Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
The person who looks pathetic and he hangs on a cross is the man made jesus. Humans need a god they can touch and see. Jesus is at the right hand of God, not hanging on some silly cross.
However, I believe he was hung on a cross. A real, literal cross. And died in the hands of angry, religious sinners whom he prayed for as they drove the nails into his hands and feet. That is a horrible way to die. He did it for us. To show us how to die that we might also live both now and in the world to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
God gave mankind the use of reason.

The OT was written by barbaric men from a very ancient era. Their view of God was colored by their ignorance.

Common sense should tell you God cannot be jealous or violent. These are qualities that illustrate the imperfection of humans. God cannot be imperfect.

It all boils down to being Sola Scriptura Bible Literalist or the use of common sense.

Christians are not supposed to throw common sense away.
Exactly that ^^^ otherwise his followers will become as barbaric as they imagine God to be, sadly.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I have no disagreement with your post.

But, some humans thrive with imagery, rituals, ceremony, scenery, etc. This simply stimulates the senses.

If you can get high on a vacuum, that is fine, but others get higher with additional stuff.

I keep a photo of my dead parents as my phone main image. It is just a JPEG, an inanimate thing, but it sure keeps me close to my parents. I could do it with no photo, but the question is: WHy not use the photo? Is this idolatry of my parents? Surely not!!!!!!!!

The early Christians got off on art, images, statues, and HUGE cathedrals, but this has nothing to do with idolatry.

When Peter Kreef walked into Saint Patrick's Cathedral he began his conversion form Calvinist to Catholicism. He was truly moved and felt closer to God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2NGGmWBQo

I do not condemn anyone and I did think many of the churches in Italy were truly beautiful. There is a beautiful side to Catholic art and buildings. But not being born or ever raised Catholic, it's just hard for me to find spiritual strength from all of it. I do loved stained glass and the Sistine Chapel is truly glorious. I love Catholics as much as I love everyone else.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've no idea how people don't.

"I come down to the river to cool my eyes. But everywhere I look I see fire; that which isn't flint is tinder, and the whole world sparks and flames." -- Annie Dillard
Oh, wow, what a glorious quote. Saving that one! Thank you. When I looked at my grandson as I held him, I just cried and cried for joy and the love I felt for him. My daughter (his mother) didn't understand why I would cry for joy. I think it is because I have more love in my heart now than I did when my own children were born. I adored them, but I don't recall crying over them like I did with my grandchildren.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Oh, wow, what a glorious quote. Saving that one! Thank you. When I looked at my grandson as I held him, I just cried and cried for joy and the love I felt for him. My daughter (his mother) didn't understand why I would cry for joy. I think it is because I have more love in my heart now than I did when my own children were born. I adored them, but I don't recall crying over them like I did with my grandchildren.

It is wonderful, isn't it, Heart_Song? If you haven't read Annie..... I think you'd love her. Start with "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and prepare to be enthralled.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I do not condemn anyone and I did think many of the churches in Italy were truly beautiful. There is a beautiful side to Catholic art and buildings. But not being born or ever raised Catholic, it's just hard for me to find spiritual strength from all of it. I do loved stained glass and the Sistine Chapel is truly glorious. I love Catholics as much as I love everyone else.
A tour of European ancient churches is something every Christian should do.

And to think some Christians want to destroy all that art and architecture.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It is wonderful, isn't it, Heart_Song? If you haven't read Annie..... I think you'd love her. Start with "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and prepare to be enthralled.
Thank you, I'm going to look for it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
God gave mankind the use of reason.

The OT was written by barbaric men from a very ancient era. Their view of God was colored by their ignorance.

Common sense should tell you God cannot be jealous or violent. These are qualities that illustrate the imperfection of humans. God cannot be imperfect.

It all boils down to being Sola Scriptura Bible Literalist or the use of common sense.

Christians are not supposed to throw common sense away.
That would make sense, as would God not punishing all of humanity for the "sins" of a particular couple, and not having to send his son as atonement for the punishment he ascribed to those who disobeyed his laws. See, once you assert common sense, then the tenets of Christianity fall apart.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorwald Johansen View Post
I have seen Christ standing on the right hand of The Lord God Almighty, in my vision, which was followed by a dream 'in riddles' [Numbers 12:6]. Not ONE man-made picture/image of Christ, is correct. So who is this 'man' who you worship, and draw/paint pictures of, and create images of? I know them not!
Here is mine..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRVzmqhjG0

Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That would make sense, as would God not punishing all of humanity for the "sins" of a particular couple, and not having to send his son as atonement for the punishment he ascribed to those who disobeyed his laws. See, once you assert common sense, then the tenets of Christianity fall apart.
Yes, those tenets do fall apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity