Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,138,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And if you think you can be saved without making that commitment to living in the principles taught by Jesus YOU are sadly mistaken.
I've never said that. The essence of the Christian life is when one realizes they can't do it on their own and they turn away from their sin and they throw themselves on the mercy of God.

Martin Luther said that "Faith alone saves, but not a faith that IS alone." We need to remember it's not faith + works.....but it is a faith that produces works, or that causes works to be present.
Quote:
You keep doing this even when the difference has been explained to you and you will NOT acknowledge the difference or the need for that commitment.

BTW, "Sin" or missing the mark has a new "mark" in the New Covenant: acting in love.

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.
OK? And HAVE you loved perfectly? Of course not. You're just like me and everyone else. The good news is that you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you're NOT obeying him? That means, by your words, you do not have the Holy Spirit.
So you've promoted yourself! Perhaps you should start a thread. "I can tell you if you have the Holy Spirit". People can present themselves and you can say, "You do. You do not. Turn to the left. Turn to the right. Nope. You definitely don't have it."

God will probably be surprised you've usurped his position but I'm sure you can explain it to him.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,876,103 times
If your post above is your perception, where does this come from? I think your stance is inconsistent, Vizio.

Quote:
So you're NOT obeying him? That means, by your words, you do not have the Holy Spirit.
Which was in response to:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince
Being human we all make regular mistakes. If that Holy Spirit is working through us, He .makes it possible to be acceptibe to God. But we need to confess when we make mistakes, and he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1John 1:9.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you've promoted yourself! Perhaps you should start a thread. "I can tell you if you have the Holy Spirit". People can present themselves and you can say, "You do. You do not. Turn to the left. Turn to the right. Nope. You definitely don't have it."

God will probably be surprised you've usurped his position but I'm sure you can explain it to him.
Try to follow along here, Dew. He said himself that if we obey, we have the Holy Spirit. So therefore, by his own admission, if he is NOT following along....that would be an indication that he has not met the prerequisite for the Holy Spirit. Since he said he does not perfectly obey, he cannot (by his theology) have the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Try to follow along here, Dew. He said himself that if we obey, we have the Holy Spirit. So therefore, by his own admission, if he is NOT following along....that would be an indication that he has not met the prerequisite for the Holy Spirit. Since he said he does not perfectly obey, he cannot (by his theology) have the Holy Spirit.
And then YOU got called for deliberately turning his confession of imperfection into a means to deny that he has the Spirit then, by making perfect obedience the requirement. Yes, Vizio, it IS about you setting yourself up as judge

Old 04-11-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And then YOU got called for deliberately turning his confession of imperfection into a means to deny that he has the Spirit then, by making perfect obedience the requirement. Yes, Vizio, it IS about you setting yourself up as judge
Again....if he is basing our having the Holy Spirit upon obedience, then none of us (him included) have the Holy Spirit. Because NONE of us perfectly obey God. Try to follow along, nate.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Again....if he is basing our having the Holy Spirit upon obedience, then none of us (him included) have the Holy Spirit. Because NONE of us perfectly obey God. Try to follow along, nate.
As I said before "obedience" is not a matter of perfection, it is a matter of commitment. Keep up.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
As I said before "obedience" is not a matter of perfection, it is a matter of commitment. Keep up.
A quick google search shows this: "compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another's authority.

The discussion that we were having was not about commitment, because the OP wasn't suggesting that we need to simply be committed, or trust...he was saying we need to obey God's commands.

Again...try to keep up.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
A quick google search shows this: "compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another's authority.

The discussion that we were having was not about commitment, because the OP wasn't suggesting that we need to simply be committed, or trust...he was saying we need to obey God's commands.

Again...try to keep up.

Try one more time. Obedience does NOT have to be perfect to be obedience. That is ONLY in your mind and the source of your failed judgement.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Try one more time. Obedience does NOT have to be perfect to be obedience. That is ONLY in your mind and the source of your failed judgement.
Actually...yes. That's what obedience means -- to follow a command. Failure to do is disobedience.

James wrote that 1 sin means we broke the entire Law. Do you not get that? Isn't that clear to you?

If I give my kid a list of 5 things to do, and she flat-out ignores me on 1 of them...she is disobedient even if she does the other 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity