Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 PM

9,945 posts, read 4,886,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
I do think your point here is also important: That philanthropy of itself is insufficient. A bologna sandwich in the park for the homeless feeds them for the moment. But without the Bread of Life, it does not help them for eternity.
Yes, when Jesus fed the crowds with bread and fish that was a temporary feeding for that day.
Jesus did Not focus his ministry on feeding people, but focused his teachings by preaching and teaching - Luke 4:43
That spiritual work - Matthew 24:14 - is also the same spiritual work Jesus gives to his modern-day followers to do.
We are to spread the ' good news of God's kingdom ' on an international scale before the end comes of all badness on earth when Jesus, as the Bread of Life, will take control of Earth under his millennium-long day of ruling over earth, or over earthly subjects of God's kingdom - Psalm 72:8; 37:11,29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,654,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
There are the works of man and the works of God. Seems to me you do not know the works of God.

The son of man says: "The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works,"

"Whoever has heard from the Father and learned from Him comes to me."

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws Him."

Follow the son so the Father will draw you.
One may not be a follower of Christ and do good works. But no one can claim to be a follower of Christ and NOT do good works.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
First of all, anyone can be a neighborly good Samaritan in doing fine works of heart.
Non-Christians do Not spread the international good news of God's kingdom [ a spiritual work ] as Jesus instructed to do at Matthew 24:13,14; Acts 1:8.

Please also notice the word ' MY' in front of brethren [ brothers ] at Matthew 25:40
Jesus' spiritual brothers, or spiritual brethren, would be his spiritual Christian brothers, Not people in general.
But Jesus calls on you to do justice. And doing justice is to treat everyone as if they are your brother or sister. Go back and read John 15, so you can understand why good works is the way to spread Good News. Look up google and see why so many denominations sent doctors to foreign land to treat the physically sick in order to have an opportunity to speak to them spiritually. By the way, that is going by the wayside now. It is more about sending talkers than sending workers.

Jesus said, "If you don't believe my words, believe me for the works' sake."

Unfortunately there are too many Christians who want to "talk" the kingdom of God into other people, rather than lift their hand to help them on this earth.

Those will be the ones asking of God at judgment what NT Fellowship pointed out--"I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matt 25:34-40)

And Jesus said, "For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind." He was talking about religious people who couldn't see the opportunities that lay before them to do miracles here on earth--by feeding and giving drink, by housing the homeless, by clothing the naked, and by visiting the sick and those in prison.

If you aren't able to grasp that, then Jesus is here to make sure you remain blind. Because you must FIND HIM before that is laid on your heart to do. When you find yourself every night praying that God will send someone your way to assist with food, money, clothing, by visiting the sick or those in prison. And you can't sleep unless you make that prayer. Then you know you've found God.

Just don't let the opportunity pass you by, because it is your opportunity to serve the King Himself.

St. Francis of Assisi said, "Your deeds may be the only sermon someone sees today." Think about it.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,764,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
One may not be a follower of Christ and do good works. But no one can claim to be a follower of Christ and NOT do good works.
"Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father "

"The Lord shall be your light forever, your God shall be your glory."

Old 01-31-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
"Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father "

It didn't say your light should shine so they would see your faith and glorify God did it?

Old 01-31-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
It didn't say your light should shine so they would see your faith and glorify God did it?
If the son of God is the truth and says He is the light of the world then the truth is the believers light. Which means the word of God is the light that must shine so it is the spreading of the word of God that is the good works.

Notice in the verse below it is the words which are the works.

"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works".

Old 01-31-2015, 05:51 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,713,126 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the son of God is the truth and says He is the light of the world then the truth is the believers light. Which means the word of God is the light that must shine so it is the spreading of the word of God that is the good works.
"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works".
The idea that God's glorious purpose for humanity is for us to "preach the right words" . . . is preposterous on its face!! It is talking the talk. We are to produce as much agape love during our lifetimes as possible, period. That is walking the walk.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The idea that God's glorious purpose for humanity is for us to "preach the right words" . . . is preposterous on its face!! It is talking the talk. We are to produce as much agape love during our lifetimes as possible, period. That is walking the walk.

Jesus was sent to spread Gods word and sent His followers as He was sent
He said to continue in His word . Some try to twist it into there own gospel.

"Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love. "

"I have given them the words you gave me and they have accepted them"

"As you sent me into the world so I have sent them.

"As the Father sent me so I send you"

Whoever rejects me and does not accept my word he already has his judge, namely the words I have spoken, that's what will condemn him on the last day. "

Old 01-31-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:

You aren't able to see anything that Jesus actually DID, are you?

Another fundie with pie-in-the-sky. "Fruit" in the New Testament is just more rhetoric for vines without produce.

Methinks you justify your inaction with regard to serving others with pithy words and quotes about the "word of God."

Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You aren't able to see anything that Jesus actually DID, are you?

Another fundie with pie-in-the-sky. "Fruit" in the New Testament is just more rhetoric for vines without produce.

Methinks you justify your inaction with regard to serving others with pithy words and quotes about the "word of God."
Yours is the inaction.

Judge righteously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity