Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Literal in a contextual sense. The hands of God are not literal hands.

Also we recognize God as the source of the content. He worked through the authors, and translators to produce what we have today. It's not the Word of God OR the Bible... it's both.
I think I see, thank you, Google was not helpful on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
That's what I mean though, I've never been to a service of any Christian denomination wherein the officiant was all like, "Let us read from the Bible we reject".
Yep, it is more of an individual thing and self serving.

Now there are churches that claim to respect it and yet reject parts like Genesis chapters 1,2 and 3.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
So essentially BB is a literalist interpretation of the Bible?
Only literal where it is. In many places symbolism is used, such as God destroying Jerusalem. The Babylonians did it, but it was His will that it occur. Many use "literalist" to reject the view without differentiating between believing the Bible is God's written word and those who see no symbolism at all, which is actually quite rare.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What's the difference between the two?
They're worlds different.

A Bible Believing person would basically see the scripture as something that by reading it as a ritual, you would somehow be saved, and see the rest of life as essentially meaningless.

A person who just believed in God's Word, would possibly see parallels to a Bible passage in their day to day life. Going out on a nature hike. Having a date. Even at work or watching TV. They might in fact have no contact with the Bible outside of church, but they try to live it.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

A Bible Believing person would basically see the scripture as something that by reading it as a ritual, you would somehow be saved, and see the rest of life as essentially meaningless.

A person who just believed in God's Word, would possibly see parallels to a Bible passage in their day to day life. Going out on a nature hike. Having a date. Even at work or watching TV. They might in fact have no contact with the Bible outside of church, but they try to live it.
I have never known or heard of anyone who believed:

"A Bible Believing person would basically see the scripture as something that by reading it as a ritual, you would somehow be saved, and see the rest of life as essentially meaningless.".

Bible believing is believing the Bible is God's written word. That is it. Those who actually do so would act at least as you describe in the next words you posted.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Literal in a contextual sense. The hands of God are not literal hands.

Also we recognize God as the source of the content. He worked through the authors, and translators to produce what we have today. It's not the Word of God OR the Bible... it's both.
Amen....

Old 02-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have never known or heard of anyone who believed:

"A Bible Believing person would basically see the scripture as something that by reading it as a ritual, you would somehow be saved, and see the rest of life as essentially meaningless.".

Bible believing is believing the Bible is God's written word. That is it. Those who actually do so would act at least as you describe in the next words you posted.
I know you've never met anyone who feels that. Because most of the religious people seem to take what they've been given at face value.

Are you sure the Bible is God's written word?

Are you sure it isn't written by people inspired by God/Satan/mood altering substances?

The Bible is NOT the WORD OF GOD: a polemic against Christendom

Viewing it as such, is to make it an idol. God's Word is the Creation, and Jesus. Nature, the universe, other people. The Bible is the word of those who have encountered God. Lowercase word.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Wrong. The written Word (the Bible) & the living Word (Jesus/God's Spirit) are the same, i.e. the same message. A true believer lives the written word.

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 02-17-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
I see and hear this expression often, what does it mean? What is a BB church? What is a non-BB church? Is it just a buzzword?

Don't all Christians "believe in the Bible"?
Depends who you ask.

Reza Aslan has a great explanation of this issue. Religion is just a language. Individuals who identify with a particular religion, in this example Christianity, don't all see things the same way. There are numerous denominations, and numerous individuals within denomination who all hold there own views.

When it comes to the Bible, belief is relative. Some people believe it is literally true, often these people are called fundamentalists because they tend to be unwilling to discuss other ideas. Then there are people who believe it's partially true, but told through an historical understanding of reality. So, Genesis is right when it says God did it, but the exact nature of how it was done was more an idea than an historical account.

There are so many different views. I consider myself 'culturally Christian.' I don't trouble myself with issues of the divine, but Jesus, the man, had a pretty good philosophy. All religious texts contain wisdom but some of it is outdated, in my opinion. Stoning homosexuals is wrong, rather born to one agrees with homosexuality being wrong or not. Even most conservative Christians would never agree with such barbaric treatment of people.

But what unites all Christians is the Bible. They can read Bible verses and they'll all know what's being discussed. They might view the verse in different ways, but there will be understanding among them.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong. The written Word (the Bible) & the living Word (Jesus/God's Spirit) are the same, i.e. the same message. A true believer lives the written word.
Wrong (again). The written word only becomes the Word in the hands of a believer who understands the truth of the Bible. Otherwise, they're just words on a page.

Sola scriptura
is a heresy. The truth of the Bible originally came from a source outside the Bible. Holding it up as an example "our church teaches the Bible" is like calling milk ultra-pasteurized as if it's something to be proud of. Just so you know, ultra-pasteurized kills the good bacteria of milk rendering it inert and without nutrition, it also cooks the vitamin D helpful for absorption of calcium and gets rid of lactase (an enzyme responsible for lactose tolerance). It's nothing to be proud of.

"Bible believing" means you have put your faith in a book instead of God. A "God fearing" person, who reads the Bible, sure that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity