Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I am asking to understand what she/he is stating. I don't know anyone on here that presents the message the way she explains it so that's why I asked. If you know people and have examples of it, but you don't want to share it, then you could have said that from the jump. Instead she made excuses which leads me to believe she wasn't being honest which isn't unusually for people on here.
I do the same. I know some dopy atheist that don't understand that basing a belief of no god on gut feelings or irrational philosophy is exactly what fundies do with religion, They will ignore you if you try and say that. So it better not to say names.

I knw it not totaly honest, but hey,, we have to live together.

Quote:
I don't accept the title of a fundie because it's derogatory and in another place it would not be acceptable to use. I think there is an extreme misunderstanding of what people like myself actually believe and people too often make things trivial. I believe there is an eternal hell. I believe God gives us grace to get our lives together and to do the right things, but I also believe God gives us an opportunity to change. Hell should not be the focus of what we present but it should be a part of the message because if someone is deeming Christ a savior we need to define what he is saving us from.
this is ware we part. The cross was a "lesson". You were saved from "ignorance". It may be bliss, but it is still lack of understanding. salvation is "teaching" when a student and teacher learn together its a miracle.

Hell, is not a literal place. It can't be. For you to have any of the negative emotions of hell they need the exact configuration of your brain. Plus, god made you with the ability to chose "not him" so that we trudge on.

it's funny. I look around here and elsewhere and think, I am not one of these angry apes. I understand we are a set of universal events passing through having a human experience. There is no death, no "saving".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Having good sense is subjective. You aren't answering the question. How do I know I should believe what you say is right, just because you say it's right? How do you prove to me that what you believe is the right thing?
If you had the courage to really look at and then answer the questions you would know.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you had the courage to really look at and then answer the questions you would know.
We had a thread about this. The points that you are trying to address have been addressed here:

When it comes to morality, does the definition of harm change from person to person?

The conversation in this thread is the reason why my opinion on those questions doesn't matter. You are trying to argue harm just like others did in the other thread, but most agreed that harm is a subject term.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is ware we part. The cross was a "lesson". You were saved from "ignorance". It may be bliss, but it is still lack of understanding. salvation is "teaching" when a student and teacher learn together its a miracle.

Hell, is not a literal place. It can't be. For you to have any of the negative emotions of hell they need the exact configuration of your brain. Plus, god made you with the ability to chose "not him" so that we trudge on.

it's funny. I look around here and elsewhere and think, I am not one of these angry apes. I understand we are a set of universal events passing through having a human experience. There is no death, no "saving".
Do you believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
In this particular instance, simple good sense will do. What is the purpose of your punishing (in any form) a child?
Is it merely to extract vengeance for disobedience? If it is, what does that make you if not a child abuser?
Is it to instill a lesson to improve the conduct and the social well-being of the child? How is that possible if there is no provision for reinstating that child into society?
Quote:
Having good sense is subjective. You aren't answering the question. How do I know I should believe what you say is right, just because you say it's right? How do you prove to me that what you believe is the right thing?
Are you admitting to a disability here??? Are you really unable to use the absolute standard of truth revealed by Jesus to test the Spirit of anything against the Spirit of agape love who IS God???? Are you that estranged from the truth God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant?? Are you that insensitive to the guidance from within of the Comforter (Holy Spirit sent in Christ's name)??? How do you operate under such a disability???

Old 04-11-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you admitting to a disability here??? Are you really unable to use the absolute standard of truth revealed by Jesus to test the Spirit of anything against the Spirit of agape love who IS God???? Are you that estranged from the truth God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant?? Are you that insensitive to the guidance from within of the Comforter (Holy Spirit sent in Christ's name)??? How do you operate under such a disability???
Let's assume know nothing about Christianity, I don't know much of anything about Jesus. Why should I believe what you are saying is true?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Let's assume know nothing about Christianity, I don't know much of anything about Jesus. Why should I believe what you are saying is true?
But that is the beauty of it. We need know nothing . . . because God has "written in our hearts" and provided the Comforter in Christ's name to guide us to the truth. We do not need anyone to teach us what is agape loving and what is not. The ultimate truth of Christ is that God IS agape love and Christ abides with us . . . whatever we THINK we believe or do not believe. That IS the Good News we are to spread . . . NOT some mess of "precepts and doctrines of men." Christ has reconciled us to God and revealed that God IS agape love by teaching and ultimately by the strongest possible example unto death. As Christians we have the advantage of this knowledge . . . but that is not a requirement. All any of us have to do is love God and each other every day and repent when we don't. That can be done by people completely ignorant of Christ because He is within ALL human consciousness as the Comforter. All the worldly concerns over belief systems and whatnot are irrelevant. If anyone is NOT sensitive to His presence within their consciousness . . . that is a very sad state of affairs. They may think it is their conscience . . . but it is Christ as the Comforter. We all have it and we need no one to teach us.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Do you believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God?
This is a non sequitur. Plenty of people believe it is inerrant with regard to faith and practice. That is not the fundamentalist view (your view) that scripture is verbally inerrant.

And despite being given dozens and dozens of conflicting scripture and failed prophecies (many as delineated by professors of Old and New Testaments, your dogma forces you to make up a story that you the n consider is equally inerrant because, if it happened in the way you dream up, verbal inerrancy remains true. You won't even accept views by extremely conservative scholars such as Professor Daniel Wallace that there are verses in our English Bibles that simply aren't in the oldest available manuscripts.

And using YOUR definition of inerrancy if only one little, bitty item is shown lacking merit, the house of cards tumbles.

But you won't be convinced and I'm not trying to do that. I'm pointing out to future open minded readers just how ridiculous they will be to adopt such a foolish position.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
But that is the beauty of it. We need know nothing . . . because God has "written in our hearts" and provided the Comforter in Christ's name to guide us to the truth. We do not need anyone to teach us what is agape loving and what is not. The ultimate truth of Christ is that God IS agape love and Christ abides with us . . . whatever we THINK we believe or do not believe. That IS the Good News we are to spread . . . NOT some mess of "precepts and doctrines of men." Christ has reconciled us to God and revealed that God IS agape love by teaching and ultimately by the strongest possible example unto death. As Christians we have the advantage of this knowledge . . . but that is not a requirement. All any of us have to do is love God and each other every day and repent when we don't. That can be done by people completely ignorant of Christ because He is within ALL human consciousness as the Comforter. All the worldly concerns over belief systems and whatnot are irrelevant. If anyone is NOT sensitive to His presence within their consciousness . . . that is a very sad state of affairs. They may think it is their conscience . . . but it is Christ as the Comforter. We all have it and we need no one to teach us.
So how do I know you aren't some pyscho that has lost his mind? You tell me you have written on your heart, but you could be just a nutcase. I could also claim that I received this same spirit but have different beliefs than you, so who's right and who's wrong?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
So how do I know you aren't some pyscho that has lost his mind? You tell me you have written on your heart, but you could be just a nutcase. I could also claim that I received this same spirit but have different beliefs than you, so who's right and who's wrong?
Nut cases have rule books that excuse their ugliness toward other people and blessing them while they sit in pews "believing."

People with the spirit of God in their hearts have found grace and mercy, therefore they practice grace and mercy on those around them---especially those sinners fundies are fond of shaking their rule book at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity