Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM

255 posts, read 607,102 times

Advertisements

The use of BCE and CE doesn't bother me at all.

For one thing, we still start counting from the supposed birth year of Jesus, which seems to diminish the effectiveness of the argument that people are taking God out of our lives.

For another thing, I don't see how being more sensitive to other people is a bad thing. Maybe the producer of the show is Jewish or Muslim or atheist. If he or she prefers to use the terms BCE and CE, why should we be upset? Why should we boycott or protest? I could maybe see protesting if a Christian wanted to use the terms BC and AD and was made to changes, but even then, I think Jesus would prefer we use our energies fighting a real problem in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,853,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I already KNOW about the origination of the term. What is your problem in understanding my POV?
I think you're perfectly entitled to your POV.

And just so you don't feel out there by yourself, I was very taken aback when I went to tour the Dead Sea Scrolls and saw these terms being used everywhere. I think it's sad too, although I haven't lost sleep over it.

some will say I'm too sensitive, looking for issues, being ridiculous and that's OK. Everyone is entitled to their POV. While I don't feel necessarily persecuted by this, I do think it's yet another attempt to make something non-religious quite religious. In other words, if it's always been BC/AD and it's worked for years and years and if no one is having BC/AD-mas (as in Christmas) then you've taken something that religious folks have never made a religious issue out of and suddenly it is a religious issue because we're trying to make it non-religious....

That's a bit hard to type (and harder to read) but I hope the point came through.....

Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM

436 posts, read 804,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Unlike "Before Christ", BCE does not define a Christ or even acknowledge one. Rather, it acknowledges the appearance of Christians. And, yes, that does make me feel better.

It's literally funny to me that Christians feel "attacked" by this.
I don't necessarily feel "attacked" by this, although the Christian faith is under attack these days.

What is "common era"? Is it not the era of CH\hrist?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:44 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,611,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
What is "common era"? Is it not the era of CH\hrist?
Theres at least 2 posts explaining the origin of the term.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,024,385 times
Whatever anyone decides to call it, you don't have to follow. I'll continue to use AD and BC. You can, too. Or not.

I think it's all a big yawn to God.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
It amazes me how many people try to hide from or deny the existence of Christ and His impact on our society. Changing the title of the era, does nto change the fact that we count time from the approximate date of his birth (many people are not aware that they missed the date when they started counting time, look at the foot notes in your Bible. This is not really 2007 years from his birth and 2000 was not really 2000 that is why I found all fo the mellinium hype to be funny).

Who cares what it is called? We are still measuing time in our era from the approximate date of Christ's birth. they can call it "common era" but that cannot create an event that started that era other than the birth of Christ.

Perhaps someday they will try to do away with Christ altogether and change the date entirely. scientists will suddenly proclaim that the year is 4,345,345,167and we should call it that. Of course three years later, they will discover that they are wrong.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,367,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Perhaps someday they will try to do away with Christ altogether and change the date entirely. scientists will suddenly proclaim that the year is 4,345,345,167and we should call it that. Of course three years later, they will discover that they are wrong.
Calendar dates are political - not scientific.
In modern history, military dictators decide when to start over with a "Year One" to signal a new era under their regime.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Calendar dates are political - not scientific.
In modern history, military dictators decide when to start over with a "Year One" to signal a new era under their regime.
I heard somewhere that N. Korea is on it's own calendar based on something to do with Kim Jung Il.

Anyone know if that's true?

Good post, b. frank, and you are correct. Which was what I was trying to say earlier in that changing the 'call letters' really brings something to the top that wasn't there to start with.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,661,585 times
I agree with the political- not scientific statement.
It's like someone else stated it just a way of trying to hide from the truth.
Whatever, in changing words, times, God is God!! They can not change Him and they surely can not change what is in ones heart.
That is to me the most important thing to recognize!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I agree with the political- not scientific statement.
It's like someone else stated it just a way of trying to hide from the truth.
Whatever, in changing words, times, God is God!! They can not change Him and they surely can not change what is in ones heart.
That is to me the most important thing to recognize!!!
So many posts, so few reps to give....

WELL SAID!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity