Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I have no problem going before God knowing that I tried to interpret what He put together to the best of my ability. You want to call that "spin"? OK You might as well say that the interpretation on an instruction booklet written by a manufacturer is spin.

I would rather be in my position - than the person that goes before Him and says "I didn't believe totally believe in the content."
So you would rather we LIE to God? But your salivation at the thought of my squirming on Judgment Day is in vain, because, get this--God already knows what I believe and don't believe in the collection of writings known as The Bible and why. You don't think I've talked about that with Him?

Perhaps you should pray for us. Thank God that you've been given the special insight to know that everything in that book is the absolute black-and-white truth, and ask Him to help us poor benighted fools who see variation and layers in what is written. Surely you'll get your reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

The same people who reject the Bible today would have rejected Jesus if seen \ heard in person.
Nooootttt exactly. The same people today who are praising their infinite knowledge of the Bible are the same ones who crucified Christ in His day. He had the gall to tell them they got it wrong. Those are fighting words for a fundamentalist and he/she starts throwing around fire and brimstone and snickering about how "liberals" are all going to burn in hellfire.

Those fundamentalist Jews knew the Bible of their day backwards and forwards. They had it memorized.

But Jesus questioned their understanding of Scripture then, like He questions those same people today. The Bible is no longer a book of inspiration. It is a how-to manual for fundamentalists on controlling the world around them---just as the article in the OP stated--if you'd care to read it again--or for the first time.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Actually, He already knows where you and I stand with regards to His Word.
But as others have pointed out, it is not our biblical knowledge nor understanding that will be weighed in the balances.

It's how we walked in his footsteps and treated all the people we came in contact that will make a difference at the throne. Remember that story about, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and did not feed you? Or when were you naked and we did not clothe you? Or in prison and we visited you not?"

And Jesus will say, "I don't think you stood up for the book of Leviticus the way you should have. There were far too many adulterous relationships taking place and I saw none of my people piling up stones to carry out the Law!"

You're going to have an interesting time before the Lord, but its hard to see how it will go that well. And that's why you really need to be concerned with grace and forgiveness more than biblical "knowledge."

Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But as others have pointed out, it is not our biblical knowledge nor understanding that will be weighed in the balances.

It's how we walked in his footsteps and treated all the people we came in contact that will make a difference at the throne. Remember that story about, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and did not feed you? Or when were you naked and we did not clothe you? Or in prison and we visited you not?"

And Jesus will say, "I don't think you stood up for the book of Leviticus the way you should have. There were far too many adulterous relationships taking place and I saw none of my people piling up stones to carry out the Law!"

You're going to have an interesting time before the Lord, but its hard to see how it will go that well. And that's why you really need to be concerned with grace and forgiveness more than biblical "knowledge."
I love reading Wardendresden's posts.

When we say the Bible is an idol, it means that, like every other idol, it blinds us to God.

Some years back, maybe fifteen now, a man I'd known since childhood because our parents were friends committed suicide. He had a chronic disease, he'd lost his job, his wife had taken their two little girls and moved to a different state and he had no money for a lawyer and no prospects for work. At 2 one morning, alone in his house, he shot himself in the head.

He was a nice guy, kind of shy and socially awkward, and as I said, we played together as little kids. It was so sad that this person who wouldn't harm a soul had gotten so low that he decided to end his life. My sister and I grieved at the news.

A few days later, my mother told me that Jim's parents had gone to church that Sunday. One of the men took his father aside and said, "I'm sorry about your son. Of course, we know from what the Bible says that he went straight to hell."

While I know most bible-as-inerrant adherents would not be that crass, it illustrates what can come of raising the written word to more than it is. A Christian's first reaction should be compassion, not "what bible verses can I make fit this situation?"

Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 PM

45,581 posts, read 27,180,466 times
The things on which you guys fixate amaze me sometimes ... Now I am expecting a Bible quiz at the judgment.

Meanwhile you guys are OK in claiming the Bible, which God inspired, has errors. And I'm the bad guy. Whatever...

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
The things on which you guys fixate amaze me sometimes ... Now I am expecting a Bible quiz at the judgment.

Meanwhile you guys are OK in claiming the Bible, which God inspired, has errors. And I'm the bad guy. Whatever...
Not a bad guy, probably.

Just naive and/or misguided.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 PM

45,581 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Really? You think there's going to be a chat about the Bible? I think there's going to be a chat about feeding the hungry..... taking care of the poor...... providing for the sick.....

"So let's review: Your neighbor was out of work for a year, his wife had breast cancer and his child had to give up Little League because he had no way to get to practice. And you did......?"

But if your belief is common among fundamentalists that explains why it's so hard to get mentors for young kids. Y'all must need a lot of time for interpreting the "correct" answers for your final exam.
It's simply amazing what I have turned into...

I defend the inerrancy of the Bible - and all of a sudden I'm heartless, I don't care for others... the presumption is truly amazing for someone you really don't know.

Very active imaginations out there...

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

When we say the Bible is an idol, it means that, like every other idol, it blinds us to God.

Some years back, maybe fifteen now, a man I'd known since childhood because our parents were friends committed suicide. He had a chronic disease, he'd lost his job, his wife had taken their two little girls and moved to a different state and he had no money for a lawyer and no prospects for work. At 2 one morning, alone in his house, he shot himself in the head.

He was a nice guy, kind of shy and socially awkward, and as I said, we played together as little kids. It was so sad that this person who wouldn't harm a soul had gotten so low that he decided to end his life. My sister and I grieved at the news.

A few days later, my mother told me that Jim's parents had gone to church that Sunday. One of the men took his father aside and said, "I'm sorry about your son. Of course, we know from what the Bible says that he went straight to hell."

While I know most bible-as-inerrant adherents would not be that crass, it illustrates what can come of raising the written word to more than it is. A Christian's first reaction should be compassion, not "what bible verses can I make fit this situation?"
I once had an encounter with the hardened hearts of a person I respected. I was young and unread so it confused me an shook my faith. Then I read the Bible and Gal 5:22 is now the word that is my shield.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Has the Bible become an Idol? I believe it most definitely has. I found this article that is a little dated that discusses how so. I'm going to be looking for other writings about this topic to add to this thread. Please feel free to discuss. But try to make it something more substantive that saying I am bashing God's Word. We've already been over that claim.

Has the Bible Become an Idol?*|*Skye Jethani
Way ahead of you there. You shall love the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.

There is no basis in this for "Bible-based" religion. The Bible is a book. Not seeing other scripture as also valid, not seeing other sources of truth as also valid, means you worship the Bible.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

That is so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity