Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times

Advertisements

Born a Roman Catholic, raised a Roman Catholic and will die a Roman Catholic.(not in the immediate future I hope). Whenever God is ready for me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
I don't care for labels. Just thrilled to talk to believers. Its encouraging. I been away for awhile. I prefer independent smaller studies study though as opposed to bigger churches.

I was raised in a family Baptist church, Baptized twice, and married by a Baptist friend of the family in my grandma's backyard.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Why be baptized twice? Jesus taught, "One baptism for the forgivness of sins." (John the Baptist baptized Jesus and John was the "baptizer,"not the name of the Baptist Church).

One baptism is all that is needed. The others are just for "show" in other church initiations.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM

142 posts, read 501,381 times
Started out the Texas version of Moravian, then United Methodist, now Presbyterian (USA).

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Why be baptized twice? Jesus taught, "One baptism for the forgivness of sins." (John the Baptist baptized Jesus and John was the "baptizer,"not the name of the Baptist Church).

One baptism is all that is needed. The others are just for "show" in other church initiations.
They weren't done together. The first time were were very young and unable to really understand. The second time we were older and they asked if we wanted to be Baptized in the river. We were young teens and thought it would be fun and we believed in Jesus. It wasn't for show. It wasn't a display for the Baptist church. Being baptized is merely saying im making a commitment to Jesus. Maybe just a tradition passed down. Either way I don't see anything wrong with it. They weren't done in building either. They were done in rivers in Ohio. We played in the river before they asked us and we were eager to get Baptized. Good old times.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post

There is an account of some of the disciples being baptized again because the first time they were baptized with John's baptism, towards repentance. The second time they were baptized into Christ and recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Our son was baptized when he was 10 years old. When he was older he realized he had not understood what baptism was for. So he was baptized again, for the remission of his sins, as instructed in the scriptures.
Baptism is for believers, not for those who are incapable of believing.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Raised Mormon. Attended a Unitarian Universalist church for several years. Currently attending a United Church of Christ church.
Same. Raised Mormon, I loved how they didn't promote a suffering Jesus, they focused on a living Christ. But unfortunately they didn't focus on Jesus enough, too much about Joseph Smith and other Propehts. I tried to make it work but in the end my views were just too different. The deciet the modern day church has about the early days of the church was the real kicker though...shocking!!

Anyway I tried a Unitarian church but was not that impressed. Not enough spirituality and too much focus on humanitarian projects (which not doubt are important, but there needs to be more of a balance) So at this point I'm still shopping. Religion just doesn't suit me the only reason I'm still looking is for my children. I've heard good things about the Unity church, I think I'll try that one next.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM

I think God gets it right the first time a person is baptized, whether the one being baptized understands what is going on or not.

Last edited by arrow_keys; 06-25-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: capitalizing "God" !

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
I think God gets it right the first time a person is baptized, whether the one being baptized understands what is going on or not.

Then you are saying that the scriptural account of disciples being baptized again is incorrect ?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Then you are saying that the scriptural account of disciples being baptized again is incorrect ?
If their baptism was in the name of John, then I would say it wasn't valid in the first place. If someone is baptized in the name of the Trinity, regardless of age, mental capacity or whatever, then baptizing again is in my view an insult to the Trinity. The sacrament of baptism takes effect whether or not we remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity