Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 PM

277 posts, read 227,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I do all those things, and more:

I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Don't be so self-righteous or pious, give to others; and enjoy that
Caramel Macchiato.
I cannot count how many times that 'lifted' truck was filled with groceries for those in need.

Having the means to be there for others is a blessing, not a curse.

Imagine how much more you could have done with the $25,000-$40,000 (not including interest) that you blew on that 'lifted' truck. Don't act like you have done something special by giving out of your abundance- Jesus has words for folks like you...

Mar 12:41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Luk 21:1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
Luk 21:2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
Luk 21:3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:

You sound like one who will say in that day 'Lord Lord, have I not done many wonderful works in your name'... And He will say; 'sure you did, but you never repented of your covetous lifestyle-and you stored up earthly treasure. I never knew you...

Go sell that 'lifted' truck-it is an idol and a lust of the flesh. It is in no way being content with food and raiment...

TC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,196,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post
Imagine how much more you could have done with the $25,000-$40,000 (not including interest) that you blew on that 'lifted' truck. Don't act like you have done something special by giving out of your abundance- Jesus has words for folks like you...

Mar 12:41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Luk 21:1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
Luk 21:3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:

You sound like one who will say in that day 'Lord Lord, have I not done many wonderful works in your name'... And He will say; 'sure you did, but you never repented of your covetous lifestyle-and you stored up earthly treasure. I never knew you...

Go sell that 'lifted' truck-it is an idol and a lust of the flesh. It is in no way being content with food and raiment...

TC
I am sorry but it sounds like it is you blowing your own trumpet. Those who do good simply for the sake of doing, do not keep record of what they have done and doing good is as natural as breathing for them.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM

546 posts, read 545,604 times
Jesus said that no one comes to the Father except through Him. (Jn 14:6) He also said that no one comes to Him unless the Father draws him. (John 6:44) When we combine those statements with what Peter said; "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:", then it is readily easy to see that we are to work things out within ourselves so that the hope that is within us exudes out from us in a manner that others will "ask" us what it is about. There is no need to go about advertizing and proseletizing in the name of Jesus, when we haven't been specifically called to do so. And we ARE NOT all called to do this. The Father is more capable than any of us to draw those that are ready to hear. If we would wait for this moment and know the Lord well enough that we can discern when this moment is in each person, then there would be less hate and a peace in discussing the Lord to others. It is always better to answer the questions of others than to think that we are obliged to "sell" Jesus to others.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,685,010 times
Quote:
We actually agree on something... (Unless you were just being facetious)

"Oh, I agree. I agree so wholeheartedly I think all businesses holding themselves out to be Christian should be REQUIRED by state law to preach to everyone that enters their place of business. They should be REQUIRED to put a tract in the hand of every customer".

And every business holding themselves to be 'Christian' already is required to... By Jesus:

Tit 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

The rest of what you said is for the ekklesia to do, according the the will of God. It is not a function for Caesar:

Jer 17:5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.

Most Christians today are rendering to Caesar what is God's... Their trust and allegiance. Caesar is king for most American 'Christians'. They rely on and trust Caesar for their safety and stability, rather than God-just like the Pharisees did... And they will be rejected just like the Pharisees were.

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

TC
We do agree, but for different reasons. I'm not sure about yours, but my reason is that doing so would soon put most of those Christian businesses OUT of business. We are to be a part of the world without being IN the world.

You might look up the Barna Group's research on Christianity. Barna is a conservative Christian researcher. One of his most recent surveys has concluded that the attitude of most churches toward LGBT rights is a prime reason for EVANGELICAL millennials leaving the church.

Quote:
The Barna Group released a new poll last week in which the proposed question was: “Are Christians more like Jesus or the Pharisees?” Christians get accused of hypocrisy all the time, so why not see if there’s some statistical evidence to back up the claim?
According to the Christian Post:
The findings were derived from 1,008 telephone interviews of which 718 respondents self-identified as Christian from Nov. 11 until Nov. 18, 2012. Respondents who identified themselves as Christian were asked 20 questions, ten of which compared their responses to Jesus’ actions and attitudes and ten of which compared their responses to the Pharisees of the New Testament.
The Barna Group’s questions included rating oneself on “Christ-like” statements such as:
  • “I listen to others to learn their story before telling them about my faith.”
  • “I regularly choose to have meals with people with very different faith or morals from me.”
  • “I see God working in people’s lives, even when they are not following him.”
  • “I feel compassion for people who are not following God and doing immoral things.”
Or “Pharisee-like” statements:
  • “I don’t talk about my sins or struggles. That’s between me and God.”
  • “I try to avoid spending time with people who are openly gay or lesbian.”
  • “I like to point out those who do not have the right theology or doctrine.”
  • “I feel grateful to be a Christian when I see other people’s failures and flaws.”
David Kinnaman, president of the Barna Group and the chief organizer of the study, said:
Obviously, survey research, by itself, cannot fully measure someone’s ‘Christ-likeness’ or ‘Pharisee-likeness.’ But the study is meant to identify baseline qualities of Jesus, like empathy, love, and a desire to share faith with others—or the resistance to such ideals in the form of self-focused hypocrisy. The statements are based on the biblical record given in the Gospels and in the Epistles.
So what did they find?
The findings reveal that most self-identified Christians in the U.S. are characterized by having the attitudes and actions researchers identified as Pharisaical. Just over half of the nation’s Christians—using the broadest definition of those who call themselves Christians—qualify for this category (51%). They tend to have attitudes and actions that are characterized by self-righteousness.

Read more: Barna Shock Poll: Christians Still Need Jesus

And those young millennials--taking over at Christian colleges and universities:
Quote:

Evangelical colleges likely face generational differences in attitudes toward sexuality as younger evangelicals develop friendships with people who are gay, says David Kinnaman, president of the Barna Group, a Christian market research firm.

There has been a shift from rightness to fairness,” Kinnaman said. “There’s a real sense in which their institutional loyalty and their loyalty to theoretical morals and ethical choices are trumped by their peer relationships.”

About 40% of evangelicals between the ages of 18 and 29 are likely to say homosexuality should be accepted by society, compared to 24% of evangelicals who are older than 30, according to the 2007 religious landscape survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. But there is still less acceptance of homosexuality by evangelicals than by other young people. The same Pew poll found that 63% of Americans age 18 to 29 say homosexuality should be accepted by society, as do about half of Americans ages 30 to 64.
------------
OneWheaton is working to change that in some in-your-face ways. During one homecoming weekend, the group held a concert featuring Jennifer Knapp, a former contemporary Christian Music musician who came out as a lesbian in 2010. Although I disagree with painting sexual orientation and gender identity as a biblical sin, Wheaton has a right to that interpretation,” Knapp said. “But I don’t know how you can be welcoming but not affirming.”
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...-gay-students/

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-05-2015 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: added college millennial info

Old 04-05-2015, 02:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,280,490 times
Quote:
Envious? Not at all... It makes me sick that people spend their money on the things of the flesh, when they should be serving God. Before I was born again, i was all about the flesh; nice houses, lifted trucks, 'toys', flying to and fro for vacations, twice a day to Starbucks for a $3.95 'Caramel macchiato', spending a hundred bucks a week eating at restaurants... Just to name a few. I gave up my old life for a new and better life in Christ. Jesus removed all of that stuff from my heart, and caused me to see life from the perspective of the gospel. American Christians are lukewarm and don't even know it... Most don't follow Him, they follow the world-while 'claiming to know Him':

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

If He has 'taught you', you will do what He said it...

Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Eph 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Eph 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
Eph 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

That is the whole gospel in a nutshell, and it isn't grievous. Maybe you should give it a try eh...

TC
Quote:
I do all those things, and more:

I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Don't be so self-righteous or pious, give to others; and enjoy that
Caramel Macchiato.
I cannot count how many times that 'lifted' truck was filled with groceries for those in need.

Having the means to be there for others is a blessing, not a curse.

Quote:

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am sorry but it sounds like it is you blowing your own trumpet. Those who do good simply for the sake of doing, do not keep record of what they have done and doing good is as natural as breathing for them.
You cannot stand on the corner with a sign that says, "will work for food," while condemning others.
And I surely do not stand on the corner preaching "hellfire and brimstone" when a lifted truck goes by?

Isn't it about time to stop using the Bible to condemn others, as you "blow your own trumpet?"

Pure and genuine faith in the sight of God the Father is caring for others.
And refusing to let the world of Religion corrupt your heart and mind.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:35 PM

277 posts, read 227,177 times
Quote:
You cannot stand on the corner with a sign that says, "will work for food," while condemning others.
And I surely do not stand on the corner preaching "hellfire and brimstone" when a lifted truck goes by?

Isn't it about time to stop using the Bible to condemn others, as you "blow your own trumpet?"

Pure and genuine faith in the sight of God the Father is caring for others.
And refusing to let the world of Religion corrupt your heart and mind.

"Isn't it about time to stop using the Bible to condemn others, as you "blow your own trumpet?" "

Don't 'blow your trumpet'... And see what happens to you on the day of Judgment...

Eze 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

In addition,

1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
1Co 9:15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
1Co 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1Co 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

It is no surprise that you don't want to sound your trumpet... Your hypocrisy would be exposed...

Add to the word of God much?

"Pure and genuine faith in the sight of God the Father is caring for others.
And refusing to let the world of Religion corrupt your heart and mind".

How about actually using that Scripture correctly:

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I can do all things through Christ... Do you have the power of God, or do you have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof...?

1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Do you have access to the power of God through faith? Can you even grasp the concept... What kind of 'faith' do you have?

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Heb 11:24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
Heb 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

Heb 11:32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
Heb 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Examine yourself (according to Scripture-not according to American Christianity) and see if you are truly 'in the faith'. True faith has evidence...

TC

Last edited by The Town Crier; 04-05-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
True faith has evidence...

TC
...which is shown in the form of action, not lip service.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,251,318 times
Quote:
It comes down to this; The 70% + that call themselves Christians have no voice because they love money more than God. They will choose to live in the flesh, and so the ungodly prosper in their ways. If the 70% that call themselves Christians quit supporting wickedness, the country would be in a far better place and God's divine grace would return to it... But that requires Christians to humble themselves and repent. By the sounds of most posters on this forum that call themselves 'Christians', that will never happen... 'Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall'.

TC
No, the seventy percent enjoy living happy lives. There is more to being alive than being a mouth piece for whatever God or Goddess that you worship. It's easy for someone who isn't successful to demand the successful turn their backs on it .

Old 04-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
What kind of 'faith' do you have?
That which comes from knowing, not surmising.

Surmising is indicative of having an impure heart.
Which attributes a selfish motive to any good deed.

Last edited by Jerwade; 04-05-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,196,712 times
Quote:
"Isn't it about time to stop using the Bible to condemn others, as you "blow your own trumpet?" "

Don't 'blow your trumpet'... And see what happens to you on the day of Judgment...

Eze 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

In addition,

1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
1Co 9:15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
1Co 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1Co 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

It is no surprise that you don't want to sound your trumpet... Your hypocrisy would be exposed...

Add to the word of God much?

"Pure and genuine faith in the sight of God the Father is caring for others.
And refusing to let the world of Religion corrupt your heart and mind".

How about actually using that Scripture correctly:

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I can do all things through Christ... Do you have the power of God, or do you have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof...?

1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Do you have access to the power of God through faith? Can you even grasp the concept... What kind of 'faith' do you have?

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Heb 11:24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
Heb 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

Heb 11:32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
Heb 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Examine yourself (according to Scripture-not according to American Christianity) and see if you are truly 'in the faith'. True faith has evidence...

TC
In one post you have almost quoted the scriptures as many times as Jesus did in three whole years. Preaching peace to those who were near and to those that were afar off was the sheet music Jesus played from.
Now i do not know what you think afar means or who the afar are, but whatever you think it means, a song of peace was played to them.

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and peace on earth and goodwill to all men.”

Last edited by pcamps; 04-05-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity