Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Who decides what the Spirit approves?
It is a direct result of whatever implications result from applying agape love to the verse or situation and testing if it is compatible with agape love. You seem to have trouble understanding this simple idea of applyinf the Holy Spirit of agape love to EVERYTHING to determine what is of God and truth . . . NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men" derived from words "written in ink" and stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Who decides what the Spirit approves?
Jimmiej, if you are unable to perceive when the Spirit is moving in you---that's because it isn't.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Dang, Mystic, he asked ME. I get to answer...... oh, never mind you did a better job.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jimmiej, if you are unable to perceive when the Spirit is moving in you---that's because it isn't.
Gee, Warden, why don't you lay it out in plain English?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Dang, Mystic, he asked ME. I get to answer...... oh, never mind you did a better job.
Quote:
Gee, Warden, why don't you lay it out in plain English?
Come on Nate, you can play, too.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:24 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Don't you realize how wishy-washy this sounds? How would one perceive "when the Spirit is moving in you"? Do you get a tingle running up your leg, like Obama did for Chris Matthews? Do you start speaking in tongues and handling snakes? Do you get an erection? These are all examples of how someone can claim a Spirit moving in them, and who is to say they are wrong? I believe this "moving Spirit" is simply an overwhelming emotion, utilized by many cult leaders to herd their sheep.

If someone disagrees with you who claims to perceive the Spirit moving, and I know many who would, would you dismiss their claims as having the wrong Spirit or that their perception was wrong? Are their perceptions any more invalid simply because they don't agree with you?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
This is actually a question without a basis in fact, promise or reason.
Thank you. I don't think it's a great question at all. It's that same old tired Internet tactic you find on every message board where someone states their view and another person responds with "so what you're REALLY saying is... <insert leap to something the first person never said> ".

Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
There seems to be an odd pov among the inerrancy folks, clutched tightly, that the people who see the Bible as a work of men therefore dismiss it. Can it not be that we see great value in Scripture without having to resort to deifying them? Why not?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There seems to be an odd pov among the inerrancy folks, clutched tightly, that the people who see the Bible as a work of men therefore dismiss it. Can it not be that we see great value in Scripture without having to resort to deifying them? Why not?

YES !!!!!!

Just because I don't believe in god or that Jesus rose from the dead doesn't mean everything the religion teaches is bad. I don't see the big deal with that. Jesus was a flat out good teacher. The stuff I don't think happened doesn't change that fact. The bible, taught me that 6000 years ago people acted as stupidly as I do today. So why not try as I might to "at least" be no more stupid tomorrow then I was today.
The line I draw is when people use the literal religion as a weapon to control others. "accountability for" one's actions" is not the same as "you are going to hell if you don't think like me."

Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Don't you realize how wishy-washy this sounds? How would one perceive "when the Spirit is moving in you"? Do you get a tingle running up your leg, like Obama did for Chris Matthews? Do you start speaking in tongues and handling snakes? Do you get an erection? These are all examples of how someone can claim a Spirit moving in them, and who is to say they are wrong? I believe this "moving Spirit" is simply an overwhelming emotion, utilized by many cult leaders to herd their sheep.

If someone disagrees with you who claims to perceive the Spirit moving, and I know many who would, would you dismiss their claims as having the wrong Spirit or that their perception was wrong? Are their perceptions any more invalid simply because they don't agree with you?
You asked, I'll tell you. It feels like gas, but with no fart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity