Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:44 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,010,108 times

Advertisements

Isn’t it interesting that the very first mention of the word hypocrite in the New Testament is about someone who gives alms. It is immediately followed up with the second mention of the word hypocrite which is in reference to someone praying. Most interesting is that the only person who uses the word hypocrite is Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 PM

32,928 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Isn’t it interesting that the very first mention of the word hypocrite in the New Testament is about someone who gives alms. It is immediately followed up with the second mention of the word hypocrite which is in reference to someone praying. Most interesting is that the only person who uses the word hypocrite is Jesus Christ.
Many people like to parade their self-righteousness and boast about their good deeds, and to be seen doing them in order to be well thought of. That is their motivation. And yes, it is hypocritical. God looks at the motivation behind the deed. Doing a right thing for the wrong reason is wrong. Works done by a Christian with the wrong motivation will simply be burned up as 'wood, hay, and straw' at the judgment seat of Christ (1 Cor. 3:12-15). He himself however will be saved.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Many people like to parade their self-righteousness and boast about their good deeds, and to be seen doing them in order to be well thought of. That is their motivation. And yes, it is hypocritical. God looks at the motivation behind the deed. Doing a right thing for the wrong reason is wrong. Works done by a Christian with the wrong motivation will simply be burned up as 'wood, hay, and straw' at the judgment seat of Christ (1 Cor. 3:12-15). He himself however will be saved.
It is amazing how close to the truth you are and yet do not see it, brother. The theologians with their "precepts and doctrines of men" have confused you unnecessarily.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 PM

32,928 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is amazing how close to the truth you are and yet do not see it, brother. The theologians with their "precepts and doctrines of men" have confused you unnecessarily.
Don't presume to tell me what I do and do not see. And you are not my brother.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 PM

8,108 posts, read 6,851,897 times
Quote:
And you are not my brother.

Mike...
He is your brother.
Whether or not you want him to be at the moment.
He is.
peace,
sparrow

Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Mike...
He is your brother.
He is.
peace,
sparrow
Thank you, sparrow. There are none so blind, sis.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Oh from the mouth of an institutionalized church whose members call other's christianity into doubt, reject discussion on thoughts and refuse to look beyond that last period of the bible, comes the truest statement ever made above.

Then comes the following commentary and suddenly the fugly truth is once again revealed.

I would have to believe that Jesus would repeat His words in Matthew 16:23 to the next quote, at least the YOU ARE NOT MY BROTHER, after all, according to Jesus in Luke 10:30--37 we ought to know by now who our brother / neighbor really is.

Quote:

So those from the institutionalize church can be told the same by those they try to shame into joining a religious group?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 03-22-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 07:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Mike...
He is your brother.
He is.
peace,
sparrow
Quote:
Thank you, sparrow. There are none so blind, sis.
Matthew 18:19 is about all I gotta say about this..

Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Praying to be seen and giving alms to be seen is what Jesus was addressing. He was not saying praying and giving alms is hypocritical but rather the motive behind them if they were done to be seen of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity