Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians attend a friends gay wedding?
YES 148 75.13%
NO 49 24.87%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am just asking you to explain it.

How does "love the sinner, hate the sin" mean the Christian is to assume current interpretations of the Bible are correct?

It does not make any sense, so I asked you to explain how you make the connection
How does "love the sinner, hate the sin" mean the Christian is to assume current interpretations of the Bible are correct?

The evangelical has to accept that the bible is correct in labeling what a sin is, so that they can continue using that sin as a basis for fear an damnation. (rationalize it any way they want, but this is what it comes down to, otherwise the evangelical would not be so pre-occupied with sin.)

This allows the evangelical to love the sinner while shoving the "sin" in their face. Just a means by which the church attempts to "convince" the sinner that they can over come the sin and find acceptance with Jesus, IF they adhere to the evangelical version of salvation and grace.

As Saint Augustine was saying to the nuns who wanted something as simple as WATER to bathe in, he was telling them that their request was a sin (challenging the church) but he still loved the nuns despite their sinful request and as soon as they accept the church's decision, they will be right with God, because it is obvious that ONLY Augustine had the CORRECT interpretation of what God wanted the nuns to do..

Much like all evangelicals' posts in this thread have said about and towards the LGBTQ community..

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I have a friend who I have known for years, but they turned to the gay lifestyle a few years ago and is now getting married. I dont support the LGBT lifestyle and even though they are a good friend, its still a surprise to me and I dont agree of her new lifestyle.

Would it be wrong as a Christian to attend a gay wedding supporting her as a friend or should I just stay away from it all together?
Beats me. Do you subscribe to Jesus' message of love?

What is the greatest commandment? Love God with your whole heart and your whole mind and you whole soul. And the second is like that. Love your neighbor as yourself. Who is my neighbor? Parable of the good Samaritan.

Do you follow the message of Jesus? Or are you subject to the party line?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

The evangelical has to accept that the bible is correct in labeling what a sin is, so that they can continue using that sin as a basis for fear an damnation. (rationalize it any way they want, but this is what it comes down to, otherwise the evangelical would not be so pre-occupied with sin.)

This allows the evangelical to love the sinner while shoving the "sin" in their face. Just a means by which the church attempts to "convince" the sinner that they can over come the sin and find acceptance with Jesus, IF they adhere to the evangelical version of salvation and grace.

As Saint Augustine was saying to the nuns who wanted something as simple as WATER to bathe in, he was telling them that their request was a sin (challenging the church) but he still loved the nuns despite their sinful request and as soon as they accept the church's decision, they will be right with God, because it is obvious that ONLY Augustine had the CORRECT interpretation of what God wanted the nuns to do..

Much like all evangelicals' posts in this thread have said about and towards the LGBTQ community..
Wouldn't it be easier to simply admit it doesn't make any sense? Don't be too proud to admit making a mistake.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply admit it doesn't make any sense? Don't be too proud to admit making a mistake.
I accept your realization it may not be sensible to everyone..Very big of you to admit that!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

What is the greatest commandment? Love God with your whole heart and your whole mind and you whole soul. And the second is like that. Love your neighbor as yourself. Who is my neighbor? Parable of the good Samaritan.

Good question.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Good question.
Thank you

Old 04-19-2015, 01:13 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
What is the greatest commandment? Love God with your whole heart and your whole mind and you whole soul.
Do you love your God by celebrating something He has declated sinful?

Quote:
And the second is like that. Love your neighbor as yourself. Who is my neighbor? Parable of the good Samaritan.
Do you love your neighbor by approving their sins? Do you love alcoholics by buying them booze?

Quote:
It has nothing to do with politics.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Do you love your God by celebrating something He has declated sinful?

OPINION

Do you love your neighbor by approving their sins?

I still have dinner with them, heir sin is between them and God.

Do you love alcoholics by buying them booze?

Not sure if it is LOVE, but yes I have bought and drank with an alcoholic, and yes she was over 21..

It has nothing to do with politics.

JESUS IS the "P" word and every decision we make is driven by the "P" word.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:35 PM

950 posts, read 923,878 times
Quote:

ah, but one must keep God's commandments as a way to love God

One can not profess to love God and then continue to sin.

( this was in one of today's church readings written by John )

Old 04-19-2015, 02:50 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Default As a Christian, should I attend my friends gay wedding?

The real question is . . . as a friend . . . how should you treat your friend? Ask yourself why God would want you to mistreat your friend? How would it in any way benefit you, God or your friend? Are we here as God's enforcers or are we here to love God and each other and let God deal with those "missing the mark?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity