their beliefs, then I would have to highly, but respectfully disagree. People aren't in agreement with Christianity and I don't expect them to. It's one of the few religions that reduces every single person on this earth to a regular messed up person. Some people despise the idea of believing that there is something wrong with them, so I understand that people may not like it.

The reason I consider it an attack on my kids is because it's a movie designed for kids. It has a message that if you were raised in a Christian home, it can be very confusing. This is a common theme in a lot of shows too. This idea of self-reliance and not accepting order and structure. Some of these things goes against Biblical teaching so as a young impressionable mind, it's easy to become confused and question what you have been taught, which is okay, but it should be done in a much more healthier manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
And finally, what makes Christianity above criticism? If someone wanted to make a movie criticizing or undermining Christian mores, why should that be not allowed? Isn't your religion strong enough to stand up to criticism?
Are you okay with Christianity being put in everything you watch? I am sure, given that you may not be a Christian would probably grow tired of that. Well not agreeing with Christianity is a system of beliefs too, it's a religion whether it fits under an actual recognized religion or it is just a factor of someone's philosophical beliefs. Given that I doubt you will ever find anyone that wants to see more of something that they don't agree with. Does that mean people can't criticize? I'm not saying that. I am saying however I believe as a parent that I have to protect the principles that I teach my children.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
But now you are purposefully being misleading because you are a combining two different conversations and trying to build an argument that was never being made. I questioned Heartsong posting on here, because he/she stated that they believed because of my beliefs that my view of the movie was going to be jaded. I didn't stated that Heartsong couldn't post on here, I just questioned the purpose of his/her post given that he/she already had your mind made up on the opinion of the movie based on who I am, but he/she admitted that they never saw the movie? So what is the purpose to post? To give your opinion about the movie or to attack the poster? Hmmm...

Secondly, my comment about atheists children was a reference to other posts who state how they raise their own children and how they feel that my views on the movie are ridiculous. I am not stopping people from posting on here, I am just asking, given that this is a topic that I started, that we please stick to the topic and not the typical nonsense that goes on in this section. Is that too much to ask? If you can't stay on topic, then what does that say about your intentions?....moving on.
I followed the thread of the conversation exactly as it is and even posted it for you so you could follow along in case you had actually forgotten, which I thought was a possibility. I did nothing "purposely misleading". That's not how I roll.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I followed the thread of the conversation exactly as it is and even posted it for you so you could follow along in case you had actually forgotten, which I thought was a possibility. I did nothing "purposely misleading". That's not how I roll.
Again, the comment that I made was not about Heartsong. And I never said he/she could not post in this thread even though you suggested that I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity