Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,472,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I admit a creator.

I am very much like Thomas Aquinas who believed in the initial spark. (see Aquinas Five Proofs)

In other rwords, as of today physicists do not know what caused the Big Bang. So I have no issues with a Christian that says perhaps God was behind the Big bang.

However, this may change pending further discoveries.
Exactly. That's the futility of the whole issue. Neither side has any real proof of anything, yet the argument goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Paul probably also believed, like most in his day, that the world is flat. Nothing against Paul, he did the best with the knowledge at hand, but saying he believed Adam and Eve to be real people doesn't make it so.
You mean you don't know what Paul believed about Adam and Eve yet you think you know what he believed concerning a flat earth? Simply amazing. Could you tell me whether he was a Republican or a Democrat?

Old 01-15-2015, 05:41 PM

37,265 posts, read 61,014,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Lots of Christians accept science, including evolution. Same with many other religions being accepting that science is not a threat nor an attack on their religions.
I am not aware of any 'threat' from science.

The Great Architect of the Universe, designed everything we see. Whether that required 100 Billion years, or a Billion Billion years, does not change anything.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,286,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not aware of any 'threat' from science.

The Great Architect of the Universe, designed everything we see. Whether that required 100 Billion years, or a Billion Billion years, does not change anything.
It seems like some fundamentalist people feel threatened.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 PM

37,265 posts, read 61,014,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It seems like some fundamentalist people feel threatened.
Romans 14:5-8 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

14:12-13 ... every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

If I were to wear an evening gown to church, some would 'feel' threatened. [I am an old man with grey hair and a beard to my belly]

Some people need to wear a thicker skin; others need to stop being so judgmental; let all things be done through love.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,483,918 times
yes. literalist can't, but regular folk can.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Exactly. That's the futility of the whole issue. Neither side has any real proof of anything, yet the argument goes on and on.
Creation Ex nihilo is perfectly compatible with evolution and cosmology. I don't have issues with Christians that can see this. In fact many mainstream churches have no issue with this.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Creation Ex nihilo is perfectly compatible with evolution and cosmology. I don't have issues with Christians that can see this. In fact many mainstream churches have no issue with this.
In that case, what's the problem?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
In that case, what's the problem?
No problem, but it is sad to see the fundies act the way they do. Maybe Atheists feel a need to rescue them.

BTW, I often see fundies that want to rescue Catholics.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,286,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Romans 14:5-8 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

14:12-13 ... every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

If I were to wear an evening gown to church, some would 'feel' threatened. [I am an old man with grey hair and a beard to my belly]

Some people need to wear a thicker skin; others need to stop being so judgmental; let all things be done through love.
Eccentric or crazy, depending on your financial well being☺
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity