Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,747,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Disagree. I believe salvation is a reprieve from doom.
Non-love leads to suffering. Suffering is most definitely "doom"

If she is saying Doom as in "hell" or "eternal suffering" then I would agree.

Salvation is a transformation from ignorance to knowledge. Non-Love to Love .
Well said, as usual .sparrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So the Spirit of God told you Paul was incorrect in that letter to the Romans?
No, the Spirit clearly indicates that there are some issues in the perceptions of whoever penned those passages. You can tell by the fruit.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, the Spirit clearly indicates that there are some issues in the perceptions of whoever penned those passages. You can tell by the fruit.
Fancy way of saying the Apostle Paul is wrong.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's a fancy way of saying that I doubt that Paul wrote it.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
See, I think that means men loved the darkness (which is their sin), rather than the light (Jesus). Verse 20 says they aren't afraid of the light, but rather what the light reveals (their sin). That's why people reject Christ today. No one wants to admit they're a sinner in need of a savior.
I understand. I think its a complex issue, Jimmie.
Sin comes with its own built in negative consequences, physical and emotional and psychological. But, often, the very sin that is causing us pain is also the thing we turn to to try to alleviate that pain because that is all we know. So, yeah, the thought of that thing being removed from us can deter us from receiving light. So, in that sense I agree with you that we love our darkness.

I think the passage encompasses this idea when it says that people are afraid that their deeds will be reproved by the light. When we're in the darkness, our thinking is so distorted. We beat ourselves up for being weak and not being able to get our life together, and we assume God will beat us up, too ... Chastise and punish us. We think God is like us and perhaps like people we may have dealt with: harsh, judgmental, unforgiving, vengeful. If that is what you think light is, of course you would run from it.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 AM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
So the Spirit of God told you Paul was incorrect in that letter to the Romans?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True believers will never actually confront the authorship issues, nate. The whole house of cards their faith is based on is anchored to a belief in the orthodoxy they have been indoctrinated with. It is not amenable to reason or logic or reality.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
same difference

Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
same difference
No, actually, it is not. You believe it to be the same because of your unrealistic assessment of the Bible, but to make you happy I will say that if Paul DID write it, he was wrong.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True believers will never actually confront the authorship issues, nate. The whole house of cards their faith is based on is anchored to a belief in the orthodoxy they have been indoctrinated with. It is not amenable to reason or logic or reality.
By the same token, if that passage is true, your theology comes tumbling down. Haven't I seen you quoting Paul?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
By the same token, if that passage is true, your theology comes tumbling down. Haven't I seen you quoting Paul?
You've seen me quoting passages attributed to Paul also......,when the Spirit confirms the truth of the passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity