Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famsix View Post
I never read where it says its OK to divorce, It says if you do divorce, which I believe is sin and out of Gods will for any reason other than sexual immorality you will be committing adultry. Never does it say its OK under any circumstance. Love is a choice and we are commanded to love our spouse. Arent we all supposed to strive to be like Christ, does he ever stop loving us because we fell short, Of course no, Nobody says you have to follow any of gods commands but lets remember we took a vow before God and it says let no man seperate. As a reply to someones earlier post about if they hate one another, I think those folks that hate have problems beyond the marriage, There is nothing about hating that comes from the Lord. Lastly, If someone falls short we can either love them out of it or beat them down and the Lord I serve always stears me to the Love option. We will fail one another as spouses and its our duty to love one another thru it. In a conflict the only person you can change is you, so if your in a situation put your eyes on the Lord and fix you, I know that you will be blessed and come out a better person and if you both have your feet on the rock and both do the same you will realize a whole new level of love, I believe its Agape? the kind of love our saviour has for us,,
You assume that all divorces lead to re-marriage. That is not the case. Divorce can occur for many reasons... but re-marriage should be done in a manner that reflects careful obedience and consideration to ALL scripture. Remarriage should be done with wise council... IMO.

Didn't Jesus say Mar 9:47
If your eye causes you to sin, tear it out! It is better to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

Jesus does not say... after you get rid of the sin it's OK to remarry... he says get rid of what makes you sin. This could be a drug using spouse who you must steal and lie for, or a alcoholic spouse who beats their children, or.... the list is endless. Divorce is the tearing of one flesh.... but just as Jesus said it is better to enter with one eye.
You can not agape love a drug addict back to soberness... but You can have the courage to love yourself as God's work, and depart from sin. You can not agape love a adulterating spouse who refuses to leave the other person, runs off and abandons their family. You can not agape love a spouse who beats their spouse or kids to near death.
God does not want for anyone to stay inside such sin. Remember... Divorce is not always "forever", reconciliation can take place, with God's power.

Love is not a choice, unless we choose wrongly not to love, it is a commandment, the Royal Law. After marriage we are exhorted to "husbands love your wives, wives respect your husbands and live together in understanding.

Look at all scripture, and remember there are many, many hurting wonderful, beautiful people who just need to feel God's loving embrace, and know they are forgiven and are lovable. We kill way to many of our wounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have always thought that the bible was pretty clear about divorce. If you get divorced other than for infidelity, you cannot remarry or you are committing adultery. However many churches have come up with some interpretation to say that divorce is ok. Where does this come from? Is it just ignoring the bible to fit popular opinion?
I don't think that the churches are saying that is ok, but there are some situations that cause for divorce. Yes, God is clear that He does not like divorce, but God does allow divorce to happen, but that does not mean that it is His perfect will.

I don't believe in divorce, but I feel that their are certain situations that call for divorce, like a man who beat his wife, or a man who leaves his wife. I feel that these are certain situation that God may allow a person to have a divorce, but that does not mean it was his plan for divorce.

Now a couple is just not getting alone, then that does not give them the right to divorce, or the husband or wife just wants to be with someone else. That is not an excuse to get a divorce. Married is unto death.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Exclamation what do divorced people say? look at their eyes full of tears

Until you have been in the company of a large group (mostly women) of good, loving Christian people who happened to be divorced, as no result of their own doing, and see the tears, their pain, discover their sorrow, touch their children, know their guilt and suffering... it is wise to refrain from beating them over the head with "what the Bible says about divorce".

They are guilty of nothing! and what they need is other loving people to help them be released from the mire of guilt rendered by controlling ex-spouses, unsympathetic justice systems, spiritually limited psychologists, Christian sin counters, self righteous neighbors, unsympathetic teachers, and Bible text proofers ...ugh!!!!!.

I need some water.............

Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Until you have been in the company of a large group (mostly women) of good, loving Christian people who happened to be divorced, as no result of their own doing, and see the tears, their pain, discover their sorrow, touch their children, know their guilt and suffering... it is wise to refrain from beating them over the head with "what the Bible says about divorce".

They are guilty of nothing! and what they need is other loving people to help them be released from the mire of guilt rendered by controlling ex-spouses, unsympathetic justice systems, spiritually limited psychologists, Christian sin counters, self righteous neighbors, unsympathetic teachers, and Bible text proofers ...ugh!!!!!.

Thank you, Dave. xoxo

Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
pretty simple unless he cheated you are going to burn, i would suggest you get your order in for your asbestos suit asap. btw they dont take visa in hell.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
pretty simple unless he cheated you are going to burn, i would suggest you get your order in for your asbestos suit asap. btw they dont take visa in hell.
Clearly... one of us is not Christian.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,736 times
It would be a perfect world if we could all stay happily married! Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. I think I brought some of this up in the other thread re: divorce recently, but God in a sense referred to himself as Israel's husband and then because of her failure to abide by the covenant she swore to obey, HE first divorced the northern kingdom of Israel and then later the Southern kingdom of Judah, when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70A.D. Yet he says that He will restore them.

Also, Jesus used the greek term for 'put away' in the verses you have been quoting about remarriage amounting to adultery. It was popular in that time to just tell a woman you were divorcing her and putting her out without a written decree of divorce and then remarrying another woman and virtually forcing her to remarry in order to survive. That was adultery. According to the writer of that article, there was a perfectly good Greek word for 'divorce' which Jesus did NOT use in that passage. So it is probable that He was telling them that if they insisted on separating from their spouse and remarrying, that there should be a written document of divorce and in that case it wasn't a sin to remarry.

1 Corinthians 7:
27 Art thou bound (by law) unto a wife? Seek not to be loosed (from the bonds of marriage). Art thou loosed from a wife? Seek not a wife. 28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned.

The entire article on divorce and remarriage is here:

Divorce - The Bible says: Divorce and Remarriage is NOT Adultery (http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/divorce.htm - broken link)

It can offer some comfort and freedom from a sense of guilt for those who have divorced and remarried.
In any case, it is a shame when a marriage fails and we should be awed that God never fails to honor a promise he makes.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
Quote:

well said--since my awful divorce,i've encountered all of the above--even though my ex left when i became ill and disabled

Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Clearly... one of us is not Christian.
clearly one of us does not believe in the concept of punishment. we have reinvented god haven't we. we got rid of punishment its just reward now. the consequences for this false teaching are enormous.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
clearly one of us does not believe in the concept of punishment. we have reinvented god haven't we. we got rid of punishment its just reward.
Punishment is an archaic misunderstanding of consequences. There are ALWAYS consequences . . . some are positive and some are negative. They are NOT IMPOSED as punishments . . . except by humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity