Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
This just occurred to me: many years ago, I knew quite a few people who owned New Testaments, and I also saw them advertised in magazines. I wondered why they only had the New Testament, rather than regular Bibles with both Old and New, but I never asked. Would anyone here possibly know?
The NT is 27 books compared to a full 66. It's a lot more concise, and is easier to give out, easier to read. At least that's why I've seen them given out. I used to carry a pocket New Testament, with the Psalms and I think Proverbs included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am hardly ever thinking of salvation, there are much more greater things than salvation...
I stopped reading here, as salvation is the most important thing in anyone's life, as shown by the importance of Christ and His teachings.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" ~ Mark 8:36-37

Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,335 times
When I was in Catholic elementary school many years ago I was given a pocket copy of the Douay-Rheims New Testament. (How long ago? The ink was still wet! ). Catholicism is pretty much all about the New Testament. The scripture readings in Sunday Mass are always NT. In fact they are usually from Paul or Acts. The only exceptions I remember are John 1 on Good Friday and Luke 2 on Christmas, but it has been a long time so I may have forgotten some. Or they may have changed things since then.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
When I was in Catholic elementary school many years ago I was given a pocket copy of the Douay-Rheims New Testament. (How long ago? The ink was still wet! ). Catholicism is pretty much all about the New Testament. The scripture readings in Sunday Mass are always NT. In fact they are usually from Paul or Acts. The only exceptions I remember are John 1 on Good Friday and Luke 2 on Christmas, but it has been a long time so I may have forgotten some. Or they may have changed things since then.
I was under the impression that there was an OT, a NT, and a Gospel reading...no?

It's funny..but I always considered the RCC to be overly influenced by Judaism. They tend to be overly focused on the Law, while holding on to such notions as the priesthood, the sacrifice of the eucharist, the tabernacle, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Thank you, all, for your input and info! I appreciate it!!

Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I was under the impression that there was an OT, a NT, and a Gospel reading...no?

It's funny..but I always considered the RCC to be overly influenced by Judaism. They tend to be overly focused on the Law, while holding on to such notions as the priesthood, the sacrifice of the eucharist, the tabernacle, etc.
Apparently there are now three readings as you say. I do not recall that but I stopped attending Sunday Mass around the time a Catholic was in the White House. It was still in Latin then. You remember the first sure sign of getting old, right? I don't but I am sure you do.

Yes, Catholicism does resemble Judaism in a number of ways.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,172,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Thank you, all, for your input and info! I appreciate it!!
God has done and will continue to do, things that confound man.

Regardless the process, the time, or event~ Bank on it- God did it!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
The New Testament contains the Gospel of Christ, which is most important for eternal salvation. The Old Testament is important as it reveals the character and will of God and allows a follower of Christ to grow in their relationship with God.

They are both important in their own way but if you only had space for one, the New Testament is a good start.
The Old Testament does not reveal the character and will of God as there is a clear progression in perceptions of that nature from the absolute anthropomorphic projection demonstrated in the visit to Abraham by God on His way to Sodom and Gomorrah to find out if what He had heard was true right down to the revelation in Micah that what God is interested in is mercy and justice and humility in the conduct of our lives. The Old Testament gives the ethnic history and religious background for the time in which the Christ appeared, and it helps to understand the imagery used in the lessons taught by the Christ and His followers.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I used to carry a small book that was "just" the New Testament in my purse. Small = takes less space. If I was stuck someplace, I had something to read. If there was an agenda out there.... I totally missed it, lol.

How long ago is "many years"? It could have been a simple matter of printing costs, paper availability and how much people were willing to spend.
I have a new testament in my European man bag for travelling. Just like any good fundamentalist would do.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:29 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
God has done and will continue to do, things that confound man.

Regardless the process, the time, or event~ Bank on it- God did it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity