Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians attend a friends gay wedding?
YES 148 75.13%
NO 49 24.87%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,287,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide in Christ View Post
It won't be a 'mega-church', but it will be a real church. It may not be full of people initially but it will be full of the Holy Spirit which will lead people to repentance, turning from sin, the Spirit, love and life.
And full of people who never miss the mark, apparently. A utopia.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 7,194 times
Many "Christians" these days think they are in a holy war against homosexuality. God said nobody who engages in any sexual immorality is to be in the church or will inherit eternal life.

Neither will the greedy, idolaters, slanderous, revilers, thieves, drunkards, liars

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM

76,831 posts, read 47,136,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not offensive in and of itself, but it's often misused as a covering to spew hatred, most often for gay people.
I have never seen it used to cover hatred, or any connection to any particular sin, or group of people. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It doesn't even make sense to say "love the sinner" to cover hatred. Or maybe you are onto something, because we have a lot of people here who often talk about love, while displaying the opposite.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a quote from Mamatha Gandhi, who probably thought he was quoting the Bible. There is nothing demonic in loving the sinner, and the Bible talks a lot about dangers of sin.

Everyone is a sinner, just FYI.
Saint Augustine, borrowed by Gandhi...
Augustine sent a letter to a group of nuns..chastising them for the SIN of WANTING TO BATHE MORE FREQUENTLY, asking for more room to store packages from home, and the FAILURE of keeping their hair concealed within their habits.

Many evangelicals think "love the sinner, hate the sin" means the Christian is to assume current interpretations of the Bible are correct and, even when enforcing interpretation nicely, be unwilling to seriously consider arguments against them.

Any attempt to review previous moral judgments in light of new evidence about mideal meaning(s) of scripture, discussions about the moral relevance of science, or experiences of the LGBTQ community, in the mind set of evangelicals is always seen as the other side attempting to rationalize "sin."

My sins have been forgiven and PAID for with a PRICE on a cross over 2,000 years ago..

Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Many evangelicals think "love the sinner, hate the sin" means the Christian is to assume current interpretations of the Bible are correct and, even when enforcing interpretation nicely, be unwilling to seriously consider arguments against them.
How do you come up with this stuff?

You'll have to provide something to back up that claim.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you come up with this stuff?

You'll have to provide something to back up that claim.
Is it not true? Or are you saying you are WILLING to seriously consider alternatives?

As for backing it up, re-read the posts you have made on this thread..

Would you read it when I post it..introspection is difficult, but a necessary first step towards recovery..

Old 04-18-2015, 10:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,415,535 times
Quote:
My sins have been forgiven and PAID for with a PRICE on a cross over 2,000 years ago..
interesting that you would say that then to ignore how we honor God when we are PAID for with a PRICE:
" Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body,
but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?
You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
~ God
LGBTQ is not the "flee from sexual immorality"

Approving LGBTQ is rejecting the PAID PRICE on the cross 2000 years ago.

One who thinks LGBTQ is honoring God, God warns such people as being deceived and will "not inherit the Kingdom of God"

Old 04-18-2015, 11:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,862,341 times
As a christian I feel that it would exhibit arrogance and a lack of charity to circumvent a gay friends wedding. The thought of not going wouldn't enter my mind in the first place.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
interesting that you would say that then to ignore how we honor God when we are PAID for with a PRICE:
" Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body,
but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?
You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
~ God
LGBTQ is not the "flee from sexual immorality"

Approving LGBTQ is rejecting the PAID PRICE on the cross 2000 years ago.
Says you as God and Jesus surely had noting to say that can be proven or traced back to the original scriptures that no longer exist.

One who thinks LGBTQ is honoring God, God warns such people as being deceived and will "not inherit the Kingdom of God"
Again, while it is your OPINION, I am do not believe God agrees with it.

Interesting you would talk of honoring God, yet disrespect and insult your gay neighbors. When I have sex with my wife, and interestingly enough it is NOT for procreation reasons, are we participating in sexual immorality?

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Quit using red text.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Is it not true? Or are you saying you are WILLING to seriously consider alternatives?

As for backing it up, re-read the posts you have made on this thread..

Would you read it when I post it..introspection is difficult, but a necessary first step towards recovery..
I am just asking you to explain it.

How does "love the sinner, hate the sin" mean the Christian is to assume current interpretations of the Bible are correct?

It does not make any sense, so I asked you to explain how you make the connection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity