Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Give a link to the law that they would have been violating had they refused to be a part of a homosexual marriage celebration. Again and again, I keep hearing about "law" yet I have yet to see a link and I have been asking for it for some time.
Google SCOTUS "equal protection." You should get several links to Supreme Court decisions. That would make it a matter of Constitutional law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are not being mocked . . . but if you were it would NOT be for standing up for Jesus. It would be because you blaspheme His Gospel of love with your judgmental anti-Christ doctrine of a wrathful, vengeful God. If you were standing up for Jesus you would be loving even your enemies (let alone homosexuals)! You do neither. Those who love know God and are born of God. Those who do not are NOT!
Sir, you don't know me personally so the only thing you are doing is painting yourself into a negative light by judging a person's heart based on a few internet posts. I happen to have the spiritual gift of mercy which gives me a strong desire to love and help people even gays. What I don't love is the SIN of homosexuality. You don't seem to get that. You think showing the love of Christ means you have to approve of their sinful lifestyle.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
You are not being mocked . . . but if you were it would NOT be for standing up for Jesus. It would be because you blaspheme His Gospel of love with your judgmental anti-Christ doctrine of a wrathful, vengeful God. If you were standing up for Jesus you would be loving even your enemies (let alone homosexuals)! You do neither. Those who love know God and are born of God. Those who do not are NOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sir, you don't know me personally so the only thing you are doing is painting yourself into a negative light by judging a person's heart based on a few internet posts. I happen to have the spiritual gift of mercy which gives me a strong desire to love and help people even gays. What I don't love is the SIN of homosexuality. You don't seem to get that. You think showing the love of Christ means you have to approve of their sinful lifestyle.
No . . . it has nothing to do with approval or disapproval. That is NOT your job. That is God's. Your job is to love God and each other. You do not love by judging and disapproving or approving. You do it by loving them, period. You show your love of God by controlling YOUR life . . . NOT others.

The desire to judge others and dictate to them is strong in our species . . . but it must be resisted . . . NOT promoted as a sign of faith in God. It is NOT part of spreading the Good News of the Gospel. It is perpetuating the Bad News of the OT wrathful God and judging others. There is no love in that. Those who love know God and are born of God. Those who do not are NOT!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I happen to have the spiritual gift of mercy which gives me a strong desire to love and help people even gays. .
My goodness. "Even gays"? How generous of you to include them.

Now then... how, exactly, does this gift manifest itself? Considering you've complained about being held up in traffic because of gay pride parades I'm shocked that someone with the "spiritual gift of mercy" would let something like traffic bother him.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My goodness. "Even gays"? How generous of you to include them.

Now then... how, exactly, does this gift manifest itself? Considering you've complained about being held up in traffic because of gay pride parades I'm shocked that someone with the "spiritual gift of mercy" would let something like traffic bother him.
Apparently, through that of condemnation.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
We as Christians are obligated to obey the law of the government as God said (Romans 13:1-3). If the laws are such that all business is obligated to do a particular service despite religious beliefs, then so be it. The Roman government was not exactly conducive to Christians and God's Word and yet God reminds us otherwise.

However, that doesn't leave government unaccountable, nor troublemakers who like in this instance people knowing full well that such a business is owned by Christians and are looking at least in being an irritant. If they were honestly looking for a business to provide something to them, the last thing I would expect is that they would want for same business to go out of business. They had alternatives but choose otherwise ... that will be something they will have to be give an account for.

Their motives for going into a Christian business aren't as pure as the wind-driven snow and the adults in the room know it.
Neither was the motives for black militants to sit down in white restaurants. It's purpose was to make changes to the law to prevent fundamentalist bigots from instituting their religious views on certain groups of people.

While there is much talk about violent gay activists, the largest activist group is one called Soulforce. It's hero is a guy called Gandhi. Every time they prepare to demonstrate all participants must go through a class on non-violence. They are taught to be more christian than christians when standing up for their rights under the law.

You could read The Cross in the Closet, by a former fundamentalist who went undercover as a "gay" man for a year and who participated in one of Soulforce's demonstrations outside the Catholic Diocese in New York. That author learned early on that he was frequently called "f a g s" by people when he played in a gay softball league. Once he started to respond and it was one of his truly gay buddies that rescued him from doing something that would have put him in jail.

Or you could try reading Mel White's book, Straight at the Gate, To Be Gay and Christian in America. Mel struggled against his homosexuality most of his life. When he finally came to accept himself he began to be a part of Soulforce and brought in the non-violent tactics of Gandhi to the group. And guess who helped him get established? None other than Jay Bakker, son of Jim and Tammie. The struggles of his parents led him away from his faith. When he found his way back to grace, he was a different man. He has a church now, but lives very modestly, and his message is the message of Jesus--acceptance. He published a short essay regarding his book, Fall to Grace, in which he wrote:

Quote:
Preaching grace opened my eyes to all kinds of suffering as well. It's what started me thinking about how Christians have mistreated the gay community, for one. I encountered numerous gay men and women who felt rejected and judged by their churches. This rejection often cost gay Christians their faith. Occasionally it cost them their families, in some tragic instances, it even cost them their lives as intimidation--in the name of God--drove them to suicide. I was appalled by our Christian behavior. If grace was real, then there was no excuse for acting that way toward any of God's children.
Jay Bakker, son of Jim & Tammy Faye, preaches inclusion - Explore

But don't put yourself out. You already KNOW without looking at a single word of any of these books, that all these "people" are just godless gay activists--even if they aren't gay. Your heart is hardened against thinking, and therefore you won't.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
I happen to have the spirit of discernment. There isn't an ounce of mercy in any post you've made about homosexuality. You don't seem to get that. You think showing the love of Christ means beating people over the head with a Bible you read in English that came from mistranslated Greek which came from a bad translation of Hebrew in a different culture over 2000 years ago.

The only reason you can't change is you think God hasn't. Well He hasn't changed, you just have failed to get the message from the start.

I'm showing you the love of Christ by not approving of your sinful lifestyle---fundamentalism. In that respect we are very much alike. We simply have different target audiences.

And if your posts are about mercy, please spare us from your charity. It would be the slap on the other cheek.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
The Bible said I would be mocked for standing up for Jesus. Guess that shows I'm on the right side of things.
Standing in the way of Jesus is how i see it. On the wrong side of things, just like Peter lopping off some poor geezers ear thinking he was standing up for Jesus

Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
If you were standing up for Jesus you would be loving even your enemies
So would you, but instead you judge and throw rocks.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Their motives for going into a Christian business aren't as pure as the wind-driven snow and the adults in the room know it.
In this case the only motive was to ask bait question in order to set the owner up for attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity