Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,529 times

Advertisements

Rom. 8:[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The words of Jesus in the Lord's prayer;
[14] For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
[15] But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

I believe that if we have the Holy Spirit, Jesus says we must have a forgiving Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 AM

38 posts, read 31,148 times
Yes but if you choose to think as men do. It is easy to hold a grudge. It does not mean you don't have the Holy Spirit. You would be suppressing the spirit. You will be missing out on that close personal relationship that is available with the Holy Spirit and you will probably not heat him speak to you.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieman View Post
Yes but if you choose to think as men do. It is easy to hold a grudge. It does not mean you don't have the Holy Spirit. You would be suppressing the spirit. You will be missing out on that close personal relationship that is available with the Holy Spirit and you will probably not heat him speak to you.
See the words of Jesus in Matt. 18:[23] Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
[24] And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
[25] But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
[26] The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
[27] Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
[28] But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
[29] And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
[30] And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
[31] So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
[32] Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
[33] Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
[34] And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
[35] So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

I firmly believe that if we do not forgive our brothers, we are not saved. We must have the Spirit of Christ to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
We work towards these things, we are human beings. We are not God. We are not superhuman. When you get over your grudge and forgiveness settles into your spirit, your joy will be great.

We're to walk through this life experiencing and seeking LOVE (God is love.) And pursuing it.

We all have one foot on the road to desruction and one foot on the path that leads to life.
Your grudge is merely you leaning more heavily on your left foot (the one that is on the road to destruction) and not pursuing love in the matter.

Pursue LOVE in this matter... and forgiveness will come.

Peace,
sparrow

Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Peace,
sparrow
And love will recognize that the hurt that was caused you comes from a problem that the person who hurt you has (assuming that you have good cause for the grudge). The old saying that people who are hurt in themselves hurt others is valid and incorporating it into your attitudes will help.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Rom. 8:[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The words of Jesus in the Lord's prayer;
[14] For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
[15] But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

I believe that if we have the Holy Spirit, Jesus says we must have a forgiving Spirit.
And Jesus also said concerning receiving the Holy Spirit:
“Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” (John 20:22-23)
Jesus tells the complete truth ... half truths come from false teachers (Acts 20:30) and from Satan (John 8:44)

Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And love will recognize that the hurt that was caused you comes from a problem that the person who hurt you has (assuming that you have good cause for the grudge). The old saying that people who are hurt in themselves hurt others is valid and incorporating it into your attitudes will help.

I've had major grudges in the distant past and your advice you stated above is exactly what helped me. Just recently, I had a small grudge starting to fester up in me against someone who I felt was being very disrespectful about something... and it just kept irking me. But then, I started trying to muster compassion for this person thinking that I didn't really know what this person has been through in life, and some other thoughts, and sure enough... the grudge started to shrink and dissapear.

Great advice, nate.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
We work towards these things, we are human beings. We are not God. We are not superhuman. When you get over your grudge and forgiveness settles into your spirit, your joy will be great.

We're to walk through this life experiencing and seeking LOVE (God is love.) And pursuing it.

We all have one foot on the road to desruction and one foot on the path that leads to life.
Your grudge is merely you leaning more heavily on your left foot (the one that is on the road to destruction) and not pursuing love in the matter.

Peace,
sparrow
If we have received the Holy Spirit, a forgiving nature is one of the fruits of tht Spirit. Jesus said in Matt. 5:[21] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
[22] But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:04 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:

Peace,
sparrow
Two chocies

1. They never truly had faith and thus ignore God's direction on issues where they wish to follow their own desires (Common)

2. Had faith, were led by the spirit to see the need to forgive and reject the leading, thus rejecting God's spirit and no real faith. (This would be over time as many hurts take time to deal with).

Old 03-12-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Two chocies

1. They never truly had faith and thus ignore God's direction on issues where they wish to follow their own desires (Common)

2. Had faith, were led by the spirit to see the need to forgive and reject the leading, thus rejecting God's spirit and no real faith. (This would be over time as many hurts take time to deal with).

Why are you responding to what I've said with the above? I don't see the connection...

maybe I'm dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity