Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times

Advertisements

me three!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,419 times
I do not understand how anyone found a way to argue with the OP. I suspect because they were not looking for the good, pure, lovely and virtuous things. I would not want to have to live 24/7 with such contentious people. It has got to be a real drag.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Some of the responses here, remind me of those folks who scolded Jesus for helping people on the sabbath.
Me too. Some people do not want to get along with anyone who they do not agree with everything on. That's the most obvious thing. And they treat people like enemies and argue over even the least controversial conversations. Some people use the term "Curmudgeons" for those who are like that. I could not easily live under the same roof with someone like that. And I don't!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I do not understand how anyone found a way to argue with the OP. I suspect because they were not looking for the good, pure, lovely and virtuous things. I would not want to have to live 24/7 with such contentious people. It has got to be a real drag.
I haven't seen anyone argue. I only saw some people help the OP understand the meaning of the verse (focus on Godly things). Why should that offend anyone? Nothing contentious about it.

Now, you coming in to make it about other posters is another story.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I could not easily live under the same roof with someone like that. And I don't!
Well, you said your family avoids you because of never ending arguments about religion, so...... maybe you have something to do with it too. Look at the way you entered this conversation. You said nothing about the topic, you came in just to criticize other posters.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-29-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

Some people are prone, when looking at themselves (and/or at others), to seeing sin and ugliness. Apply the passage above to yourself and others, and make a point of seeking out and focusing on the good, the "spirit of God", within each of us.
yes. This is what I mean when I say how a person describes the god of the bible it is look into themselves. That doesn't mean I can't rip him every now and agin, but when I am mad, I can be mad at everything. And that's on me.

I get shredded when I change the word "Me" to "posters name". I always start at with "me". I get ripped, mocked, and banned when I say atheist do this as much as theist in the "athiest tone. I feel this way because we are all people and need to help each other. I don't believe in god so he's got nothing to do with it for me.

I learnt from "Noah"?
I don't believe in god, but what I see is that cloud formation and the pressure dropping fast .

Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I haven't seen anyone argue. I only saw some people help the OP understand the meaning of the verse. Why should that offend anyone? Nothing contentious about it.

Now, you coming in to make it about other posters is another story.....

Well, you said your family avoids you because of never ending arguments about religion, so...... maybe you have something to do with it too. Look at the way you entered this conversation. You said nothing about the topic, you came in just to criticize other posters.
I have not seen anyone help the OP understand what it means. I have seen other posters say it doesn't mean what the OP is saying.

Example one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Seeing good in yourself and others is cool, but that's not what the verse is referring to.
Example two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course the Spirit of God is active in me. I recognize that. But the verse doesn't say to think of yourself as great.

I asked the Pastor to explain what the bible taught him that it means and how it's impacted his life. I am still waiting.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have not seen anyone help the OP understand what it means. I have seen other posters say it doesn't mean what the OP is saying.

Example one.

Example two.

I asked the Pastor to explain what the bible taught him that it means and how it's impacted his life. I am still waiting.
anyone?
I see people saying focus on the good and see things as good as best ya can. I see the op saying "be balanced".

That doesn't explain anything? or help?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

Some people are prone, when looking at themselves (and/or at others), to seeing sin and ugliness. Apply the passage above to yourself and others, and make a point of seeking out and focusing on the good, the "spirit of God", within each of us.
Certainly not how I had been taught to look at it when I was a believer, but I think it is a more beneficial way of looking at it. And it is applicable even to those of us who don't believe...

I think there are a lot of things like this that most of Christianity is overlooking, unfortunately. So many want to focus on original sin that they gloss over "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness". Christianity often chooses to focus on the flaws rather than the likeness of God. Maybe a step back to focus on the good that is possible, the ability of people to change, to love, to grow would be beneficial. I think it was for me, but I was not able to find it and still hold on to faith.

I find that for me, the ability to see the good as well as the bad in myself, the recognition of my own ability to make positive change, and to choose for myself has brought me much closer to the "fruit of the Spirit" than praying, fasting, repenting, and crying out to God ever did...

-NoCapo

Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 AM

yeppers NoCap. well said.

PC i saw some post from you that helped.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
anyone?
I see people saying focus on the good and see things as good as best ya can. I see the op saying "be balanced".

That doesn't explain anything? or help?
It was also explained with words "focus on Godly things".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity