Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
You and I will not convince each other that we are right. I go by my personal experience with God. I believe Him and His Word ALWAYS- even if I don't always understand it. He is a WHOLE lot more trustworthy than man!!
Agreed, that's why I trust the Spirit that was promised and not the book which was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You may well be overwhelmed by inspiration, but you can only write in the light that you have received, if Jesus Christ having and being the great Light had written the scriptures, i am sure they would read differently. In saying that i personally believe there is no greater book in the world than the bible. For the longest time i thought the scriptures were about Jesus, today i see that they are about me, where i came from, what happened to me,what i lost, how i rediscover myself and where i will return to, this all being made possible by the message of Jesus Christ.
The life of one man, each and everyone of us.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Agreed, that's why I trust the Spirit that was promised and not the book which was not.
Let me, second that, to trust the Spirit is not to trust in man.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The life of one man, each and everyone of us.
Exactly.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
It would begin with, It was a dark and blustery night.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
1. Jesus' disciples weren't all fishermen.

2. First-century Jews were actually very well educated. However, because the culture was so oriented toward oral transmission, it's probably true that they didn't write everything down.

3. HOWEVER, because they were so oriented toward oral transmission, they're famous for their ability to pass down stories with perfect accuracy. And although there is some debate about the timing of the gospels' writing, virtually no scholar believes they were written "centuries after" he left the scene. But "decades" is certainly fair.

So let's say you're 60 years old, and you were a disciple of Jesus 40 years prior. You've decided it's finally time to write down all the stories you've been telling your kids and grandkids. (I'll even allow for the possibility that you're illiterate - so you can dictate them to a scribe.) How would tell the stories so that people 2000 years later believe them?
I'd like you to actually back that one up because I have never seen any proof of that one.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:51 PM

162 posts, read 113,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I'd like you to actually back that one up because I have never seen any proof of that one.
Studies have indicated that literacy was restricted to 3% to 5% of the population and that number was of course concentrated in the major centres of population. In rural Galilee it probably did not reach that level. https://books.google.es/books?id=zlr...alilee&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity