Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'll answer with a statement often attributed to St. Francis of Assisi: Preach the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words.

I believe that God uses everyone as a vessel who is willing to become one. But I also believe we gain more converts to Christ through our actions than through our words. You can't force a person to believe as you do. You can't really even convince someone with logical arguments to believe what he doesn't want to believe.
I see your point, but if I have someone around me that says something that I disagree with, I'm going to share my views just as they have. To me it has nothing to do with trying to argue, but I certainly wouldn't be silent if I heard something that I thought was wrong and I wouldn't expect anyone to be any different with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I see your point, but if I have someone around me that says something that I disagree with, I'm going to share my views just as they have.
Well, so would I. I guess that's just not what I understood the OP to be talking about. It's one thing to share your viewpoint in a discussion (which I definitely would), but another to be convinced that your friends are on the path to Hell and you've got to step in and get them going the right direction. I guess I'm just not comfortable calling people to repentance when I still have some repentance of my own to do. The OP said he's not sure if his friends are "spiritual Christians" or "fake Christians." In my opinion, that's not for him to decide.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
I always felt that the less number of people there are in Heaven means the less number of friends I'll get to have, a lot of people I know who I've liked (many of them are Christians) were able to make this Earth like it was Heaven due to how fun and joyful these people were.

Also is it okay for a Christian to be a highly respected person on Earth if they wanna go to Heaven? I do notice that a lot of my Christian friends on Earth are highly respected and admired, oddly I also have an Atheist friend who is looked down upon by many yet he appears to be friendlier and more open towards everyone than a lot of my Christian friends.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If my friends who I've loved and cherished are on the path to Hell would God find a way to help me get reunited with these people by inspiring them to repent of their sins and for them to become Born Again so they could have Eternal Life in Heaven?

I really would hate to see a lot of the people who I've loved and cherished here on Earth end up in Hell because I desire to have super close friendships with these people in Heaven

I have a learning disability and it's hard for me to find new friends and to maintain close friendships with them because of how different I am to the others

Most of the people who I love on Earth are Christians but I'm not sure if they're spiritual Christians or fake Christians, I do notice they don't seem to suffer through lots of hatred or persecution here on Earth.
Dear Mopac,
The kingdom of heaven must be sought here on earth. When one dies, they are delegated to the grave. The kingdom of God is when Yeshua will take reign on the earth from Jerusalem. After the millennium, there will be the judgment, and for those that are not thrown in the lake of fire, there will be a new heaven and a new earth. There are no pearly gates, and there is no Peter to greet you at those mythological gates. And there is no Hell as portrayed by Dante. If you are thrown in the lake of fire, unless you are the devil or his compatriots, you do not have ever lasting life, and you will be no more.

The walking dead, already live their hell on earth. Death will give them some relief, and the lake of fire will give them permanent relief, after they face the day of judgment, and look at their list of failed opportunities.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
I always felt that the less number of people there are in Heaven means the less number of friends I'll get to have, a lot of people I know who I've liked (many of them are Christians) were able to make this Earth like it was Heaven due to how fun and joyful these people were.
Mopac... I'm no Christian by any means, so take this for what it's worth... but it seems to me that if your Christian view of heaven is even close to correct, you will be in a place where everyone understands you, loves you for what you are, and is so "fun and joyful" that they will make your existence... well... heavenly. You seem like a very warm, kind, caring person, and I hope that when you pass on to the next phase of your existence, all the earthly friends whom you love so much and have earned that love by being such good friends to you will be there with you, but - if for some reason they are not - I think it's very likely that everyone who is there will be the same type of warm, loving, supportive people you have befriended on earth. This may not be much comfort to you, but I hope it helps somewhat.

One other thing to consider... you believe in a kind, loving, just god, do you not? Well, then, if you are correct in your concept of god, isn't it reasonable to assume that with such a god in charge of heaven, the people who have been good friends to you - these good, loving, kindhearted people - would be exactly the kind of people for whom heaven was created? If your god does exist, and your belief system is correct, it seems reasonable to me to assume that your friends will be there with you. What kind of heaven would it be if people like that were not allowed in?

Good luck to you. I hope you find peace of mind where this issue is concerned, and don't allow it to worry you or upset you very much. If I were someone who prayed, you would be in my prayers. Take care.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,408 times
I know that many who claim to believe on Christ for their salvation believe they are saved and on the way to heaven.
But look at the words of Paul in Rom. 8:[6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Paul did not say that carnal Christians will all go to heaven.
Jesus said in Matt. 7:[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven

Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
It's mind-blowing. Sometimes, I find myself just completely speechless when pondering the crucifixion of Christ and realizing that the nails are driven in DAILY, by those who say they are His followers.

The character of our Creator is mutiliated, beaten, tortured and crucified every single day - "God loves you, but will send you to a place of neverending suffering." "God loves you, and wants you to love others. However, some of those that you love will end up in a place of neverending suffering." "Do you love your mom? That's wonderful. Oh, sorry she was not a christian, she is now suffering forever. You will never see her again. Oh well, too bad." "God loves you so he sent his son to be brutalized in your place. Because he is so mad at you and your sins that he had to unleash his wrath on SOMEONE! If you don't believe that is what he did, then his wrath will be unleashed on you for eternity." "God loves you! Jesus loves you!" WHAT???!!! WHAT IS LOVE?

Christ risen = This ignorance will one day be completely eradicated. The ignorance cannot be snuffed out soon enough.
Amen, sister Sparrow. It is a "double-minded" gospel that is preached all over the place. God loves you, MAYBE ... MAYBE NOT. Might as well count daisy petals, "He loves me, he loves me not... he loves me, he loves.....

Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
If my friends who I've loved and cherished are on the path to Hell would God find a way to help me get reunited with these people by inspiring them to repent of their sins and for them to become Born Again so they could have Eternal Life in Heaven?

I really would hate to see a lot of the people who I've loved and cherished here on Earth end up in Hell because I desire to have super close friendships with these people in Heaven

I have a learning disability and it's hard for me to find new friends and to maintain close friendships with them because of how different I am to the others

Most of the people who I love on Earth are Christians but I'm not sure if they're spiritual Christians or fake Christians, I do notice they don't seem to suffer through lots of hatred or persecution here on Earth.
How does any mere mortal KNOW what path is leading to hell and which to "heaven?"

I read a bumper sticker yesterday that read:

Since there is a highway to hell and just a stairway to heaven, doesn't that speak volumes as to the anticipated traffic flow?

Sometimes we spend way too much time worrying who is going where and how we can change that instead of appreciating them and enjoying their presence in the here and now.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
It's mind-blowing. Sometimes, I find myself just completely speechless when pondering the crucifixion of Christ and realizing that the nails are driven in DAILY, by those who say they are His followers.

The character of our Creator is mutiliated, beaten, tortured and crucified every single day - "God loves you, but will send you to a place of neverending suffering." "God loves you, and wants you to love others. However, some of those that you love will end up in a place of neverending suffering." "Do you love your mom? That's wonderful. Oh, sorry she was not a christian, she is now suffering forever. You will never see her again. Oh well, too bad." "God loves you so he sent his son to be brutalized in your place. Because he is so mad at you and your sins that he had to unleash his wrath on SOMEONE! If you don't believe that is what he did, then his wrath will be unleashed on you for eternity." "God loves you! Jesus loves you!" WHAT???!!! WHAT IS LOVE?

Christ risen = This ignorance will one day be completely eradicated. The ignorance cannot be snuffed out soon enough.
Reps all the way around.

Some are not satisfied unless they drive the nails on an hourly basis. Why is it o difficult to understand that Jesus is NO LONGER on the cross? He has left the cross and moved on, so why can't we?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I know that many who claim to believe on Christ for their salvation believe they are saved and on the way to heaven.
But look at the words of Paul in Rom. 8:[6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Paul did not say that carnal Christians will all go to heaven.
Jesus said in Matt. 7:[b][21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven[/B]
Not to be rude or anything, but when people quote this verse, do they actually HEAR THE WORDS themselves? Or do they just regurgitate them and refuse to hear what the words mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity