Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,979 times

Advertisements

Jjanelle144, what the tread proves as much as anything I think is that many sincere Christian folks have no clear idea of the reasons why other Christians may reasonably and rightly venerate and honor (but NOT worship) Mary without committing idolatry or in anyway reducing the worship of God or acknowledging the sole Lordship of Christ her Son. IOW, loving Mary for her part in God's plan is no hindrance to glorifying He who made that plan (God the Father) and He who fulfilled that plan through the Sacrifice of the Cross (Jesus). her submission and obedience to God is a beautiful example for Christians who also seek to follow her Son (and thus a real problem for Satan).

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-06-2015 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
The devil/lucifer loves no one and will use anyone to deceive everyone.

Like he does here and everywhere else.
Happens all over Our Planet and people listen.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Sometimes, understandably, the grief of sin, the bare conscience of it exposed in the light of
such purity, knowing all she endured, all she bore, and all her perfection (the most perfect creature
that ever existed, and ever shall exist is she; for her Son was not a creature), makes one intimidated
to approach her in supplication. Yet, as the child who has done wrong still pines for the mother, that
is what we must do, because if we cannot approach her, then we cannot approach Her Son.
Two books I would recommend are The Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori and
Of Mary There is Never Enough by William L. Biersach.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Syncretistically, it brought confusion, not unity.
And, I don't see it as being free from error?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
obviously you may believe what you want to believe (and luckily I too can believe what I want or feel I must as well)--the ultimate proof of this (and most anything else) is what tangible "fruits" result from that belief--and I think that's God's call and not ours. OTOH, can you point to ONE specific thing directly repugnant to God or Sacred Scripture that the Nicene Creed specifically teaches on the nature of Christ and of God for that matter----just one important thing that is ALSO attested as false by the majority of Christians of all denominations through time as well? please lets not bother ourselves with if either of us have problems (or not) with exactly which day a particular "holy day" (Christmas or Easter) is or is not observed and how---with such things is much time wasted and little light shed---even here, LOL). BTW, the word of God has always brought "division" into the world-setting brother against brother (see Luke 12:51 I think) so likely any thing associated with it like all those seemingly crazy doctrines---the Trinity for example, also defined and taught at Nicea because of much confusion, turmoil, and even bloodshed (see the "arian" heresy) will be a "stumbling block" to someone, sad to say. may God bless us both and help us not only know the truth but truly live it (and not beat each other up too badly while trying to find it). don't know if at the end of the day anybody (including ourselves) will be convinced of much except that we are both "fools in Christ" and that hope of both being "in Christ" fool or otherwise(or at least giving it our best shot with God's grace) will be a very good thing in and of itself.
When controversy divides an empire, you cannot control the people.
A 17th century proverb: One man's meat is another man's poison.

In other words, the trinity concept, still separates the Church to this very day.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 PM

You are not the "Church" and lucifer is what "separates"you.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
You are not the "Church" and lucifer is what "separates"you.
A few have been called "Out."

Old 02-06-2015, 06:22 PM

~you see nothing.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
~you see nothing.
"I see," said the blind man.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:57 PM

~a reflection will also send you to hell (the blind usually follow the blind)

Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times
Discussing the mother of Jesus is a difficult subject for we evangelicals 40-45% former Catholics. First and foremost many non Catholics in their effort to downplay Mary's divinity, tiltles manifested over time by a faith wishing to honor her insult her role " a follower of Jesus, mother and wife.Yes since the church manufactured a icon a mediatrix ( mediator) they have un-
intentionally crossed the line between love and idolatry paganism and a perverted intercessor to prayer. " No one goes to the Father but by me" ...Jesus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity