Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 PM

22,878 posts, read 28,151,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Well I disagree, I believe it's referring to future events.
I used to believe that, too. But the more I read of the historical events surrounding that time, the more I came to see that 95% of Biblical prophecy has already been fulfilled. For example...

"The abomination that causes desolation" prophecied in Daniel isn't talking about a future antichrist. It's talking about when the Roman general (I think it was Trajan, but I may be wrong) looted Jerusalem and sacrificed a pig (an unclean animal to Jews) to Jupiter (a pagan god) in the Jewish Temple. He then destroyed the Temple.

It's all past events in Daniel 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:50 PM

364 posts, read 764,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I used to believe that, too. But the more I read of the historical events surrounding that time, the more I came to see that 95% of Biblical prophecy has already been fulfilled. For example...

"The abomination that causes desolation" prophecied in Daniel isn't talking about a future antichrist. It's talking about when the Roman general (I think it was Trajan, but I may be wrong) looted Jerusalem and sacrificed a pig (an unclean animal to Jews) to Jupiter (a pagan god) in the Jewish Temple. He then destroyed the Temple.

It's all past events in Daniel 9.

did he set in the temple and proclaim to be God if not sorry he does not fit the bill

Titus is who destroy the second temple so is the 2 temple you are talking about?

if your talking about the second temple that who destroy it

The anti-christ to me will not sacrificed animals he will Cease sacrificed made to any others gods and procliam to be the one true God.

that how Isee it

Last edited by HistoryasIS; 01-12-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
did he set in the temple and proclaim to be God if not sorry he does not fit the bill
No. But Daniel 9:24-27 doesn't talk about that, which was the topic of the original discussion.

Quote:
Titus is who destroy the second temple so is the 2 temple you are talking about?
Yep. My bad. It was indeed Titus, not Trajan. Hey, I got the first letter right. Also, it was not Titus who sacrificed the pig in the temple. It was someone before that whose name I've forgotten.

Quote:
The anti-christ to me will not sacrificed animals he will Cease sacrificed made to any others gods and procliam to be the one true God.
With all due respect, reading comments like that, I have to wonder if dispensationalists have ever read the New Testament. The one who made sacrifice to cease was Jesus. He was the Final Sacrifice to whom all other sacrifices pointed. Once the Percect Sacrifice is made, no other sacrifice is needed. In fact, any blood sacrifice past that point is abomination.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No. But Daniel 9:24-27 doesn't talk about that, which was the topic of the original discussion.

Yep. My bad. It was indeed Titus, not Trajan. Hey, I got the first letter right. Also, it was not Titus who sacrificed the pig in the temple. It was someone before that whose name I've forgotten.

With all due respect, reading comments like that, I have to wonder if dispensationalists have ever read the New Testament. The one who made sacrifice to cease was Jesus. He was the Final Sacrifice to whom all other sacrifices pointed. Once the Percect Sacrifice is made, no other sacrifice is needed. In fact, any blood sacrifice past that point is abomination.

Daniel 9:27 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) Public Domain

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

one week in hebrew is 7 years this fits the 7 year tribulation. yes you are right there no need to kill animals due to Jesus>

But if you look on today news they been talking sometime about a third temple and they will most likely no-believeing jews kill animals again. This is where believers in the thrid temple will believe He The anit-christ will set in the temple stoping them and proclaiming his self God.

Jesus salvations offer is forever not just 7 years.

With all due respect, reading comments like that, I have to wonder if dispensationalists have ever read the New Testament. The one who made sacrifice to cease was Jesus. He was the Final Sacrifice to whom all other sacrifices pointed. Once the Percect Sacrifice is made, no other sacrifice is needed. In fact, any blood sacrifice past that point is abomination.[/quote]

yes they do

Old 01-12-2008, 04:45 PM

dispensationalists that is what they believe.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:52 PM

But my take on it is I do not worry.

The only thing i worry about is makng sure i spread the gospel of Jesus christ.

second coming 7 year tribulation or what you or I believe about them does not affect our salvation.

But what does affect salvation is accpeting Christ or not and that what i worry about.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,211,779 times
According to a literal interpretation of Revelation and Daniel, the anti-Christ will be somebody who is well liked and in sense a world leader. This anti-Christ will preside over the 7 year treaty. Bush is everything but well liked and is hated by the world.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
But if you look on today news they been talking sometime about a third temple and they will most likely no-believeing jews kill animals again.
The only people I read getting excited about that are dispensationalist evangelicals --- and for the very reason you've mentioned: They believe that the prophecies in Daniel, Ezekiel, Revelation, etc. are talking about the End Times, the Tribulation, the Rapture, etc.

But they aren't. The overwhelming majority of those prophecies were fulfilled long, long ago.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The only people I read getting excited about that are dispensationalist evangelicals --- and for the very reason you've mentioned: They believe that the prophecies in Daniel, Ezekiel, Revelation, etc. are talking about the End Times, the Tribulation, the Rapture, etc.

But they aren't. The overwhelming majority of those prophecies were fulfilled long, long ago.

if you mine asking what prophecy are left to come true?

you made it clear you believe most but not all came to past so what left?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
if you mine asking what prophecy are left to come true?

you made it clear you believe most but not all came to past so what left?
I am by no means an expert on Biblical prophecy. But as I understand it, the signs of the end will be:

1. General Preaching of the Christian Religion
Concerning this sign the Saviour says: "And this gospel of the kingdom, shall be preached in the whole world, for a testimony to all nations, and then shall the consummation come" (Matthew 24:14).

2. Conversion of the Jews
According to the interpretation of the Fathers, the conversion of the Jews towards the end of the world is foretold by St. Paul in the Epistle to the Romans (11:25-26): "For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, of this mystery, . . . that blindness in part has happened in Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles should come in. And so all Israel should be saved as it is written: There shall come out of Sion, he that shall deliver, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob".

3. Return of Enoch and Elijah
The belief that these two men, who have never tasted death, are reserved for the last times to be precursors of the Second Advent was practically unanimous among the Fathers, which belief they base on several texts of Scripture. (Concerning Elijah see Malachi 4:5-6; Sirach 48:10; Matthew 17:11; concerning Enoch see Sirach 44:16)

4. The Great Apostasy
As to this event St. Paul admonishes the Thessalonians (2 Thessalonians 2:3) that they must not be terrified, as if the day of the Lord were at hand, for there must first come a revolt. The Fathers and interpreters understand by this revolt a great reduction in the number of the faithful through the abandonment of the Christian religion by many nations. Some commentators cite as confirmatory of this belief the words of Christ: "But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?" (Luke 18:8).

5. The Reign of Antichrist
In the passage above mentioned (2 Thessalonians 2:3 sqq.) St. Paul indicates as another sign of the day of the Lord, the revelation of the man of sin, the son of perdition. "The man of sin" here described is generally identified with the Antichrist, who, says St. John (1 John 2:18), is to come in the last days. Although much obscurity and difference of opinion prevails on this subject, it is generally admitted from the foregoing and other texts that before the Second Coming there will arise a powerful adversary of Christ, who will seduce the nations by his wonders, and persecute the Church.

6. Extraordinary Perturbations of Nature
The Scriptures clearly indicate that the judgment will be preceded by unwonted and terrifying disturbances of the physical universe (Matthew 24:29; Luke 21:25-26). The wars, pestilences, famines, and earthquakes foretold in Matthew 24:6 sq., are also understood by some writers as among the calamities of the last times.

7. The Universal Conflagration
In the Apostolic writings we are told that the end of the world will be brought about through a general conflagration, which, however, will not annihilate the present creation, but will change its form and appearance (2 Peter 3:10-13; cf. 1 Thessalonians 5:2; Apocalypse 3:3, and 16:15). Natural science shows the possibility of such a catastrophe being produced in the ordinary course of events, but theologians generally tend to believe that its origin will be entirely miraculous.

8. The Trumpet of Resurrection
Several texts in the New Testament make mention of a voice or trumpet which will awaken the dead to resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:52; 1 Thessalonians 4:15; John 5:28). According to St. Thomas (Supplement 86:2) there is reference in these passages either to the voice or to the apparition of Christ, which will cause the resurrection of the dead.

9. "The Sign of the Son of Man Appearing in the Heavens."
In Matthew 24:30, this is indicated as the sign immediately preceding the appearance of Christ to judge the world. By this sign the Fathers of the Church generally understand the appearance in the sky of the Cross on which the Saviour died or else of a wonderful cross of light.

I got most of that from CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: General Judgment (Last Judgment), since it was the best general summary I could find.

Also, trying to get back to the original topic, I wouldn't worry too much about Bush going to Jerusalem or anywhere else being a fulfillment of end times prophecy. Read this: Mark P. Shea: How to Prepare for the End of the World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity