Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times

Advertisements

Has the Bible become an Idol? I believe it most definitely has. I found this article that is a little dated that discusses how so. I'm going to be looking for other writings about this topic to add to this thread. Please feel free to discuss. But try to make it something more substantive that saying I am bashing God's Word. We've already been over that claim.

Has the Bible Become an Idol?*|*Skye Jethani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I love it when someone says--THE BIBLE SAYS....

Yet not many will say--JESUS TAUGHT....or JESUS WANTS US TO....

Because it seems whenever someone uses the bible, it is 99% PUNITIVE

When they use Jesus, it is 99% COMPASSION and LOVE..

It is NOT WHAT WOULD JESUS DO
BUT, WHAT DOES JESUS WANT US TO DO.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 AM

709 posts, read 377,974 times
I have not read the article where the Op link lead's, because of my wanting english, but I can join in the Op, because I think, that peoples are too much like biblical christian's, than spiritual christian's today.

The Bible is good book, but just reading to it, the man do not grow to the perfection.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
When you reject the Bible, you reject God and His word as authoritative in your life.

Jn 12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day

Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

Mk 8:38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

Think about this. How can anyone say the love Jesus and trust Him but reject His words, HIs will, HIs teaching and commandments.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
When you reject the Bible, you reject God and His word as authoritative in your life.

Jn 12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day

Mt 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

Mk 8:38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

Think about this. How can anyone say the love Jesus and trust Him but reject His words, HIs will, HIs teaching and commandments.
Are we really talking about rejection of the bible here?

I just scanned the article, but aside (or with it), I have seen many a Christian in real life who is so fervent in their passion for living life by God's Word that they seem to have nearly missed the point of what God and Jesus are really teaching through their word.

There is plenty of profit in reading, knowing, and learning from the Bible for Chrisitans, without reaching the point where they are worshiping the Bible more than they are worshiping God too.

Not having proper balance can and does result in a lot of unrighteous actions being taken and justified through Biblical citations which should seem clearly wrong to a Christian who has a strong personal relationship with Jesus.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Has the Bible become an Idol? I believe it most definitely has. I found this article that is a little dated that discusses how so. I'm going to be looking for other writings about this topic to add to this thread. Please feel free to discuss. But try to make it something more substantive that saying I am bashing God's Word. We've already been over that claim.

Has the Bible Become an Idol?*|*Skye Jethani
yes.

when people have more objects to help focus themselves to be a better "themselves" then there will be less idols. When people focus on one "thing" we tend to raise that to "human life" equivalences. I mean, We do it with dogs. When I tell people if there were no large animals around but dogs we would be eating them. it grosses them out. That's a real piece of data right there.

That's why I like the Catholics and Hindu religions. They lessen the chance of over extending ourselves. OK, OK, you fundie militants, I said lesson, not remove. It doesn't mean they (or us) can't f.u.b.a.r it ... Fofo it up beyond all recognition. I love the USA, but that doesn't mean I agree with every rule we have.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times
Quote:

Dear augie,
You seem to confuse the bible with the testimony of Yeshua. The NT bible is mostly composed of the testimony of the self professed apostle Paul, his disciples, and unknown writers. The conclusion a major portion of the "Christian" community, based on their reading of your bible, is that Yeshua's testimony was nailed to the cross, and that one must walk the path of Paul's gospel of grace, which is antithetical to the gospel of Yeshua.

My conclusion is that you have mixed the leaven of the Pharisee with the good seed, and the results are a ruined loaf of bread.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 AM

709 posts, read 377,974 times
Quote:

Many people's today like accept the Bible, but reject to follow the doctrines of it. But because they read the Bible they may claim that they are true christian's even though, they do not follow the words on it. And the world today are full of, so called christian's like that.

If you truly love our Lord, you should go and sell everything extra in your life, and shared to those who have nothing, and follow the Lord Jesus.

21. Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. (Matt 19:21)

So do you really love God, and have the thirst to fill hes will, to follow him, no matter where, giving your self like living offering for God works, for salvation of the human souls, and eternal life?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Anyone who has a real relationship Christ understands the role the Bible plays in living out their faith.

This whole "Bible is an idol" nonsense is just an excuse to exercise one's own preferences and be your own god in lieu of dealing with who and what is in the book.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:

The same people who reject the Bible today would have rejected Jesus if seen \ heard in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity