Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
a quirk of the English language and old traditions---really doesn't change the essential meaning and reasons for how and why the day is observed and celebrated by Christians. as it is, don't think celebration of Jewish "Passover" is always exactly in sync in the calendar with the Christian "Easter" observance nor does that of the Eastern Orthodox always line up with the western observance (it did last year, I think) . whatever the name used or the exact date observed it's still about Jesus and his resurrection and that's really the most important thing I would think.
If it were so easy to shrug off as an innocent little custom. Then as an adult it would be easy to cast away such a custom.
1 Corinth ch 13:…10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
I respect your concerns and your sincerity in this matter but don't think the scripture you quote completely applies---the eggs and stuff are NOT being sacrificed to anything either pagan idol or Christian God and whatever association they might have once with paganism had is now an historical curiosity at best unknown by most everybody and ignored by Christians especially---because they know those gods are false and do not exist so the question of possibly honoring the non-existent is for many a really moot point

the egg thing is strictly for children's entertainment. can you point to any sincere Christians whose faith has really been compromised by easter eggs?

no one is required to believe anything about it as a matter of faith or religious practice or participate; even if it is sometimes "sponsored" by a particular church as a recreational activity of the kids OUTSIDE of those things pertaining to the worship and knowledge of God.

as already suggested, if it is a stumbling block to you as a matter of personal conscience by all means avoid it and explain it if you wish and as you can but your individual religious sensibilities are not necessarily binding on other Christians---or should we all indeed give up meat simply because some meat was once upon a time sacrificed to pagan idols??

perhaps the pagan idols that Christians should be concerned about are those of selfishness, worldliness, indifference, the single-minded pursuit of wealth and power, etc. and all the many other things (sometimes called the "deadly sins" of lust, greed, gluttony, sloth and all the other really fun stuff, LOL) of this world that people seduce themselves into following and "worshipping".

God bless you and give you a holy resurrection time.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-14-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
If it were so easy to shrug off as an innocent little custom. Then as an adult it would be easy to cast away such a custom.
1 Corinth ch 13:…10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.…
Then stop hiding eggs and giving chocolate bunnies to children. And allow those who love to see children smile and laughing to continue hiding eggs and giving chocolate to children.

How many eat the ears first?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then stop hiding eggs and giving chocolate bunnies to children. And allow those who love to see children smile and laughing to continue hiding eggs and giving chocolate to children.

How many eat the ears first?
Best part!

Pretend Easter bunny. Real chocolate.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
We are more Passover people (although we are NOT Jewish). Easter is too linked with Ishtar. The only place "Easter" is mentioned in the bible is where it is mistranslated from the Greek word "pasha". It should be Passover. Easter is another form of "Astarte", one of the titles of the Chaldean goddess, queen of heaven.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Ever since I was young this has been a question of mine. Yet hardly ever have I been given an explanation as to why we were hunting eggs when it is the day to be remembering The Christ Jesus. Most explainations given from the few congregations I talked to were, "it's symbolism". But always it weighed on my conscience and so after learning the confusion has lifted.
Well working backwards is not easy so I will try to explain it chronologically starting with Tammuz.
Tammuz is a name that is born a queen that comes from Babylon and is worshiped as the Goddess of the Moon. Wife of Nimrod was Semiramis(Ishtar(Venus)Moon Goddess of fertility or Moon rabbit Goddess of the moon. When you follow the history the story has been around for some time and migrated via continents slightly changing in detail. Though the story has evolved over time It has always was a retelling of a prophecy of a messiah to come. Nimrod in his perverse mind believed he was that prophecy and so began the worship of Baal. Baal is a son of perdition and in effect is one that would try to place Man as God. The son of Baal is Molech a fire god that if you sacrifice(kill in alter)Your first born son You will be given fertility crops ect. I 'll skip the phallic obelisk Idol and symbol that needs to be taken down if in God we trust. Just sayin. Egypt picked up on this and a few other things also. A litle old testament history reading will explain most in finer detail.
Back to is Ishtar miss goddess of the moon a female deity generally worshiped in pagan wicca still today. The retelling in Hindu religions are actually really deep in symbolism and in my opinion the most artistic version of the prophecy. But most I have already discussed in the other forums. Eventually a rabbit comes into the picture and it has eggs representing fertility. Weird like the story going around the room it never comes back the same. Kinda like a lie.

To my Christians out there let us remember the passover when Looking for Christ the Messiah. Hint Jesus.

God bless.
Dear Pin,
The tradition of Easter, feast of Astarte, was established by the Pontifex Maximus, Constantine, the king of Rome, during his convened Council of Nicaea. The false pagan type doctrine of the Trinity was also established at that same Council. The position of Pontifex Maximus, which was the office of caring for the pagan gods and the calendar, was first taken from the pagan high pagan priest by Julius Caesar, who was the 5th head of the beast of Revelation. Revelation was written during the period of the 6th head of the beast, and Constantine was the 7th head of the beast. We are now in the era of the 8th head of the beast. The world is already tainted by the 7th head of the beast, for the world somewhat follows the laws of Constantine, the beast given his authority by the dragon (Satan), and carry his mark.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Best part!

Pretend Easter bunny. Real chocolate.
The Easter bunny isn't real?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Oops.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
If he was it would be dark chocolate.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:58 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
I respect your concerns and your sincerity in this matter but don't think the scripture you quote completely applies---the eggs and stuff are NOT being sacrificed to anything either pagan idol or Christian God and whatever association they might have once with paganism had is now an historical curiosity at best unknown by most everybody and ignored by Christians especially---because they know those gods are false and do not exist so the question of possibly honoring the non-existent is for many a really moot point

the egg thing is strictly for children's entertainment. can you point to any sincere Christians whose faith has really been compromised by easter eggs?

no one is required to believe anything about it as a matter of faith or religious practice or participate; even if it is sometimes "sponsored" by a particular church as a recreational activity of the kids OUTSIDE of those things pertaining to the worship and knowledge of God.

as already suggested, if it is a stumbling block to you as a matter of personal conscience by all means avoid it and explain it if you wish and as you can but your individual religious sensibilities are not necessarily binding on other Christians---or should we all indeed give up meat simply because some meat was once upon a time sacrificed to pagan idols??

perhaps the pagan idols that Christians should be concerned about are those of selfishness, worldliness, indifference, the single-minded pursuit of wealth and power, etc. and all the many other things (sometimes called the "deadly sins" of lust, greed, gluttony, sloth and all the other really fun stuff, LOL) of this world that people seduce themselves into following and "worshipping".

God bless you and give you a holy resurrection time.
So in accordance by all means participate in worldly indifference and make preparations. Surely chocolate on the lentil and in the belly will be suffice. I guess thats where the term comes from put all your eggs in one basket.
Like I asked before. How come this custom if harmless is so hard to let go of?
Of course I understand both sides to the argument.
27If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake. 28But if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake; 29I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?…
Of course my main issue is why is it called Easter on the calendar and not Passover. Why else would the Passover be replaced by a foreign pagan worship-feastday. Just listen to the Christians around you and you will hear them speak in name calling passover easter instead of what it truly is. Putting in place in the foremost of the mind a foreign God.
The passover is the day of salvation to which we were grafted into the Tree of Life. Giving all inheritance. So can you answer in all honesty that Christians all over the world will call the day easter or will it be remembered as passover. ?
I just can't see how anyone who is sincere with God. Would even partake in paganism. I would not go around practicing voodoo on pentecost just to entertain the young ones even knowing it is ridiculous. I feel this would be mocking God. But of course these are my opinions and just felt inclined to share them in an open discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity