Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,191 times

Advertisements

He is a Person of the Triune God that can be grieved.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

He serves as a separate Divine Witness that is in agreement with the other Two Divine Witness which is a requirement for a testimony to be established as true & thus why the witness of God is greater and thus how and why the One God can judge as He is the Triune God.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

Old Testament verifies that as God commands, so does He do by example.

Deuteronomy 19:15One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Jesus verified it.

Matthew 18:16But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Paul did. That's three witnesses that His word stands the same across the Bible.

2 Corinthians 13:1This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

The Father will only send the Holy Ghost by way of the Son of God & at our salvation, and His testimony will be the same for those that have heard the Good News before they were saved.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

The Holy Spirit will not speak for Himself, but only speak what He hears and what He speaks will always put the spotlight on the Son of God to glorify the Son so that you mat know what is not the Holy Spirit when errant believers share in the spotlight of the Holy Spirit with the Son and the Father, allowing seducing spirits to steal the spotlight with visitations of signs and wonders.

John 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

The mind of Christ that the Holy Spirit wants us to have is to keep that spotlight on the Son to glorify the Son and by Him, glorify God the Father in worship. This is what Paul was asking believers to always obey.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Philippians 1:66 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

The Holy Spirit will not come inbetween us and the Son for us to relate to Jesus by way of the Holy Spirit using tongues as a prayer language, because Jesus said that is a thief that causes wayward believers to climb up another way in following a stranger's voice. Jesus reminds His disciples that God the Father gave the Son as the only means to come to God the Father by.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. 6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. 7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

The Holy Spirit cannot answer prayers.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The Holy Spirit can not give His own prayers, but rely on the Son of God in knowing the mind of the Spirit since it is His job as the only Mediator between God and men to give the "unspeakable" intercessions of the Spirit's for Him to the Father.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Romans 8::26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

You will know the real Holy Spirit by Him dweling in you for ever.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The spirit you are feeling outside of you, no matter how pleasant, it is not the Holy Spirit.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world....4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

You cannot receive the Holy Spirit again so that you know that the spirit coming over you, bring signs in the flesh and even the signs of tongues which comes with no interpretation is not the Holy Spirit.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The gift of tongues that the Holy Spirit manifest is not to serve as a sign to believers, but as a sign to unbelievers by speaking in their languages the gospel of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Those who receive the promise of the Spirit, do so by faith in Jesus Christ. We are not all known as the children of God by speaking God's real gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report....6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.....26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM

The problem of worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son is addressed in the OP.

Church history should have stuck with the Nicene creed of 325 A.D. and not went with the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D., but I reckon that is the danger when creating creeds that Jesus or His disciples had never taught any one to do, but be submissive to the Word of God as kept in the KJV.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:08 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
The TRUTH about everything in the universe, brought to you by PoorInSpirit.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
The problem of worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son is addressed in the OP.

Church history should have stuck with the Nicene creed of 325 A.D. and not went with the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D., but I reckon that is the danger when creating creeds that Jesus or His disciples had never taught any one to do, but be submissive to the Word of God as kept in the KJV.
325 A.D. is when the Trinity doctrine was born...Where was it before that?...

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The TRUTH about everything in the universe, brought to you by PoorInSpirit.
And only the Son can set you free in seeing that truth.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
325 A.D. is when the Trinity doctrine was born...Where was it before that?...
In His words.

Jesus testified of the Holy Ghost as well as of the Father as separate from Himself as the Son of God.

It was the error of applying the doctrine of the Trinity as justification for worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son when scripture testifies that the Holy Spirit is leading believers to testify of the Son to glorify the Son and by Him, God the Father as well. There is no other way to honour God the Father by and there is no other way to glorify God the Father by.

For our individual worship of Him to be true in worship in the eyes of God the Father, we are led by the Spirit of God sharing that same testimony of the Son from the Father in seeking to glorify the Son in worship, and thereby glorifying God the Father.

Believers cannot honour nor glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying the Holy Spirit.

Believers cannot honour nor glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying God the Father.

Believers can ONLY honour and glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying the Son.

And that is what the Spirit of God has been sent to do in leading believers in like manner.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
In His words.

Jesus testified of the Holy Ghost as well as of the Father as separate from Himself as the Son of God.

It was the error of applying the doctrine of the Trinity as justification for worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son when scripture testifies that the Holy Spirit is leading believers to testify of the Son to glorify the Son and by Him, God the Father as well. There is no other way to honour God the Father by and there is no other way to glorify God the Father by.

For our individual worship of Him to be true in worship in the eyes of God the Father, we are led by the Spirit of God sharing that same testimony of the Son from the Father in seeking to glorify the Son in worship, and thereby glorifying God the Father.

Believers cannot honour nor glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying the Holy Spirit.

Believers cannot honour nor glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying God the Father.

Believers can ONLY honour and glorify God the Father by honouring & glorifying the Son.

And that is what the Spirit of God has been sent to do in leading believers in like manner.
Where does it state that we are to WORSHIP Yeshua as we worship G-d?...

Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does it state that we are to WORSHIP Yeshua as we worship G-d?...
Check the OP, and pray for wisdom to see the truth in His words, brother.

Here's a little more help;

Matthew 14:33Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. 26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Hebrews 1:6And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

Revelations 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelations 7:10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. 11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelations 11:14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly. 15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, 17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

Last edited by PoorInSpirit; 02-15-2015 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Check the OP, and pray for wisdom to see the truth in His words, brother.

Here's a little more help;

You really have no clue what I know and understand and how long I have been studying...And I DO ask HaShem for wisdom everyday and it is leading me where it is leading me...

Quote:
Matthew 14:33Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.
You mean this one>>> Mat 14:33 and those in the boat having come, did bow to him, saying, `Truly--God's Son art thou.'

Bow to him, acknowledge...

Old 02-15-2015, 11:10 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
He is a Person of the Triune God that can be grieved.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

He serves as a separate Divine Witness that is in agreement with the other Two Divine Witness which is a requirement for a testimony to be established as true & thus why the witness of God is greater and thus how and why the One God can judge as He is the Triune God.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

Old Testament verifies that as God commands, so does He do by example.

Deuteronomy 19:15One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Jesus verified it.

Matthew 18:16But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Paul did. That's three witnesses that His word stands the same across the Bible.

2 Corinthians 13:1This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

The Father will only send the Holy Ghost by way of the Son of God & at our salvation, and His testimony will be the same for those that have heard the Good News before they were saved.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

The Holy Spirit will not speak for Himself, but only speak what He hears and what He speaks will always put the spotlight on the Son of God to glorify the Son so that you mat know what is not the Holy Spirit when errant believers share in the spotlight of the Holy Spirit with the Son and the Father, allowing seducing spirits to steal the spotlight with visitations of signs and wonders.

John 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

The mind of Christ that the Holy Spirit wants us to have is to keep that spotlight on the Son to glorify the Son and by Him, glorify God the Father in worship. This is what Paul was asking believers to always obey.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Philippians 1:66 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

The Holy Spirit will not come inbetween us and the Son for us to relate to Jesus by way of the Holy Spirit using tongues as a prayer language, because Jesus said that is a thief that causes wayward believers to climb up another way in following a stranger's voice. Jesus reminds His disciples that God the Father gave the Son as the only means to come to God the Father by.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. 6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. 7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

The Holy Spirit cannot answer prayers.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The Holy Spirit can not give His own prayers, but rely on the Son of God in knowing the mind of the Spirit since it is His job as the only Mediator between God and men to give the "unspeakable" intercessions of the Spirit's for Him to the Father.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Romans 8::26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

You will know the real Holy Spirit by Him dweling in you for ever.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The spirit you are feeling outside of you, no matter how pleasant, it is not the Holy Spirit.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world....4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

You cannot receive the Holy Spirit again so that you know that the spirit coming over you, bring signs in the flesh and even the signs of tongues which comes with no interpretation is not the Holy Spirit.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The gift of tongues that the Holy Spirit manifest is not to serve as a sign to believers, but as a sign to unbelievers by speaking in their languages the gospel of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Those who receive the promise of the Spirit, do so by faith in Jesus Christ. We are not all known as the children of God by speaking God's real gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report....6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.....26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
“ In general the Spirit of God in the Old Testament means his power and active influence in the world.” ..., Paul’s idea is closer to the Hebrew and early Christian conception of the active power of God, now identified with the influence and activity of Jesus.” - An Outline of Biblical Theology, pg 74-77, Millar Burrows, Winkley Professor of Biblical Theology Yale University Divinity School

Origen 185- 254(?) AD
We consider therefore, that there are three hypostases, [three entities, not necessarily three persons] the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit; and at the same time we believe nothing to be uncreated but the Father. (e.a).-Origen’s Commentary On John, Book II, chapter VI (6); ANF, fifth edition, reprinting of August, 1980, Vol. X (10),

The idea of the Holy Spirit, of the Spirit of God, was derived from Judaism, and it was generally believed among the early Christians that the Spirit was especially active in the Christian church. They did not speculate about the nature of the Spirit or about its relation to God and Christ. They commonly thought of it not as an individual being or person but simply as the divine power working in the world and particularly in the church....Apparently he was usually thought of in the early days as a mere divine power or influence. Often the term was employed simply to express the presence of God among his people. As time passed the tendency grew to think of him in personal terms, as the Father and Son were thought of...by the fourth century the idea of the Spirit as a separate person was practically universal. Arthur Chusman McGiffert, A History of Christian Thought, London, New York, Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1954, pp. 111,

In a sermon preached in 380 Gregory of Nazianzus gives an illuminatingpicture of the wide variety of views which still held the field. Some, he reports, consider the Holy Spirit to be a force [energeia, en-ERG-ay-ah, (ay = ay as in “hay”) “energy” or “operation”], others a creature, others God. Others, making the vagueness of Scripture their excuse, decline to commit themselves. J.N.D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines, p. 259.

Theos (Greek word for God)is still never used of the Spirit...Nowhere in the New Testament is there to be found a text with (The God) which has unquestionably to be referred to the Trinitarian God as a whole existing in three Persons....Karl Rahner, S.J., Theological Investigations, Baltimore, Helicon Press, 1975, pp. 138, 43.(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity