Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,584,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It seems like the common thing to do on here is to simply state that Christianity is flawed look at what x group did. They committed these acts in the name of God, blah, blah, blah. This type of argument is extremely superficial, lazy, it's flawed and it proves nothing. If we use this type of thinking, we can find groups of individuals from almost any type of belief system, whether it be Muslims, Buddhists, Spiritualists, 5 percenters, Atheists, Agnostic, etc. and find groups or random individuals that have committed acts of atrocities, so does that mean that all of those religions are bad too? I rarely hear that argument for what others belief systems, only for the belief system they disagree with. Bottom line, the argument using people's actions doesn't prove anything. It just creates this false positive that somehow the people who commit these acts are devouts who are following orders when in fact it's quite the opposite.

Even when you consider the Bible and the actions that many have taken. Every action that was taken that was made contrary to the word of God, even by prophets and anointed leaders were met with consequences. Christians were never called to be perfect people, we are expected to strive for perfection. So why do so many use that as an excuse? David was, in my opinion, a perfect illustration of this. Was he perfect? Far, far from it, but every time he committed a wrongful act, he suffered consequences and this was even in spite of him being repentant of his actions. The point wasn't that he was perfect, but that he was growing closer to God and understanding the error in his ways.

Thoughts?
Biblical references for this opinion? Or, is this an exercise for Sociology 101?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Zealous believers of all RELIGIONS commit acts of atrocities..As MysticPhd stated, individual people are seen in the light of their love. Any written book, in ink or stone is a dangerous guide compared to a personal understanding of God-no matter hat name one calls the deity.
So when one condemns an entire religion, it is very possible there are individuals ho are not of the same brutality. But I would think if one as not in agreement, they would distance themselves.
When the name-it-and-claim-it crowd was popular and Dr.Dobson / Randall Terry started that murderous OPERATION RESCUE, I had to remove myself from the fundamentalist church (many refused to speak out against the OR group and many silently supported their actions by saying foolish things like they shouldn't have been there, they do not need to work there...yada yada yada.) and look for groups that actually respected free-will and recognized that agape love. Which is really bizarre, because the local christian franchised FM-radio station in the Detroit area was all about agape love, but spent so much time condemning the "sinner" and not enough time sitting down for dinner with the outcasts of society.
When the mainstream body witnesses such acts and refuses to address the people carrying them out, no matter what cult they are associated with, they are just as GUILTY.

What is free-will but self reliance? We alone determine the direction of our lives. While "God" (by any name) may very well be waiting for us in the here-after, it is OUR decisions that will get us there. Ultimately, it is "god's" decision in the end, but only we as people have the ability to chose right or wrong, bad or worse, or whatever comparative one wants to use--we are active participants based on our "beliefs."
Christianity is the same as any other religion, the minor differences do not make it unique, it just shows there has been alterations in the story that has been handed down from generation to generation and people of different cultures hold fast to certain theological aspects.
Zealous believers may, but then they are not true believers or they would be showing the Love Christ spoke of. This would not just be as individuals, but as a united group of believers (allowing for new and flawed members) and would be known for such.

KJV John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Of course we we see a Church that has shown non Christian actions for centuries we are looking at:

KJV 2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Claiming to be Christian is one of Satan's favorite tools and used by his servants regularly. It takes a knowledge of God's written word to see the difference. Oh, and a genuine love of God, not just a claimed one.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,926,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Christianity is are always looking for flaws in everyone, and everything but themselves. It is the faith of OR ELSE.
Isn't that what you essentially just did in your last statement????????

Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Biblical references for this opinion? Or, is this an exercise for Sociology 101?
Biblical reference in regards to what? David?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Isn't that what you essentially just did in your last statement????????
You are looking for flaws, yes? Do you have any biblical references for this opinion?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Biblical reference in regards to what? David?

I would like to read your biblical references to support your opinion.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I would like to read your biblical references to support your opinion.
It's my opinion just as you said. You are free to disagree. If you want to know more about what I am saying about David I would be happy to give you references, but I don't think that's what you want.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It's my opinion just as you said. You are free to disagree. If you want to know more about what I am saying about David I would be happy to give you references, but I don't think that's what you want.

Please post the biblical references for this opinion. I am glad you are glad to do it. I would find it helpful. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Please post the biblical references for this opinion. I am glad you are glad to do it. I would find it helpful. Thank you.
Do you understand what an opinion is? There is no Biblical reference for my opinion, because well, it's my opinion. It's an observation that I have made. There are people who do not believe in the Bible who have responded and agree that my point has validity. This isn't about the Bible, this is about an observation.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM

939 posts, read 790,813 times
Quote:
It seems like the common thing to do on here is to simply state that Christianity is flawed look at what x group did. They committed these acts in the name of God, blah, blah, blah. This type of argument is extremely superficial, lazy, it's flawed and it proves nothing. If we use this type of thinking, we can find groups of individuals from almost any type of belief system, whether it be Muslims, Buddhists, Spiritualists, 5 percenters, Atheists, Agnostic, etc. and find groups or random individuals that have committed acts of atrocities, so does that mean that all of those religions are bad too? I rarely hear that argument for what others belief systems, only for the belief system they disagree with. Bottom line, the argument using people's actions doesn't prove anything. It just creates this false positive that somehow the people who commit these acts are devouts who are following orders when in fact it's quite the opposite.

Even when you consider the Bible and the actions that many have taken. Every action that was taken that was made contrary to the word of God, even by prophets and anointed leaders were met with consequences. Christians were never called to be perfect people, we are expected to strive for perfection. So why do so many use that as an excuse? David was, in my opinion, a perfect illustration of this. Was he perfect? Far, far from it, but every time he committed a wrongful act, he suffered consequences and this was even in spite of him being repentant of his actions. The point wasn't that he was perfect, but that he was growing closer to God and understanding the error in his ways.

Thoughts?
People who dislike Christianity (especially that Christ is the only way), will find, use twist and manipulate any information they can to slam Christianity. Jesus said "By their fruits, you will know them". Those against Christianity only want to see "bad" fruit, and ignore all the good done in the name of Jesus Christ. When people slam Christians, just consider the source. The darkness rejects the light- plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity