Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Turn to any TV evangelist or sit in any MEGA church..

Michael Overd accused of using threatening language towards two gay men when he saw them holding hands in street
A Christian street preacher told two gay men they were "sinners" who would "burn in hell" as they walked past him on a busy high street, a court has heard.

Minister tells GAYS BURN BABY BURN

One preacher in Kansas told his congregation that Obama has gone too far and it’s now time for the federal government to systematically kill gay men and lesbian women.
Another minister in North Carolina, who referred to Obama as a “baby killer and homosexual lover,” gave a sermon in which he advocated rounding up the nation’s gay population in concentration camps and keeping them there until death.

Fixing the "gay" problem
Wackos will always be with us like the KKK or the communist party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
The question becomes one of selectivity regarding the definition of "sinful behavior". I'm an unmarried heterosexual who is sexually active. Does that not make me sinful?

What about the person who fails to honor their parents--sinful?

What about the person who rejects Jesus? For most Evangelical Christians, this is the ultimate sin.

If one wishes to argue that homosexual marriage constitutes a sin, it is one of hundreds of sins. So why concentrate on this one specific transgression as a rallying point, and as the focus of legislative lobbying.
Because the Supreme Court is taking up the case to legitimize it over traditional marriage. To change the meaning of marriage that is centuries old.

If you want to know what you are doing is a sin just read the Ten Commandants. That is easy enough. We all break one or two a day but we can also get back on track when we do it.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Because the Supreme Court is taking up the case to legitimize it over traditional marriage. To change the meaning of marriage that is centuries old.

If you want to know what you are doing is a sin just read the Ten Commandants. That is easy enough. We all break one or two a day but we can also get back on track when we do it.
MANY of the PATRIARCHAL folks who lived through OT times like David and Abraham, and LATER even the Mormons, all had a different understanding from what marriage is today.

I believe Jesus overwrote the 10 commandments with TWO new ones--

LOVE GOD

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR

and where does the 10 commandments condemn marriage equality?
Reading comprehension, it really does give understanding a whole new meaning, don't you think?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It gets worse because people think it's OK to tell someone "I won't serve you because you're gay." Expect push back. Jesus did NOT teach that.

While Jesus accepted everyone, prostitutes, thieves, etc. He never engaged in services with them and never celebrated their sins.

NO
H8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
First the behavior has to be sinful, right?

AND even IF it was sinful, how does providing a service like cakes or pictures enable the person to invoke sin?
Although you will refuse to hear it, providing a service through agreement/contract to be part of a sinful event, "gay" marriage, is sinful to the provider as they are a part of that celebration, showing approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
The question becomes one of selectivity regarding the definition of "sinful behavior". I'm an unmarried heterosexual who is sexually active. Does that not make me sinful?

What about the person who fails to honor their parents--sinful?

What about the person who rejects Jesus? For most Evangelical Christians, this is the ultimate sin.

If one wishes to argue that homosexual marriage constitutes a sin, it is one of hundreds of sins. So why concentrate on this one specific transgression as a rallying point, and as the focus of legislative lobbying.
Unless you try to force us to be a part of your fornication or take an active part in your other sins, we have no issue with you using your free will to commit every darn sin in the Bible. It is kind of like if your parents would not let you fornicate in their house because of religious beliefs but you could go sin somewhere else and that becomes something they are not a part of.

Quote:
Write this down: Being the person God made you to be is not a sin.

God gave us free will which is what makes us the person we are. God just gave us life and a direction to take with our lives if we wanted to follow him and if not, we can exercise our free will and not follow him. Again, if one is a homosexual, "person" with homosexual tendencies, they have choice on whether to sodomize or not. Free Will. We are not puppets of God. God does not bear the responsibility for our sin other than giving us a choice as to whether or not to do it and you can hardly blame Him for that. Everyone is always thinking they should have a choice so God was one step ahead.

NO
H8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When did Jesus ever suggest that what He was telling you should be applied to anyone other than yourself? When did Jesus suggest that YOU should try to enforce God's standards on anyone but yourself? When did Jesus suggest that loving God and each other meant dictating to others about anything???
Exactly. See your argument works. We only want to apply the moral standards to ourselves by not being a part of a sinful celebration. We aren't forcing our morals on others, we are just maintaining the morals by which we live by not joining in on homosexual marriage. See, it is so simple. Now people seem to be getting it! By abiding by our moral standards, we decline from being a part of an immoral/sinful celebration!!! You got it!!!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 04-03-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Over $500K Has Been Given to Memories Pizza in Indiana. One $20 Gift is Leaving People Speechless.

"In an environment of constantly whipped-up media outrage, it’s refreshing to see a member of the gay community adopt a more judicious and circumspect point-of-view about what’s at stake for all Americans.
Courtney Hoffman is not alone in this regard. Conservative talk radio host Tammy Bruce, who is also a gay woman, warned members of the LGBT community not to turn to the bullying that, unfortunately, many themselves have had to face in their lives."

Old 04-03-2015, 03:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Over $500K Has Been Given to Memories Pizza in Indiana. One $20 Gift is Leaving People Speechless.

"In an environment of constantly whipped-up media outrage, it’s refreshing to see a member of the gay community adopt a more judicious and circumspect point-of-view about what’s at stake for all Americans.
Courtney Hoffman is not alone in this regard. Conservative talk radio host Tammy Bruce, who is also a gay woman, warned members of the LGBT community not to turn to the bullying that, unfortunately, many themselves have had to face in their lives."
They have give MILLIONS to Joel Osteen as well...still doesn't make him RIGHT or a mouth piece for God.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Wackos will always be with us like the KKK or the communist party.
And quite a number are standing in pulpits around the country.

What this one recommends is reminiscent of Germany's concentration camps

This one has a pastor having his deacons beat up his own homosexual son in front of his church

The story of this pastor is he wants to slap a woman for opposing his views of homosexuality--and he proves himself to be both anti-gay AND anti-woman (this woman's wife should straighten her out)

Here is a pastor recommending punching "gay" acting children

Now here is a shocker---fundamentalists CAN change--it's not exactly a rousing welcome, but it's a far cry from what he use to do.
Quote:
Bob Jones III, chancellor of Bob Jones University, shocked LGBT activists by apologizing for anti-gay comments that he made 35 years ago.

In 1980, Jones made the remarks to the Associated Press while he and other fundamentalist Christian pastors were visiting the White House to oppose equal rights for LGBT people.

"I'm sure this will be greatly misquoted," Jones told the AP. "But it would not be a bad idea to bring the swift justice today that was brought in Israel's day against murder and rape and homosexuality. I guarantee it would solve the problem post-haste if homosexuals were stoned, if murderers were immediately killed as the Bible commands."

His comments were recently in the news again when authors of a 3-year-old Change.org petition noted that Jones had still not apologized.

Over the weekend, Jones shocked activists by finally apologizing for the comments.

"I take personal ownership of this inflammatory rhetoric. This reckless statement was made in the heat of a political controversy 35 years ago," Jones said in a statement. "Upon now reading these long-forgotten words, they seem to me as words belonging to a total stranger—were my name not attached."
"I cannot erase them, but wish I could, because they do not represent the belief of my heart or the content of my preaching. Neither before, nor since, that event in 1980 have I ever advocated the stoning of sinners," he added.

BJ Unity Executive Director Jeffrey Hoffman told WSPA that the apology was shocking.
"It is never too late to say you're sorry," Hoffman said. "Most people are just shocked. We never expected to see an apology."

But he pointed out that the apology was only a first step because LGBT people were still struggling for equality in South Carolina, where Bob Jones University is located.
Bob Jones Finally Apologizes 35 Years After Suggesting Gays Should Be 'Stoned' | Crooks and Liars

Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And quite a number are standing in pulpits around the country.

What this one recommends is reminiscent of Germany's concentration camps

This one has a pastor having his deacons beat up his own homosexual son in front of his church

The story of this pastor is he wants to slap a woman for opposing his views of homosexuality--and he proves himself to be both anti-gay AND anti-woman (this woman's wife should straighten her out)

Here is a pastor recommending punching "gay" acting children

Now here is a shocker---fundamentalists CAN change--it's not exactly a rousing welcome, but it's a far cry from what he use to do.

Bob Jones Finally Apologizes 35 Years After Suggesting Gays Should Be 'Stoned' | Crooks and Liars
They are sad and just because someone is at Church does not mean they are Christian. For I don't at all feel comfortable going to any church that is a fire and brimstone preaching and my church stays clear of fire and brimstone type of preaching.

Yet it through the work of the Holy Spirit that guided me to see that the practice of homosexuality byme is a sin, even if I look lustfully at another man. Reading the Bible did guides me but its the drive of the Holy Spirit that convict me of my sin.

When the Holy Spirit convicts people of their sin, He represents the righteous judgment of God (Hebrews 4:12). There is no appeal of this verdict. The Holy Spirit not only convicts people of sin, but He also brings them to repentance (Acts 17:30; Luke 13:5

Last edited by other99; 04-03-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Although you will refuse to hear it, providing a service through agreement/contract to be part of a sinful event, "gay" marriage, is sinful to the provider as they are a part of that celebration, showing approval.

You should know that I stopped listening to fundamentalists lecture about sin in the 80's. I got sick and tired of watching fundamentalist parents, who thought gays were sinners headed for hell, disown their own sons while they were dying of AIDS. Parents choosing their version of religion over their dying sons was one of the most sinful, wicked things I've ever seen. Thirty years later I'm still disgusted.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-03-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
You should know that I stopped listening to fundamentalists lecture about sin in the 80's. I got sick and tired of watching fundamentalist parents, who thought gays were sinners headed for hell, disown their own sons while they were dying of AIDS. Parents choosing their version of religion over their dying sons was one of the most sinful, wicked things I've ever seen. Thirty years later I'm still disgusted.
It is incomprehensible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity