Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 AM

939 posts, read 795,427 times

Advertisements

I agree with Mr. Graham. If people would simply do what they are told, then they wouldn't end up shot. Nobody wants to say this, because it's not "politically correct". and some blacks will scream racism. It's the truth, however. I don't particularly care for cops, but they have a difficult job, and generally aren't going to shoot somebody unless given good reason. Alot of people want to challenge them, and this only escalates the situation. Let's stop worrying about hurting feelings, and speak the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How ever wonderful Franklin Graham might think of himself, other christian leaders do not share the same image..

Seems his racism and bigotry are showing:

Franklin posted--

“Listen up—Blacks, Whites, Latinos, and everybody else. Most police shootings can be avoided. It comes down to respect for authority and obedience. If a police officer tells you to stop, you stop. If a police officer tells you to put your hands in the air, you put your hands in the air. If a police officer tells you to lay down face first with your hands behind your back, you lay down face first with your hands behind your back. It’s as simple as that. Even if you think the police officer is wrong—YOU OBEY. Parents, teach your children to respect and obey those in authority. Mr. President, this is a message our nation needs to hear, and they need to hear it from you. Some of the unnecessary shootings we have seen recently might have been avoided. The Bible says to submit to your leaders and those in authority “because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account.”

Open Letter to Franklin to STHU!

Maybe Franklin would do well to heed his own advise about AUTHORITY and RESPECT the PRESIDENT?
Can you point out the racism and bigotry? I don't see it. You don't like that he was talking to people of color? OK. Is it white guys that have been shot recently because they didn't comply with the orders given by police officers?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I agree. However, the way Franklin said it really sounded like "Don't question authority". And he would be VERY much in the wrong.
Where did he say that?

I see him talking about respecting authority at the time that you are in the situation, but I never saw him say not to question authority. I think it's clear his point is not to challenge authority in that manner.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
The thing is, no matter if the police officer is right or wrong at that moment, that is not the time to become belligerent. If you do become combative and the situation turns physical, you have no chance of escaping without either receiving physical harm or being blamed for the situation. Even if you are 100% right, your actions can be twisted to be something else. The advice that is given is smart advice. Obey them, listen to what they say, survive your situation and fight for you rights under better circumstances (like a court room).

Jesus certainly is about justice but he also encourages wisdom. What benefit do you gain from not obeying the police officers commands at that moment?
agree, we would be better to teach our younger ones to do just this and that is what he is saying. Let's assume folks are right about police being wrong or trigger happy, To be right and dead does you no good. To survive and win later is the wise course.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I agree with Mr. Graham. If people would simply do what they are told, then they wouldn't end up shot. Nobody wants to say this, because it's not "politically correct". and some blacks will scream racism. It's the truth, however. I don't particularly care for cops, but they have a difficult job, and generally aren't going to shoot somebody unless given good reason. Alot of people want to challenge them, and this only escalates the situation. Let's stop worrying about hurting feelings, and speak the truth.
Franklin is offering the truth for those who will listen. I am not a real fan of police and law enforcement but they do have a hard job to do in highly emotional environments. It doesn't make sense to make a bad situation worse.

get through the situation, comply with instructions, then take care of business.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Something is seriously out of whack with either your system or your cops.

In 2014, over 1,000 people in the United States were killed by police.

In Canada, between 1932 and March 15 of this year, police have killed 60 people.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Something is seriously out of whack with either your system or your cops.

In 2014, over 1,000 people in the United States were killed by police.

In Canada, between 1932 and March 15 of this year, police have killed 60 people.
Part of that is that Canada has about 35 million people. We have a city or 2 that isn't much smaller.

It's interesting...but I don't believe the police shootings in our country really happen in rural Nebraska or the small towns. In rural areas where gun ownership is commonplace...we understand how to react to an officer.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Part of that is that Canada has about 35 million people. We have a city or 2 that isn't much smaller.
Yes, we have about 1/10 of your population.

So yes, that accounts for a minute part of the discrepancy. I guess our cops should average more like 100 deaths a year instead of less than 1?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes, we have about 1/10 of your population.

So yes, that accounts for a minute part of the discrepancy. I guess our cops should average more like 100 deaths a year instead of less than 1?
Not really my point. My point is that it appears that these issues tend to be focused in bigger cities. What is it about the bigger cities that seems to increase crime and other bad things? I don't know. I recognize that Canada has a few large cities...but by and large, your country is much more rural than America, right?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Where did he say that?

I see him talking about respecting authority at the time that you are in the situation, but I never saw him say not to question authority. I think it's clear his point is not to challenge authority in that manner.

I never said he said that.

I said, it "really sounded like he was saying" don't question authority.

He said: "It comes down to respect for authority and obedience."

His statement needed to be balanced out by perhaps acknowledging the realities of abuse by those IN authority. Not just "obey, submit, have respect".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity